Masanori Sasaki MD, PhD
Visiting Assistant Professor of Neurology
Cell Transplantation for Spinal Cord Injury and CNS diseases
Extensive Research Description
interest is in the area of cellular transplantation to repair spinal cord
injury. My work has primarily utilized neural cells derived from adult tissues
and processed for transplantation into injured spinal cord. I developed cells
from the olfactory system called olfactory ensheathing cells (OECs) that
display unique properties that assist normal axon growth of olfactory sensory
neurons into the brain. I have also engineered adult stem cells derived from
bone marrow to hypersecrete a neurotrophic factor and has found that these
cells are neuroprotective. Collectively, my research has important clinical
implications and could lead to a clinical study in spinal cord injury patients.
- Matsushita T, Lankford KL, Arroyo EJ, Sasaki M, Neyazi M, Radtke C, Kocsis JD. (2015) Diffuse and persistent blood-spinal cord barrier disruption after contusive spinal cord injury rapidly recovers following intravenous infusion of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells. Exp Neurol, 267:152-164
- Suzuki S, Kawamata J, Iwahara N, Matsumura A, Hisahara S, Matsushita T, Sasaki M, Honmou O, Shimohama S. (2015) Intravenous mesenchymal stem cell administration exhibits therapeutic effects against 6-hydroxydopamine-induced dopaminergic neurodegeneration and glial activation in rats. Neurosci Lett. 584:276-81.
- Lankford KL, Brown RJ, Sasaki M, Kocsis JD. (2013) Olfactory ensheathing cells, but not schwann cells, proliferate and migrate extensively within moderately X-Irradiated juvenile rat brain. GLIA, 62: 52-63
- Suzuki J, Sasaki M, Harada K, Bando M, Kataoka Y, Onodera R, Mikami T, Wanibuchi M, Mikuni N, Kocsis JD, Honmou O. (2013) Bilateral cortical hyperactivity detected by fMRI associates with improved motor function following intravenous infusion of mesenchymal stem cells in a rat stroke model, Brain Res, 1497:15-22.
- Honmou O, Onodera R, Sasaki M, Waxman SG, Kocsis JD. (2012) Mesenchymal stem cells: therapeutic outlook for stroke., Trends Mol Med, 18(5):292-7.
- Sasaki M, Honmou O, Radtke C, Kocsis JD (2011) Development of a Middle Cerebral Artery Occlusion Model in the Nonhuman Primate and a Safety Study of
I.V.Infusion of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells,
PLoS ONE, 6(10):e26577.
- Radtke C, Sasaki M, Lankford KL, Gallo V, Kocsis JD (2011) CNPase Expression in Olfactory Ensheathing Cells, J Biomed Biotechnol, 608496.
- Sasaki M, Lankford KL, Radtke C, Honmou O, KocsisJD Remyelination after olfactory ensheathing cell transplantation into diverse demyelinating environments, Exp Neurol, 229 (1): 88-98
- Sasaki M, Lankford KL, Brown RJ, Ruddle NH, Kocsis JD (2010) Focal experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis in the Lewis rat induced by immunization with MOG and Intraspinal injection of VEGF, GLIA, 58(13):1523-31.
- Sasaki M, Radtke C, Tan AM, Zhao P, Hamada H, Houkin K, Honmou O, Kocsis JD (2009)
BDNF- hypersecreting human mesenchymal stem cells promote functional recovery, axonal sprouting and protection of corticospinal neurons after spinal cord injury, J Neurosci, 29(47):14932-41.