Chronic Disease; Education, Medical, Graduate; Ethics, Medical; Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Adult; Terminal Care; Pulmonary Medicine; Sepsis
Brain Aneurysm & AVM Program
Dr. Mark Siegel, the Program Director of the Traditional Internal Medicine Residency, is involved in multiple clinical research studies. For several years he has participated in multicenter clinical research trials investigating new treatments for sepsis and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), in addition to other facets of critical illness. Dr. Siegel has several ongoing research projects conducted with Yale trainees, in areas such as the management of sepsis, end-of-life decision making, and psychiatric disorders in the next-of-kin of ICU patients.
Specialized Terms: Sepsis and ARDS treatments; Chronic illness; Ethics; End-of-life decision making
Extensive Research Description
I am interested in studying the factors that influence end-of-life decision making by ICU clinicians and the family members of critically ill patients. In conjunction with this I am interested in the emotional, religious, educational, and cognitive factors that influence how choices are made.
I also maintain a strong focus on new treatment strategies for ARDS and sepsis as well as a striving for a better understanding of the factors that underlie the pathogenesis and outcomes of critical illness.
I am also working on a project to determine the degree to which concerns about long-term dependence on life support influence patients' wishes regarding life sustaining interventions.
I am also engaged in a project focusing on the factors that drive clinicians to provide clinically ineffective interventions in the ICU.
- Akgün KM, Kapo JM, Siegel MD. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Dec;36(6):921-33
- Bongiovanni T, Long T, Khan AM, Siegel MD. J Grad Med Educ. 2015 Mar;7(1):19-20
- Rabach L, Siegel MD, Puchalski JT, Towle D, Follert M, Johnson KM, Rademaker AW, Leder SB. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Jun;12(6):859-63
- Netzer G, Siegel MD. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Feb;12(2):237-8
- Lewis-Newby M, Wicclair M, Pope T, Rushton C, Curlin F, Diekema D, Durrer D, Ehlenbach W, Gibson-Scipio W, Glavan B, Langer RL, Manthous C, Rose C, Scardella A, Shanawani H, Siegel MD, Halpern SD, Truog RD, White DB; ATS Ethics and Conflict of Interest Committee. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Jan 15;191(2):219-27.
- Gutiérrez A, Sauler M, Mitchell JM, Siegel MD, Trow TK, Bacchetta M, Fares WH. Heart Lung. 2014 Nov-Dec;43(6):574-6
- Christine Argento A, Kim A, Knauert-Brown M, Boffa D, Siegel MD, Jafari B, Puchalski JT. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol. 2014 Apr;21(2):150-3
- Kapo J, Siegel MD. Crit Care Med. 2013 Oct;41(10):2443-4.
- Honiden S, Abdel-Razeq SS, Siegel MD. J Intensive Care Med. 2013 Mar-Apr;28(2):93-106
- Sauler M, Siegel MD. The Past, Present, and Future of Advance Directives as a Guide to End-of-Life Decision Making. Chest 2012; 141:9-10.
- Siegel MD, Perez MT. Within the Black Box: Exploring How Intensivists Resolve Conflict at the End-of-Life. Crit Care Med 2012; 40:1339-40
- Kaplan LJ, Siegel MD, Eastman AL, Flynn LM, Rosenbaum SH, Cone DC, Blake DP, Mulhern J. Prehosp Disaster Med. 2012 Dec;27(6):583-8
- Siegel MD, Stapleton R, Wunsch H. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2012 Aug;33(4):382-92.
- Agrawal A, Zhuo H, Brady S, Levitt J, Steingrub J, Siegel MD, Soto G, Peterson MW, Chesnutt MS, Matthay MA, Liu KD. Am J Physiol Lung Cell Mol Physiol. 2012 Oct 15;303(8):L634-9
- Akgün KM, Siegel MD. Crit Care Med. 2012 Jun;40(6):1978-80.
- Siegel MD, Perez MT. Crit Care Med. 2012 Apr;40(4):1339-40.
- Vilarinho S, Siegel MD. J Postgrad Med. 2012 Jan-Mar;58(1):60-1.
- Nelson JE, Azoulay E, Curtis JR, Mosenthal AC, Mulkerin CM, Puntillo K, Siegel MD. J Palliat Med. 2012 Feb;15(2):168-74.
- Sauler M, Siegel MD. Chest. 2012 Jan;141(1):9-10
- Akgün KM, Siegel MD. Crit Care Med. 2012 Jan;40(1):312-3
- Shetty S, Inzucchi SE, Goldberg PA, Cooper D, Siegel MD, Honiden S. Endocr Pract. 2012 May-Jun;18(3):363-70.
- Leder SB, Suiter DM, Warner HL, Acton LM, Siegel MD. QJM. 2012 Mar;105(3):257-63.
- Marotta SE, Belchikov Y, Siegel MD. Hypothermia and Protection from Acetaminophen Induced Liver Injury. Ther Hypothermia Temp Management 2011; 1:57-60.
- Azoulay E, Siegel MD. Self-Efficacy Approaches to Improving End-Of-Life Care for the Critically Ill: ineffective, insufficient or inconclusive? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011;183 288-290.
- Marshall PS, Mathews KS, Siegel MD. J Intensive Care Med. 2011 Sep-Oct;26(5):275-94.
- Mannam P, Siegel MD. Management of Life-Threatening Asthma in Adults. J Int Care Med 2010; 25:3-15
- Siegel, MD. Do You See What I See? Families, Physicians, and Prognostic Dissonance in the ICU. Crit Care Med. 2010; 38:1381-1382
- Siegel MD, Prigerson HG. The Perception Gap: Race, Religion and Prognosis in the ICU. Chest 2010; 138:8-9
- Honiden S, Siegel MD. Management of the Agitated Patient in the ICU: Sedation, Analgesia, and Neuromuscular Blockade. J Int Care Med. 2010; 25:187-204
- Siegel MD, Rubinowitz AN. Routine daily vs on-demand chest radiographs in intensive care. The Lancet. 2009; 374:1656-1658
- Inzucchi SE, Siegel MD. Glucose Control in the ICU — How Tight Is Too Tight? N Engl J Med 2009; 360: 1346-1348
- Siner JM, Bhandari V, Engle KM, Elias JA, Siegel MD. Elevated Serum Angiopoietin-2 Levels are Associated with Increased Mortality in Sepsis. Shock. 2009; 31:348-353