Echocardiography; Heart Valve Diseases
Public Health Interests
My focus of research has been in the application of three-dimensional echocardiography in clinical Cardiology.
- Validation of 3D technology to measure ventricular volume and ejection fraction and valvular dimensions.
- Understanding how to apply 3DE in routine clinical echocardiography, interventional echocardiography, electrophysiology procedures and valvular surgery
- Clinical trial research in the Echo Core Lab (YCRG)
Extensive Research Description
With current three-dimensional echocardiography methods, we have been able to apply this to our daily clinical routine. Nevertheless, the penetration of this technology to general clinical practice is still low. I'm driven to understand how to improve the adoption of this amazing technology, apply automative software to our clinical workflow to improve accuracy and efficiency. With new software in 3D echo, evaluation of valve disease is enhanced, estimating valve size is accurate and 3D printing using echo is our future. In addition to my clinical research that is highly focused on 3DE, I've expanded my interest to the use of echocardiography in general to hence our clinical cardiology practice. Focused echo using portable ultrasound or hand-held ultrasound units is another field that I've expanded my research interests particularly in the ICU setting and screening for rheumatic heart disease in developing countries.
The Yale Echo Corelab under YCRG is a very active Echo core lab that partners with industry sponsors to aid in developing research protocols and data analysis of echo studies in a rigorous method with high integrity. I've been involved in multiple structural heart disease devices as well as stem cell therapy or device therapy for heart failure.
- Chandra S, Salgo IS, Sugeng L, Weinert L, Settlemier SH, Mor-Avi V, Lang RM.A Three-Dimensional Insight into the Complexity of Flow Convergence in Mitral Regurgitation: Adjunctive Benefit of Anatomic Regurgitant Orifice Area.Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2011 Jun 10. [Epub ahead of print]PubMed [citation] PMID: 21666109
- Sugeng L, Mor-Avi V, Weinert L, Niel J, Ebner C, Steringer-Mascherbauer R, Schmidt F, Galuschky C, Schummers G, Lang RM, Nesser HJ. Quantitative assessment of left ventricular size and function: side-by-side comparison of real-time three-dimensional echocardiography and computed tomography with magnetic resonance reference. Circulation 2006 August 15;114(7):654-661.
- Sugeng L, Shernan SK, Salgo IS, Weinert L, Shook D, Raman J, Jeevanandam V, DuPont F, Settlemier S, Savord B, Fox J, Mor-Avi V, Lang RM. Live 3-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography initial experience using the fully-sampled matrix array probe. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008 August 5;52(6):446-449.
- Sugeng L, Shernan SK, Weinert L, Shook D, Raman J, Jeevanandam V, DuPont F, Fox J, Mor-Avi V, Lang RM. Real-time three-dimensional transesophageal echocardiography in valve disease: comparison with surgical findings and evaluation of prosthetic valves. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2008 December;21(12):1347-1354.
- Sugeng L, Mor-Avi V, Weinert L, Niel J, Ebner C, Steringer-Mascherbauer R, Bartolles R, Baumann R, Schummers G, Lang RM, Nesser HJ. Multimodality comparison of quantitative volumetric analysis of the right ventricle. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2010 January;3(1):10-18.
- Otani K, Takeuchi M, Kaku K, Sugeng L, Yoshitani H, Haruki N, Ota T, Mor-Avi V, Lang RM, Otsuji Y.Assessment of the aortic root using real-time 3D transesophageal echocardiography.Circ J. 2010 Nov 25;74(12):2649-57. Epub 2010 Nov 12.PubMed [citation] PMID: 21084759