Lingeng Lu MD, PhD
Research Scientist in Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases)
Cancer etiology; Cancer diagnostic and prognostic markers; Personalized therapy
1. Non-coding RNA in cancer risk and progression
2. DNA methylation in cancer risk and progression
3. Genome-wide association study on endometrial cancer
4. Case-control studies of endometrial and pancreatic cancer etiologic factors
Dr. Lu’s research interests focus on cancer etiology, cancer prognosis and survivorship. His research work integrates molecular biology, bioinformatics and epidemiology methods into investigating genetic, epigenetic and environmental factors in chronic diseases. His recent work includes 1)the assessment of epigenetic (non-coding RNA, DNA methylation) and genetic markers and ovarian, breast and pancreatic cancer prognosis; 2) the understanding of genetic and environmental factors, as well as their interactions in the risk of pancreatic, endometrial and liver cancer; 3) the functional studies of genetic variations in human diseases; 4) the lifestyle intervention and cancer-related molecular markers.
- Lu L, Risch E, Deng Q, Biglia N, Picardo E, Katsaros D, Yu H. An insulin-like growth factor-II intronic variant affects local DNA conformation and ovarian cancer survival. Carcinogenesis. 2013 Jun 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- Setiawan VW, Yang HP, Pike MC, McCann SE, Yu H, Xiang YB, Wolk A, Wentzensen N, Weiss NS, Webb PM, van den Brandt PA, van de Vijver K, Thompson PJ; Australian National Endometrial Cancer Study Group, Strom BL, Spurdle AB, Soslow RA, Shu XO, Schairer C, Sacerdote C, Rohan TE, Robien K, Risch HA, Ricceri F, Rebbeck TR, Rastogi R, Prescott J, Polidoro S, Park Y, Olson SH, Moysich KB, Miller AB, McCullough ML, Matsuno RK, Magliocco AM, Lurie G, Lu L, Lissowska J, Liang X, Lacey JV Jr, Kolonel LN, Henderson BE, Hankinson SE, Håkansson N, Goodman MT, Gaudet MM, Garcia-Closas M, Friedenreich CM, Freudenheim JL, Doherty J, De Vivo I, Courneya KS, Cook LS, Chen C, Cerhan JR, Cai H, Brinton LA, Bernstein L, Anderson KE, Anton-Culver H, Schouten LJ, Horn-Ross PL. 2013. Type I and II endometrial cancers: have they different risk factors? J Clin Oncol. 31(20):2607-18. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2012.48.2596
- Risch HA, Lu L, Wang J, Zhang W, Ni Q, Gao YT, Yu H. 2013. ABO blood group and risk of pancreatic cancer: a study in Shanghai and meta-analysis. Am J Epidemiol. 177(12):1326-37. doi: 10.1093/aje/kws458
- Lu L, Zhu G, Zhang C, Deng Q, Katsaros D, Mayne ST, Risch HA, Mu L, Canuto EM, Gregori G, Benedetto C, Yu H. 2012. Association of large noncoding RNA HOTAIR expression and its downstream intergenic CpG island methylation with survival in breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 136(3):875-83. doi: 10.1007/s10549-012-2314-z
- Lu L, Katsaros D, Mayne ST, Risch HA, Benedetto C, Canuto EM, Yu H. 2012.
Functional study of risk loci of stem cell-associated gene lin-28B and associations with disease survival outcomes in epithelial ovarian cancer. Carcinogenesis. 33(11):2119-25. doi: 10.1093/carcin/bgs243
- Lu L, Katsaros D, Wiley A, Rigault de la Longrais IA, Puopolo M, Schwartz P, Yu H. 2006. Promoter-specific transcripts of Insulin-like growth factor II in epithelial ovarian cancer. Gynecol Oncol 103:990-995.
- Lu L, Katsaros D, Wiley A, Rigault de la Longrais IA, Risch HA, Puopolo M, Yu H. 2006. “The relationship of insulin-like growth factor-II, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3 and estrogen receptor-alpha expression to disease progression in epithelial ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res 12:1208-1204
- Lu L, Katsaros D, de la Longrais IA, Sochirca O, Yu H. 2007. Hypermethylation of let-7a-3 in epithelial ovarian cancer is associated with low insulin-like growth gactor II and good prognosis. Cancer Res 67: 10117-22
- Lu L, Katsaros D, Wiley A, de la Longrais IA, Puopolo M, Yu H. 2008. Klotho expression in epithelial ovarian cancer and its association with insulin-like growth factors and disease progression. Cancer Invest 26:185-192
- Qian B, Katsaros D, Lu L, Preti M, Durando A, Arisio R, Mu L, Yu H. 2009. High miR-21 expression in breast associated with poor disease-free survival in patients with early stage disease and high TGF-?1. Breast Cancer Res Treat 117:131-40