Epidemiologic Methods; Epidemiology; HIV; Sexually Transmitted Diseases; Vaccines; Communicable Diseases, Emerging; Qualitative Research; Human papillomavirus 11
Public Health Interests
Adolescent Health; Cancer Epidemiology; Childhood Immunizations; Epidemiology Methods; GIS; HIV/AIDS; HPV; Infectious Disease; Public health practice; Sexually-transmitted diseases; STDs; Vaccines
School of Public Health: Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS | Connecticut Emerging Infections Program | Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases: Vaccine Group | HPV | YSPH Global Health Concentration
Professor Niccolai is an epidemiologist whose research is primarily focused on sexually transmitted infections (STI), including HIV. Her main area of interest is in behavioral aspects of HIV/STI prevention. Currently, Professor Niccolai is involved in several areas of research. Her main area of research is studying uptake and impact of human papillomavirus vaccines with an emphasis on addressing health disparities. She is the Project Director of a surveillance program to monitor impact of the human papillomavirus vaccine with the Connecticut Emerging Infections Program. She is also the Principal Investigator of a mixed-methods study to identify barriers to HPV vaccination among low-income minority populations. She is currently working to identify opportunities to increase uptake in CT.
Specialized Terms: Sexually transmitted infections; Human papillomavirus vaccine; HIV; Epidemiologic methods; Qualitative research
Extensive Research Description
Linda Niccolai is an associate professor in the Department of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases at the Yale School of Public Health. She is deputy director of the Office of International Training and Director of the Development Core for Yale School of Public Health’s Center for Interdisciplinary Research on AIDS. Her research focuses on sexually transmitted infections, including HIV. Dr. Niccolai is the principal investigator of project to monitor vaccine impact for human papillomavirus (funded by CDC) and also PI of an NIH-funded mixed methods study to assess barriers to uptake of HPV vaccine.
Linda Niccolai received her Sc.M. at Harvard School of Public Health and her Ph.D. at Tulane University. She is the recipient of Connecticut Infectious Disease Society Thorton Award for Best Poster Presentation in Clinical Research in Infectious Disease and Award for Excellence in Teaching at YSPH.
- Monitoring Impact of Human Papillomavirus Vaccine in Connecticut
- Identifying and Quantifying Barriers to Uptake of HPV vaccine
- Feasibility of a school-based intervention for HPV vaccination
- Increasing HPV vaccination coverage among adolescents in Connecticut
Parents’ views on human papillomavirus vaccination for sexually transmitted infection prevention: A qualitative study.
Niccolai LM, Hansen CE, Credle M, Ryan S, Shapiro ED. Parents’ views on human papillomavirus vaccination for sexually transmitted infection prevention: A qualitative study. Sexual Health 2014;11:274-9.
Interactive effects of individual and neighborhood race and ethnicity on rates of high-grade cervical lesions
Waggaman C, Julian P, Niccolai LM. Interactive effects of individual and neighborhood race and ethnicity on rates of high-grade cervical lesions. Cancer Epidemiology 2014;38:248-252.
Area-based poverty, racial, and ethnic disparities in cervical cancer precursor rates in Connecticut, 2008-2009.
Niccolai LM, Julian PJ, Bilinski A, Mehta NR, Meek JI, Zelterman D, Hadler JL, Sosa LE. Area-based poverty, racial, and ethnic disparities in cervical cancer precursor rates in Connecticut, 2008-2009. American Journal of Public Health 2013;103:156-63.
Declining rates of high-grade cervical lesions in young women in Connecticut, 2008-2011 Cancer Epidemiology
Niccolai LM, Julian P, Meek J, McBride V, Hadler J, Sosa L. Declining rates of high-grade cervical lesions in young women in Connecticut, 2008-2011 Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention 2013 (in press).
Individual and geographic disparities in human papillomavirus types 16/18 in high-grade cervical lesions: Associations with race, ethnicity, and poverty.
Niccolai LM, Russ C, Julian PJ, Hariri S, Sinard J, Meek JI, McBride V, Markowitz LE, Unger ER, Hadler JL, Sosa LE. Individual and geographic disparities in human papillomavirus types 16/18 in high-grade cervical lesions: Associations with race, ethnicity, and poverty. Cancer 2013 (in press).
In different situations, in different ways
Niccolai LM, King EJ, Eritsyan K, Safiullina L, Rusakova MM. “In different situations, in different ways”: Male sex work in St. Petersburg, Russia. Culture, Health, and Sexuality 2013;15:480-93.
Behavioral sources of repeat Chlamydia trachomatis infections: The importance of different sex partners
Niccolai LM, Livingston KA, Laufer AS, Pettigrew MM. Behavioral sources of repeat Chlamydia trachomatis infections: The importance of different sex partners. Sexually Transmitted Infections 2011;87:248-253.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Niccolai LM, Meek JI, Brackney M, Hadler JL, Sosa LE, Weinberger DM: Declines in HPV-associated high-grade cervical lesions after introduction of HPV vaccines in Connecticut, US, 2008-2015. Clin Infect Dis. 2017 May 17; 2017 May 17. PMID: 28520854
- Heimer R, Usacheva N, Barbour R, Niccolai LM, Uusküla A, Levina OS: Engagement in HIV care and its correlates among people who inject drugs in St Petersburg, Russian Federation and Kohtla-Järve, Estonia. Addiction. 2017 Feb 24; 2017 Feb 24. PMID: 28233356
- Bernstein S, North A, Schwartz J, Niccolai LM: State-Level Voting Patterns and Adolescent Vaccination Coverage in the United States, 2014. Am J Public Health. 2016 Oct; 2016 Aug 23. PMID: 27552268
- North AL, Niccolai LM: Human Papillomavirus Vaccination Requirements in US Schools: Recommendations for Moving Forward. Am J Public Health. 2016 Oct; 2016 Aug 23. PMID: 27552264
- Niccolai LM, Pettigrew MM: The Role of Cognitive Bias in Suboptimal HPV Vaccine Uptake. Pediatrics. 2016 Oct; 2016 Sep 9. PMID: 27613774
- Loeliger KB, Niccolai LM, Mtungwa LN, Moll A, Shenoi SV: Antiretroviral therapy initiation and adherence in rural South Africa: community health workers' perspectives on barriers and facilitators. AIDS Care. 2016 Aug; 2016 Apr 4. PMID: 27043077
- Loeliger KB, Niccolai LM, Mtungwa LN, Moll A, Shenoi SV: "I Have to Push Him with a Wheelbarrow to the Clinic": Community Health Workers' Roles, Needs, and Strategies to Improve HIV Care in Rural South Africa. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2016 Aug. PMID: 27509239
- Niccolai LM, Hansen CE, Credle M, Shapiro ED: Parents' Recall and Reflections on Experiences Related to HPV Vaccination for Their Children. Qual Health Res. 2016 May; 2015 Mar 16. PMID: 25779984
- Hansen CE, Credle M, Shapiro ED, Niccolai LM: "It All Depends": A Qualitative Study of Parents' Views of Human Papillomavirus Vaccine for their Adolescents at Ages 11-12 years. J Cancer Educ. 2016 Mar. PMID: 25600376
- Calabrese SK, Burke SE, Dovidio JF, Levina OS, Uusküla A, Niccolai LM, Heimer R: Internalized HIV and Drug Stigmas: Interacting Forces Threatening Health Status and Health Service Utilization Among People with HIV Who Inject Drugs in St. Petersburg, Russia. AIDS Behav. 2016 Jan. PMID: 26050155
- Gu C, Niccolai LM, Yang S, Wang X, Tao L: Human papillomavirus vaccine acceptability among female undergraduate students in China: the role of knowledge and psychosocial factors. J Clin Nurs. 2015 Oct; 2015 Jul 14. PMID: 26179945
- Hariri S, Johnson ML, Bennett NM, Bauer HM, Park IU, Schafer S, Niccolai LM, Unger ER, Markowitz LE, HPV-IMPACT Working Group.: Population-based trends in high-grade cervical lesions in the early human papillomavirus vaccine era in the United States. Cancer. 2015 Aug 15; 2015 Jun 22. PMID: 26098295
- Niccolai LM, Hansen CE: Practice- and Community-Based Interventions to Increase Human Papillomavirus Vaccine Coverage: A Systematic Review. JAMA Pediatr. 2015 Jul. PMID: 26010507
- Burke SE, Calabrese SK, Dovidio JF, Levina OS, Uusküla A, Niccolai LM, Abel-Ollo K, Heimer R: A tale of two cities: stigma and health outcomes among people with HIV who inject drugs in St. Petersburg, Russia and Kohtla-Järve, Estonia. Soc Sci Med. 2015 Apr; 2015 Feb 16. PMID: 25703668
- Hariri S, Bennett NM, Niccolai LM, Schafer S, Park IU, Bloch KC, Unger ER, Whitney E, Julian P, Scahill MW, Abdullah N, Levine D, Johnson ML, Steinau M, Markowitz LE, HPV-IMPACT Working Group.: Reduction in HPV 16/18-associated high grade cervical lesions following HPV vaccine introduction in the United States - 2008-2012. Vaccine. 2015 Mar 24; 2015 Feb 11. PMID: 25681664
- Hariri S, Unger ER, Schafer S, Niccolai LM, Park IU, Bloch KC, Bennett NM, Steinau M, Johnson ML, Markowitz LE, HPV-IMPACT Working Group.: HPV type attribution in high-grade cervical lesions: assessing the potential benefits of vaccines in a population-based evaluation in the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015 Feb; 2014 Nov 21. PMID: 25416715
- Cepeda JA, Niccolai LM, Lyubimova A, Kershaw T, Levina O, Heimer R: High-risk behaviors after release from incarceration among people who inject drugs in St. Petersburg, Russia. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2015 Feb 1; 2014 Dec 2. PMID: 25496706
- Cepeda JA, Vetrova MV, Lyubimova AI, Levina OS, Heimer R, Niccolai LM: Community reentry challenges after release from prison among people who inject drugs in St. Petersburg, Russia. Int J Prison Health. 2015. PMID: 26277925
- Carver JW, Dévieux JG, Gaston SC, Altice FL, Niccolai LM: Sexual risk behaviors among adolescents in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. AIDS Behav. 2014 Aug. PMID: 24402691
- Luryi AL, Yarbrough WG, Niccolai LM, Roser S, Reed SG, Nathan CA, Moore MG, Day T, Judson BL: Public awareness of head and neck cancers: a cross-sectional survey. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014 Jul. PMID: 24902640
- Niccolai LM, Hansen CE, Credle M, Ryan SA, Shapiro ED: Parents' views on human papillomavirus vaccination for sexually transmissible infection prevention: a qualitative study. Sex Health. 2014 Jul. PMID: 24990400
- Waggaman C, Julian P, Niccolai LM: Interactive effects of individual and neighborhood race and ethnicity on rates of high-grade cervical lesions. Cancer Epidemiol. 2014 Jun; 2014 Apr 4. PMID: 24704286
- Niccolai LM, McBride V, Julian PR, Connecticut HPV-IMPACT Working Group.: Sources of information for assessing human papillomavirus vaccination history among young women. Vaccine. 2014 May 23; 2014 Apr 5. PMID: 24713369
- Niccolai LM, Julian PJ, Meek JI, Hadler JL, Sosa L: Niccolai et al. respond. Am J Public Health. 2013 Oct; 2013 Aug 15. PMID: 23947315
- Cepeda JA, Niccolai LM, Eritsyan K, Heimer R, Levina O: Moderate/heavy alcohol use and HCV infection among injection drug users in two Russian cities. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 Oct 1; 2013 May 1. PMID: 23642314
- Gordon DM, Hawes SW, Reid AE, Callands TA, Magriples U, Divney A, Niccolai LM, Kershaw T: The many faces of manhood: examining masculine norms and health behaviors of young fathers across race. Am J Mens Health. 2013 Sep; 2013 Feb 11. PMID: 23403774
- Niccolai LM, Russ C, Julian PJ, Hariri S, Sinard J, Meek JI, McBride V, Markowitz LE, Unger ER, Hadler JL, Sosa LE: Individual and geographic disparities in human papillomavirus types 16/18 in high-grade cervical lesions: Associations with race, ethnicity, and poverty. Cancer. 2013 Aug 15; 2013 May 9. PMID: 23661284
- Niccolai LM, Julian PJ, Meek JI, McBride V, Hadler JL, Sosa LE: Declining rates of high-grade cervical lesions in young women in Connecticut, 2008-2011. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013 Aug; 2013 May 23. PMID: 23704476
- Reid AE, Magriples U, Niccolai LM, Gordon DM, Divney AA, Kershaw TS: Associations of a sexually transmitted disease diagnosis during a relationship with condom use and psychosocial outcomes: (short) windows of opportunity. Am J Community Psychol. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23321987
- Pflieger JC, Cook EC, Niccolai LM, Connell CM: Racial/ethnic differences in patterns of sexual risk behavior and rates of sexually transmitted infections among female young adults. Am J Public Health. 2013 May; 2013 Mar 14. PMID: 23488501
- Niccolai LM, Julian PJ, Bilinski A, Mehta NR, Meek JI, Zelterman D, Hadler JL, Sosa L: Geographic poverty and racial/ethnic disparities in cervical cancer precursor rates in Connecticut, 2008-2009. Am J Public Health. 2013 Jan; 2012 Apr 19. PMID: 22515856
- Niccolai LM, King EJ, Eritsyan KU, Safiullina L, Rusakova MM: 'In different situations, in different ways': male sex work in St. Petersburg, Russia. Cult Health Sex. 2013. PMID: 23464743
- Sipsma H, Divney AA, Niccolai LM, Gordon D, Magriples U, Kershaw TS: Pregnancy desire among a sample of young couples who are expecting a baby. Perspect Sex Reprod Health. 2012 Dec; 2012 Oct 17. PMID: 23231332
- Mehta NR, Julian PJ, Meek JI, Sosa LE, Bilinski A, Hariri S, Markowitz LE, Hadler JL, Niccolai LM: Human papillomavirus vaccination history among women with precancerous cervical lesions: disparities and barriers. Obstet Gynecol. 2012 Mar. PMID: 22353956
- Niccolai LM, Odinokova VA, Safiullina LZ, Bodanovskaya ZD, Heimer R, Levina OS, Rusakova MM: Clients of street-based female sex workers and potential bridging of HIV/STI in Russia: results of a pilot study. AIDS Care. 2012; 2012 Jan 31. PMID: 22292804
- Biello KB, Pettigrew MM, Niccolai LM: Multiple chlamydia infection among young women: comparing the role of individual- and neighbourhood-level measures of socioeconomic status. Sex Transm Infect. 2011 Dec; 2011 Sep 21. PMID: 21940727
- Hoffman L, Nguyen HT, Kershaw TS, Niccolai LM: Dangerous subtlety: relationship-related determinants of consistency of condom use among female sex workers and their regular, non-commercial partners in Hai Phong, Viet Nam. AIDS Behav. 2011 Oct. PMID: 20924782
- Niccolai LM, Mehta NR, Hadler JL: Racial/Ethnic and poverty disparities in human papillomavirus vaccination completion. Am J Prev Med. 2011 Oct. PMID: 21961471
- Niccolai LM, Verevochkin SV, Toussova OV, White E, Barbour R, Kozlov AP, Heimer R: Estimates of HIV incidence among drug users in St. Petersburg, Russia: continued growth of a rapidly expanding epidemic. Eur J Public Health. 2011 Oct; 2010 Aug 26. PMID: 20798184
- Cepeda JA, Odinokova VA, Heimer R, Grau LE, Lyubimova A, Safiullina L, Levina OS, Niccolai LM: Drug network characteristics and HIV risk among injection drug users in Russia: the roles of trust, size, and stability. AIDS Behav. 2011 Jul. PMID: 20872063
- Zhan W, Krasnoselskikh TV, Niccolai LM, Golovanov S, Kozlov AP, Abdala N: Concurrent sexual partnerships and sexually transmitted diseases in Russia. Sex Transm Dis. 2011 Jun. PMID: 21258270
- Niccolai LM, Livingston KA, Laufer AS, Pettigrew MM: Behavioural sources of repeat Chlamydia trachomatis infections: importance of different sex partners. Sex Transm Infect. 2011 Apr; 2011 Jan 6. PMID: 21212380
- Grau LE, White E, Niccolai LM, Toussova OV, Verevochkin SV, Kozlov AP, Heimer R: HIV disclosure, condom use, and awareness of HIV infection among HIV-positive, heterosexual drug injectors in St. Petersburg, Russian Federation. AIDS Behav. 2011 Jan. PMID: 20700645
- Kershaw TS, Ethier KA, Niccolai LM, Lewis JB, Milan S, Meade C, Ickovics JR: Let's stay together: relationship dissolution and sexually transmitted diseases among parenting and non-parenting adolescents. J Behav Med. 2010 Dec; 2010 Jul 4. PMID: 20607596
- Tetrault JM, Fiellin DA, Niccolai LM, Sullivan LE: Substance use in patients with sexually transmitted infections: results from a national U.S. survey. Am J Addict. 2010 Nov-Dec; 2010 Sep 21. PMID: 20958845
- Niccolai LM, Toussova OV, Verevochkin SV, Barbour R, Heimer R, Kozlov AP: High HIV prevalence, suboptimal HIV testing, and low knowledge of HIV-positive serostatus among injection drug users in St. Petersburg, Russia. AIDS Behav. 2010 Aug. PMID: 18843531
- Niccolai LM, Shcherbakova IS, Toussova OV, Kozlov AP, Heimer R: The potential for bridging of HIV transmission in the Russian Federation: sex risk behaviors and HIV prevalence among drug users (DUs) and their non-DU sex partners. J Urban Health. 2009 Jul; 2009 Jun 9. PMID: 19507037
- Foulkes HB, Pettigrew MM, Livingston KA, Niccolai LM: Comparison of sexual partnership characteristics and associations with inconsistent condom use among a sample of adolescents and adult women diagnosed with Chlamydia trachomatis. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 2009 Mar. PMID: 19245304
- Niccolai LM, Livingston KA, Teng FF, Pettigrew MM: Behavioral intentions in sexual partnerships following a diagnosis of Chlamydia trachomatis. Prev Med. 2008 Feb; 2007 Sep 4. PMID: 17936349
- Niccolai LM, Ogden LG, Muehlenbein CE, Dziura JD, Vázquez M, Shapiro ED: Methodological issues in design and analysis of a matched case-control study of a vaccine's effectiveness. J Clin Epidemiol. 2007 Nov; 2007 Jun 7. PMID: 17938054
- Niccolai LM, Livingston KA, Richardson W, Jenkins H: Sex partner meeting venues and out-of-state sex partners among men who have sex with men with early syphilis in Connecticut. Sex Transm Dis. 2007 Nov. PMID: 17565333
- Niccolai LM, Hochberg AL, Ethier KA, Lewis JB, Ickovics JR: Burden of recurrent Chlamydia trachomatis infections in young women: further uncovering the "hidden epidemic". Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007 Mar. PMID: 17339505
- Niccolai LM, Stephens N, Jenkins H, Richardson W, Muth SQ, Rothenberg R: Early syphilis among men in Connecticut: epidemiologic and spatial patterns. Sex Transm Dis. 2007 Mar. PMID: 16906124
- Niccolai LM, King E, D'Entremont D, Pritchett EN: Disclosure of HIV serostatus to sex partners: a new approach to measurement. Sex Transm Dis. 2006 Feb. PMID: 16432481
- Niccolai LM, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Cicchetti DV, Ethier KA, Ickovics JR: Data collection for sexually transmitted disease diagnoses: a comparison of self-report, medical record reviews, and state health department reports. Ann Epidemiol. 2005 Mar. PMID: 15723771
- Niccolai LM, Winston DM: Physicians' opinions on partner management for nonviral sexually transmitted infections. Am J Prev Med. 2005 Feb. PMID: 15710281
- Kershaw TS, Ickovics JR, Lewis JB, Niccolai LM, Milan S, Ethier KA: Sexual risk following a sexually transmitted disease diagnosis: the more things change the more they stay the same. J Behav Med. 2004 Oct. PMID: 15675634
- Stout BD, Leon MP, Niccolai LM: Nonadherence to antiretroviral therapy in HIV-positive patients in Costa Rica. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2004 May. PMID: 15186713
- Niccolai LM, Ethier KA, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Meade CS, Ickovics JR: New sex partner acquisition and sexually transmitted disease risk among adolescent females. J Adolesc Health. 2004 Mar. PMID: 14967345
- Vázquez M, LaRussa PS, Gershon AA, Niccolai LM, Muehlenbein CE, Steinberg SP, Shapiro ED: Effectiveness over time of varicella vaccine. JAMA. 2004 Feb 18. PMID: 14970064
- Kershaw TS, Niccolai LM, Ickovics JR, Lewis JB, Meade CS, Ethier KA: Short and long-term impact of adolescent pregnancy on postpartum contraceptive use: implications for prevention of repeat pregnancy. J Adolesc Health. 2003 Nov. PMID: 14596957
- Kershaw TS, Ethier KA, Niccolai LM, Lewis JB, Ickovics JR: Misperceived risk among female adolescents: social and psychological factors associated with sexual risk accuracy. Health Psychol. 2003 Sep. PMID: 14570536
- Niccolai LM, Ethier KA, Kershaw TS, Lewis JB, Ickovics JR: Pregnant adolescents at risk: sexual behaviors and sexually transmitted disease prevalence. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Jan. PMID: 12548197
- Niccolai LM, Farley TA, Ayoub MA, Magnus M, Kissinger PJ: HIV-infected persons' knowledge of their sexual partners' HIV status. AIDS Educ Prev. 2002 Jun. PMID: 12092920