Leora I. Horwitz MD, MHS
Assistant Professor of Medicine (General Medicine)
Patient safety; Quality of care; Care transfers; Medical education
Peri- and post-discharge care
Readmissions among elderly patients
Shift-to-shift transfers of care
My research has focused on patient safety and quality of care, using a systems-based approach. I am particularly interested in handoffs occurring during transfers of care from one provider to another or one setting to another. I have a secondary interest in medical education and have conducted several studies at the intersection of patient safety and medical education.
- Horwitz LI, Moriarty JP, Chen C, Fogerty RL, Brewster UC, Kanade S, Ziaeian B, Jenq GY, Krumholz HM. Quality of discharge practices and patient understanding at an academic medical center. JAMA Internal Medicine. Epub 2013 Aug 19. doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.9318.
- Ziaeian B, Araujo KLB, Van Ness PH, Horwitz LI. Medication reconciliation accuracy and patient understanding of intended medication changes on hospital discharge. Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2012 Nov 11:1513-1520. Epub 2012 Jul 14.
- Horwitz LI, Moin T, Krumholz HM, Wang L, Bradley EH. What are covering doctors told about their patients? Analysis of sign-out among internal medicine house staff. Qual Saf Health Care. 2009;18:248-255.
- Horwitz LI, Moin T, Krumholz HM, Wang L, Bradley EH. Consequences of inadequate sign-out for patient care. Arch Intern Med. 2008;168:1755-1760.
- Horwitz LI, Kosiborod M, Lin Z, Krumholz HM. Changes in outcomes for internal medicine inpatients after work-hour regulations. Ann Intern Med. 2007;147:97-103.
- Horwitz LI, Krumholz HM, Green ML, Huot SJ. Transfers of patient care between house staff on internal medicine wards: a national survey. Arch Intern Med. 2006;166:1173-1177.