Keith Adam Choate MD, PhD, FAAD
Associate Professor of Dermatology, of Genetics and of Pathology
Human Genetics; Genodermatoses; Gene Discovery; Genetic Mosaicism; Disorders of keratinization; Mosaic skin disorders; Stem cell biology; Developmental biology; Epidermal differentiation; Sequencing technology
We employ a comprehensive approach human genetic disorders, attempting to understand their clinical presenations by studying their genetics and pathobiology. Using genetic tools, we have identified new genetic causes of inherited disorders and we are actively studying how these genes function in health and disease.
- Choate KA, Lu Y, Zhou J, Choi M, Elias P, Farhi A, Nelson-Williams C, Crumrine D, Williams ML, Nopper AJ, Bree AF, Milstone LM, Lifton RP. 2010. Mitotic recombination in patients with ichthyosis causes reversion of dominant mutations in KRT10. Science. 330:94-7. PMID: 20798280.
- Yang CS, Lu Y, Farhi A, Nelson-Williams C, Khasgarian M, Glusac EJ,
Lifton RP, Antaya RA, Choate KA. An incompletely penetrant novel
mutation in COL7A1 causes epidermolysis bullosa pruriginosa and
dominant dystrophic epidermolysis bullosa phenotypes in an extended
kindred. 2012. Pediatric Dermatology. In Press.
- Ko CJ, McNiff JM, Bosenberg M, Choate K. Keratoacanthoma: clinical
and histopathologic features of regression. 2012. J Am Acad Dermatol,
Accepted for publication.
- Choate KA, Medalie DA, Morgan JR, and Khavari PA. 1996. Corrective gene delivery in the human skin disease lamellar ichthyosis. Nature Medicine 2:1263-1267..
- Choate KA, Kinsella T, Williams M, Nolan G, and Khavari PA. 1996. Transglutaminase 1 delivery to lamellar ichthyosis keratinocytes. Human Gene Therapy. 7:2247-2253.
- Freiberg RA, Spencer DM, Choate KA, Duh HJ, Schreiber SL, Crabtree GR and Khavari PA. 1997. Fas signal transduction triggers either proliferation or apoptosis in human fibroblasts. Journal of Investigative Dermatology. 108(2):215-219.
- Choate KA and Khavari PA. 1997. Sustainability of keratinocyte gene transfer and cell survival in vivo. Human Gene Therapy. 8: 895-901.
- Freiberg RA, Choate KA, Deng H, Alperin E, Shapiro LJ, and Khavari PA. 1997. A model of gene transfer in X-linked ichthyosis. Human Molecular Genetics. 6(6):927-33.