Karen Christiansen Schneider MPH
Research Scientist in Pediatrics (Neurology)
Premature infants; Very low birth weight; Indomethacin; Intraventricular hemorrhage; Neurodevelopmental outcome; Magnetic resonance imaging
My research explores the impact of a clinical trial entitled "Multicenter Randomized IVH Prevention Trial" that was begun in 1989 and was conducted at three sites, Yale New Haven Hospital, Maine Medical Center and Women and Infants Hospital in Providence, Rhode Island. Five hundred and five premature infants were originally enrolled in the study and survivors have been followed to age 18 years. When the premature subjects turned 8 years of age, a control group of 126 children was added to the study. Neurodevelopmental testing and MRI imaging of preterm and control subjects have been conducted at regular intervals. Testing and imaging results are compared between subjects who received early indomethacin and those who received a placebo as well as for preterm and control subjects.
- Luu TM, Ment LR, Schneider KC, Katz KH, Allan WC, Vohr BR: Lasting effects of preterm birth and neonatal brain hemorrhage at 12 years of age. Pediatrics 2009; 123:1037-1044.
- Schafer RJ, Lacadie C, Vohr B, Kesler SR, Katz KH, Schneider KC, Pugh KR, Makuch RW, Reiss AL, Constable RT, Ment LR: Alterations in functional connectivity for language in prematurely born adolescents. Brain 2009; 132:661-670.
- Constable RT, Ment LR, Vohr B, Kesler SR, Fulbright RK, Lacadie C, Delancy S, Katz KH, Schneider KC, Schafer RJ, Makuch RW, Reiss AR. Pediatrics 2008; 121:306-316.
- Ment LR, Peterson BS, Vohr B, Allan W, Schneider KC, Lacadie C, Katz KH, Maller-Kesselman J, Pugh K, Duncan CC, Makuch RW, Constable RT: Cortical recruitment patterns in children born prematurely compared with control subjects during a passive listening functional magnetic resonance imaging task. J Pediatr 2006; 149:490-498.
- Kesler Shelli R, Vohr Betty, Schneider Karen C, Katz Karol H, Makuch Robert W, Reiss Allan L, Ment Laura R: Increased temporal lobe gyrification in preterm children, Neuropsychologia 2006; 44: 445-453.
- Ment LR, Vohr BR, Makuch RW, Westerveld M, Katz KH, Schneider KC, Duncan CC, Ehrenkranz R, Oh W, Philip AG, Scott DT, Allan WC: Prevention of intraventricular hemorrhage by indomethacin in male preterm infants. J Pediatr 2004; 145:832-4.
- Kesler SR, Ment LR, Vohr B, Pajot SK, Schneider KC, Katz KH, Ebbitt TB, Duncan CC, Makuch RW, Reiss AL: Volumetric analysis of regional cerebral development in preterm children., Pediatric Neurology 2004; 31:318-25.
- Reiss AL, Kesler SR, Vohr B, Duncan CC, Katz KH, Scheider KC, Makuch RW, Ment LR, Sex differences in cerebral volumes of 8-year olds born preterm, J Pediatr 2004; 145: 242-249.
- Ment LR, Vohr B, Allan W, Katz KK, Schneider KC, Westerveld M, duncan CC, Makuch RW: Change in cognitive function over time in very low-birth-weight infants. JAMA 2003; 289:705-711.
- Ment LR, Oh W, Ehrenkranz RA, Philip AGS, Vohr B, Allan W, Duncan CC, Scott DT, Taylor KJW, Katz KH, Schneider KC, Makuch RW: Low-dose indomethacin and prevention of intraventricular hemorrhage: A multicenter randomized trial. Pediatrics 1994; 93:543-550.