G. Kenneth Haines MD
Associate Professor of Pathology; Director, General Surgical Pathology Services; Associate Director, Pathology Residency Program; Co-Director, Medical Studies
General Surgical Pathology; Head and Neck Pathology; Arthritis; Cancer Or Carcinogenesis; Pathology; Stress; Surgery
1. Development and Use of NO-adapted cell lines for the study of nitric oxide and free radicals in carcinogenesis
2. Immune dys-regulation in rheumatoid arthritis
My primary work centers on understanding the role of free radicals, largely produced by cells of the body's immune system, can actually promote the development and progression of cancer.
In addition, I collaborate with research groups at other institutions to understand how the body's immune system turns against itself, to produce autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis.
Extensive Research Description
1. The role of nitric oxide and oxidative stress in carcinogenesis
2. Clinical studies and animal models of rheumatoid arthritis
- Long-term adaptation of breast tumor cell lines to high concentrations of nitric oxide. Vesper BJ, Elseth KM, Tarjan G, Haines GK 3rd, Radosevich JA. Tumour Biol 2010 Aug;31(4):267-75.
- The kinetics and redox state of nitric oxide determine the biological consequences in lung adenocarcinoma. Bentz BG, Hammer ND, Milash B, Klein S, Burnett DM, Radosevich JA, Haines III GK. Tumour Biol 2008 Feb 528(6):301-311.
- Bim-Blc-2 homology 3 mimetic therapy is effective at suppressing inflammatory arthritis through the activation of myeloid cell apoptosis. Scatizzi JC, Hutcheson J, Pope RM, Firestein GS, Koch AE, Mavers M, Smason A, Agrawal H, Haines GK 3rd, Chandel NS, Hotchkiss RS, Perlman H. Arthritis Rheum 2010 Feb;62(2):441-451.
- Heat shock protein 96 is elevated in rheumatoid arthritis and activates macrophages primarily via TLR2 signaling. Huang QQ, Sobkoviak R, Jockheck-Clark AR, Shi B, Mandelin AM 2nd, Tak PP, Haines GK 3rd, Nicchitta CV, Pope RM. J Immunol. 2009 Apr 15; 182(8):4965-73
- Inhibition of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 ameliorates rat adjuvant-induced arthritis. Shahrara S, Proudfoot AE, Park CC, Volin MV, Haines GK, Woods JM, Aikens CH, Handel TM, Pope RM. J Immunol 2008 Mar 1 180(5):3447-56.
- Combined deficiency of proapoptotic regulators Bim and Fas results in the early onset of systemic autoimmunity. Hutcheson J, Scatizzi JC, Siddiqui AM, Haines GK 3rd, Wu T, Li ZQ, Davis LS, Mohan C, Perlman H. Immunity 2008 Feb 1528(2):206-217.