Jonathan Newman Grauer MD
Associate Professor of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation and of Pediatrics; Co-Director, Orthopaedic Spine Service; Co-Director, Yale New Haven Hospital Spine Center
Dr. Grauer is an Associate Professor in the Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation at Yale University School of Medicine. He is Co-Director of the Orthopaedic Spine Service as well as Co-Director of the Yale New Haven Hospital Spine Center.
Dr. Grauer specializes in the comprehensive treatment of numerous conditions affecting the cervical, thoracic, and lumbosacral spine including degenerative disc disease, scoliosis, trauma, infections, and tumors.
He received his Bachelor of Science degree from Tufts University, graduating summa cum laude and with Phi Beta Kappa. He received his Medical Doctorate from Yale University School of Medicine, graduating cum laude and with Alpha Omega Alpha. He completed his Orthopaedic Surgery residency at Yale New Haven Hospital and a fellowship in spine surgery at the Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University.
He and his students / residents / and fellows have received numerous awards. He lectures at regional, national, and international meetings. He has authored or co-authored over 90 peer-reviewed scientific papers, 50 reviews, and 60 book chapters. He participates on the review boards of multiple journals and sits on committes of multiple organizations.
Dr. Grauer believes in meeting patients' individual needs through evaluation and treatment designed to help them achieve active, pain-free lifestyles. He combines leading edge techniques with proven traditional methods to provide patients with the best care possible. His clinical practice is based out of Yale New Haven Hospital, and outpatients are seen at the Yale New Haven Hospital Spine Center, Yale Department of Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation main office in New Haven, as well as at satellite offices.
Education & Training
- Yale University School of Medicine (1997)
- Yale New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT, Surgery (1997 - 1998)
- Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, CT, Orthopaedic Surgery (1998 - 2002)
- Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, Spine Surgery (2002 - 2003)
- Board Certification
- Surgery, Orthopaedic, Board Certified (2005)
Honors & Recognition
- Young Investigator Award
Spine Journal (2000)
- Wayne O. Southwick University Teaching Award
Yale Department of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation (2009)
- Multiple awards to support students performing research in Grauer laboratory
Yale University School of Medicine (2013)
- Fielding Resident / Fellow Research Award, 2nd Place
Cervical Spine Research Society (2003)
- Basic Science Presentation Award
Depuy Conference (2003)
- Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (2008 - Present)
- SpineLine (2006 - Present)
- European Spine Journal (2006 - Present)
- Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques (2006 - Present)
- The Spine Journal (2004 - Present)
- Spine (2002 - Present)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (01/01/2010 - 07/01/2016)