History; History of Medicine; Public Health
History of medicine; Medical education; Professionalism; Public health; Clinical medicine; Experimental life science
Extensive Research Description
Vital Signs: Image, Identity, and the Aesthetic Grounding of Modern Medicine.
A study of the transformation of the hospital patient chart, 19th through 21st centuries, tentatively titled Bedside Stories: Clinical Narrative and the Grounding of Modern Medicine.
A collection of historical essays with the working title Medicine Shows: Performance, Identity, and Professional Formation in America.
- “The Humanizing Power of Medical History: Responses to Biomedicine in the 20th-Century United States,” Medical Humanities, forthcoming; and an earlier version: Journal of Peking University (Philosophy and Social Sciences) [in Chinese], forthcoming.
- Dissection: Photographs of a Rite of Passage in American Medicine, 1880-1930, 2009; with James M. Edmonson.
- Locating Medical History: The Stories and Their Meanings, Baltimore and London, Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, March 2004, co-edited with Frank Huisman, paperback edition, 2006.
- Major Problems in the History of American Medicine and Public Health, Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2001; co-editor with Janet A. Tighe.
- Against the Spirit of System: The French Impulse in Nineteenth-Century American Medicine, Princeton University Press, 1998. New paperback edition (Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Fall 2003)
- The Therapeutic Perspective: Medical Practice, Knowledge, and Identity in America, 1820-1885, Harvard University Press, 1986; with new preface, Princeton University Press, 1997.