John H. Sinard MD, PhD
Professor of Pathology and of Ophthalmology and Visual Science; Vice Chair Pathology; Director, Anatomic Pathology; Director, Pathology Informatics
I am interested in the use of computers and information technology to promote the practice and teaching of anatomic pathology. Current work includes developing enhancements to our department's clinical information system(s) to improve workflow in the department.
Extensive Research Description
My current research interests are in the fields of autopsy pathology and pathology informatics. I am currently involved in the development of computer assisted teaching material for pathology education, and building a cancer data repository for the institution.
I am interested in developing database driven web "pages" to deliver educational and clinical material to the user, and to allow searching for specific information. I am also interested in developing electronic tools to assist the pathologist at signout.
- Sinard, J.H. (2006) Practical Pathology Informatics: demystifying informatics for the practicing anatomic pathologist. Springer-Verlag, London. 380pp.
- Sinard, J.H., and M.E. Mattie (2005) Overcoming the limitations of integrated clinical digital imaging solutions. Arch. Pathol. Lab Med. 129(9): 1118-1126.
- Sinard, J.H. (2001) Factors affecting autopsy rates, autopsy request rates, and autopsy findings at a large academic medical center. Experimental and Molecular Pathology 70(3): 333-343.
- Sinard, J.H. and Blood, D.J. Quality Improvement on an Academic Autopsy Service. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 125:237-245 (2001).
- Sinard, J.H. and Morrow, J.S. Informatics and Anatomic Pathology: Meeting Challenges and Charting the Future. Hum. Path. 32(2) 143-148 (2001).
- Belanger, A.J., Lopes, A.E., Sinard, J.H. Implementation of a practical digital imaging system for routine gross photography in an autopsy environment. Arch. Pathol. Lab. Med. 124:160-165 (2000).
- Sinard, J.H. Immunohistochemical distinction of ocular sebaceous carcinoma from basal cell and squamous cell carcinoma. Arch. Ophthalmol.117(6):776-783 (1999).
- Sinard, J.H. Outlines in Pathology. W.B. Saunders Company, Philadephia. 229 pages (1996).