Joan M. Cook PhD
Associate Professor of Psychiatry
Traumatic stress; Geriatric mental health; Dissemination and implementation of evidence-based practices
Dr. Cook’s clinical and research interests falls within three domains:
traumatic stress, geriatric mental health, and the dissemination and implementation of effective mental health services in the community. She is currently the principal investigator of a NIMH career development award examining psychotherapy dissemination to front-line clinicians. Her ultimate goal in this regard is to offer empirically-supported recommendations on how to overcome the barriers to achieving effective treatments in the community and to apply such protocols in large scale services effectiveness research. One focus is on understanding means of influencing clinician attitudes and preferences with an equal concentration on re-designing interventions and strategies to implement them to fit the needs and preferences of clinicians.
- Cook, J. M., O’Donnell, C., Dinnen, S. D. Coyne, J. C., Ruzek, J. I., & Schnurr, P. P. (2012). Measurement of a model of implementation for health care: Advancement toward a testable theory. Implementation Science, 3, 59-64.
- Cook, J. M., Dinnen, S., Rehman, O., Bufka, L., & Courtois, C. A. (2011). Responses of a sample of practicing psychologists to questions about clinical work with trauma and interest in specialized training. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice and Policy, 3, 253-257.
- Cook, J. M., Harb, G., Gehrman, P., Gamble, G., Cary, M., Forbes, D., & Ross, R. (2010). Imagery Rehearsal for posttraumatic nightmares in Vietnam veterans: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 23, 553-563.
- Cook, J. M., Schnurr, P., Biyanova, T., & Coyne, J. C. (2009). Apples don’t fall far from the trees: An internet survey of influences on psychotherapists’ adoption and sustained use of new therapies. Psychiatric Services, 60, 671-676.
- Cook, J. M., Biyanova, T., Masci, C., & Coyne, J. C. (2007). Older patient perspectives on long-term anxiolytic benzodiazepine use and discontinuation: A qualitative study. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 22, 1094-1100.
- Cook, J. M., Orvaschel, H., Simco, E., Hersen, M., & Joiner, Jr., T. E. (2004). A test of the tripartite model of depression and anxiety in older adult psychiatric outpatients. Psychology and Aging, 19, 444-451.
- Cook, J. M., Riggs, D. S., Thompson, R., Coyne, J. C., & Sheikh, J. (2004). Post-traumatic stress disorder and current relationship functioning of WWII ex-prisoners of war. Journal of Family Psychology, 18, 36-45.
- Cook, J. M., Pearson, J. L., Thompson, R., Black, B. S., & Rabins, P. V. (2002). Suicidality in older African-Americans: Findings from the EPOCH study. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 10, 437-446. .