Anemia, Sickle Cell; Blood Transfusion; Hematology; Pregnancy Complications, Hematologic; Immunity, Humoral
The Hendrickson laboratory studies complications of transfusion therapy, including RBC alloimmunization. Factors influencing RBC alloimmunization, including those on the donor and recipient sides of the equation, are studied primarily using reductionist murine models with expression of authentic human blood group antigens. Environmental and genetic factors impact the intersections of innate and adaptive immunity, resulting in RBC antibodies that lead to hemolytic transfusion reactions or hemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn. In addition to developing strategies to prevent RBC alloimmunization in a transfusion setting, the Hendrickson laboratory also studies strategies to prevent alloimmunization or to mitigate the dangers of existing maternal RBC alloantibodies in a pregnancy setting.
- Stowell, SR, Henry, KL, Smith, NH, Hudson, KE, Halverson, GR, Park, JC, Bennett, AM, Girard-Pierce, KR, Arthur, CM, Bunting, ST, Zimring, JC, Hendrickson, JE. Alloantibodies to a paternally derived RBC KEL antigen lead to hemolytic disease of the fetus/newborn in a murine model. Blood, 2013 Aug 22; 122(8): 1494-504
- Stowell, SR, Girard-Pierce, KR, Smith, NH, Henry, KL, Arthur, CM, Zimring, JC, Hendrickson, JE. Transfusion of murine red blood cells expressing the human KEL glycoprotein induces clinically significant alloantibodies. Transfusion, epub 2013 Apr 29. DOI: 10.1111/trf.12217.
- Girard-Pierce, KR, Stowell, SR, Smith, NH, Arthur, CM, Sullivan, HC, Hendrickson, JE, Zimring, JC. A novel role for C3 in antibody-induced red blood cell clearance and antigen modulation. Blood, 2013 Sept 5 122(10): 1793-801.
- Smith, NH, Hod, EA, Spitalnik, SL, Zimring, JC, Hendrickson, JE. Transfusion in the absence of inflammation induces antigen specific tolerance to murine RBCs. Blood, 2012 Feb 9; 119(6): 1566-1569.
- Hendrickson, JE, Desmarets, M, Deshpande S, et al. Recipient Inflammation Affects the Frequency and Magnitude of Immunization to Transfused Red Blood Cells. Transfusion 2006; 46(9): 1526-1536
- Stowell SR, Arthur CM, Girard-Pierce KR, Sullivan HC, Santhanakrishnan M, Natarajan P, Patel SR, Tormey CA, Zimring JC, Hendrickson JE. Anti-KEL sera prevents alloimmunization to transfused KEL RBCs in a murine model. Haematologica. 2015 July 16, epub.
- Immunophenotypic parameters and RBC alloimmunization in children with sickle cell disease on chronic transfusion therapy. American Journal of Hematology
- Please refer to CV on pubmed