Cell Differentiation; Stem Cells; Cell Proliferation; Neurogenesis
Public Health Interests
Behavioral Health; Prenatal/Fetal Development
Stem Cell Niche and Homing
Our first axis of research aims at understanding the development of glial cells in the central nervous system. Studies are focusing onto the specification and migration of oligodendrocyte precursor cells (OPCs) in the avian and murine embryonic brain. Research programs are currently developed to investigate the role of Hox Homeoproteins in OPC development and myelin repair.
Our second axis of studies concerns neurovascular interactions, especially the neurobiology of vascular growth factors and receptors. In collaboration with A. EICHMANN (Dpt of CardioVascular Medicine, Yale School of Medicine), we are exploring the role of VEGFRs (Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor Receptors) in neural stem cells and neurovascular niches of the adult brain. As VEGF receptors are targeted by anti-angiogenic anti-tumor therapies, investigations of possible effects of these treatments in the CNS are clinically highly relevant.
Specialized Terms: stem cells; Glial cells; Neurovascular niches; Cell proliferation and differentiation; Cell migration; Vascular growth factors and receptors; Axonal guidance molecules
Extensive Research Description
Projet 1: Hox paralog group 2 genes in oligodendrocyte development and myelin repair
(funded by ARSEP, 2010)
Projet 2: Neurogenesis through VEGF-C/VEGFR-3 signaling
(funded by ANR 2010)
- Eichmann A. and Thomas J-L. Molecular Parallels between Neural and Vascular Development. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med doi: 10.1101/cshperspect.a006551.
- Calvo CF, Fontaine RH, Soueid J, Tammela T, Makinen T, Alfaro-Cervello C, Bonnaud F, Miguez A, Benhaim L, Xu Y, Barallobre MJ, Moutkine I, Lyytikkä J, Tatlisumak T, Pytowski B, Zalc B, Richardson W., Kessaris N, Garcia-Verdugo JM, Alitalo K, Eichmann A, Thomas JL. Genes Dev. 2011 Apr 15;25(8):831-44.
- Le Bras B, Barallobre B, Homman-Ludiye J, Ny A, Wyns S, Tammela T, Haiko P, Karkkainen MJ, Yuan L, Muriel MP, Chatzopoulou E, Bréant C, Zalc B, Carmeliet P, Alitalo K, Eichmann A, Thomas JL. VEGF-C is a trophic factor for neural progenitors in the vertebrate embryonic brain. Nat. Neuroscience 2006; 9: 340-348.
- Spassky N, de Castro F, Le Bras B, Heydon K, Quéraud-Lesaux F, Bloch-Gallego E, Chedotal A, Zalc B, Thomas JL. Directional guidance of oligodendroglial migration by class 3 semaphorins and netrin-1 . J. Neurosci., 2002; 22: 5992-6004.
- Spassky N, Gouget-Zalc C, Parmantier E, Olivier C, Martinez S, Ivanova A, Ikenaka K, Cerruti I, Zalc B, Thomas JL. Multiple restricted origin of oligodendrocytes. J. Neurosci. 1998; 18: 8331-8343.