Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Hematologic Diseases; HIV; Mortality; Neurology; Patient Readmission; Veterans; Sleep Apnea, Obstructive; Stroke
Center for Neuroepidemiology and Clinical Neurological Research
I am interested in how medical comorbidities among ischemic stroke patients may be both novel stroke risk factors and adversely affect outcomes (e.g., mortality and readmission rates). Several areas that I am active examining include the role of HIV and stroke risk in the era of HAART, hematologic abnormalities associated with higher mortality rates among stroke patients, and addressing cardiac screening in this high risk vascular population.
Specialized Terms: Ischemic stroke; Outcomes based research; HIV/AIDS; Neuropathy; Obstructive sleep apnea
Extensive Research Description
- HIV and Ischemic Stroke in the era of combined antiretroviral therapy
- HIV and Hemorraghic Stroke in the era of combined antiretroviral therapy
- Cardiovascular Screening among Stroke Patients
- HIV Neuropathy
- Statins and Cerebrovascular Disease among those with HIV
- Thrombocytopenia and Ischemic Stroke Mortality
- Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Stroke Patients
- Thrombocytopenia and in-hospital mortality risk among ischemic stroke patients. Sico JJ, Phipps MS, Concato J, Wells CK, Lo AC, Nadeau SE, Williams LS, Peixoto AJ, Gorman M, Boice JL, Bravata DM. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013 Oct;22(7):e99-e102. doi: 10.1016/j.jstrokecerebrovasdis.2012.08.005. Epub 2012 Sep 10.