Jason Lee Gerrard MD, PhD
Assistant Professor of Neurosurgery; Section Chief, Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery
Epilepsy; Seizure detection; Development of intelligent brain-machine devices for treatment of neurological disease; Neural networks; Movement disorders
1) Understand the neural network processes that underlie epileptogenesis, seizure activation and propagation
2) Understand the neurological processes involved in movement disorders such as Parkinson's Disease and Essential Tremor
3) Development of intelligent brain-machine interface devices that advance the treatment of patients with neurological disorders.
Dr. Gerrard's research lab is focusing on understanding the neurological processes that underlie epileptogenesis, seizure activation and seizure propagation. He is also intricately involved in several translational research projects within the Epilepsy Program that aim to advance the understanding of epilepsy and movement disorders as well as the treatment of our patients.
- J.L. Gerrard, H.P. Zaveri, W. Kasoff, K.P. Vives, L.H. Hirsch, R.B. Duckrow, D.D. Spencer (2012) Expanding the intracranial montage does not increase IcEEG morbidity. American Epilepsy Society Meeting. San Diego, CA
- S. R. Patel, S.A. Sheth, M.K. Mian, J. Gale, J.L. Gerrard, B. Greenberg, D. Dougherty, E. Eskandar (2012) Human single-unit responses in the nucleus accumbens during a financial decision-making task. Computational and Systems Neuroscience Annual Meeting. Salt Lake City, UT.
- S.R. Patel, J.L. Gerrard, E. Eskandar. (2010) Modulation of primate hippocampal local field potential during learning. Program No. 204.18. 2010 Neuroscience Meeting. San Diego, CA; Society for Neuroscience, 2010. Online.
- J.L. Gerrard, S.R. Patel, E. Eskandar. (2010) A Virtual Place Cell? Virtual place related responses in primate hippocampal complex spike cells. Program No. 204.17. 2010 Neuroscience Meeting. San Diego, CA; Society for Neuroscience, 2010. Online
- M.V. Simon, J.L. Gerrard, E. N. Eskandar (2009) Electrocorticography. In M.V. Simon (Ed.), Intraoperative Neurophysiology: A comprehensive guide to monitoring and mapping. Demos Medical Publishing: New York, pp 95-130.
- J.L. Gerrard, S. N. Burke, B.L. McNaughton, and C.A. Barnes. (2008) Sequence reactivation in the hippocampus is impaired in aged rats. The Journal of Neuroscience, 28(31), 7883-7890