Air Pollution; Asthma
Public Health Interests
Air Pollution; Asthma; Child health
Dr. Gent’s primary research focus is the effects of air pollution on childhood asthma. She is a co–investigator on studies specifically focused on exposure to traffic, a major source of air pollution in our region. These studies take advantage of the large data base of ambient air contaminants measured by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) at central monitoring sites. Using this information as well as data collected by the research team at the CPPEE inside and outside of study subjects’ homes, Dr. Gent and her colleagues hope to contribute to the understanding of public health effects of short–term exposure to traffic–related air pollution.
Dr. Gent has served as a consultant for the EPA reviewing literature on the effects of nitrogen dioxide and particles on health. Her work for the EPA contributes to the production of their Integrated Science Assessments for these pollutants. This in turn is an important step in the regulatory process that leads to the setting of the National Air Quality Standards.
Dr. Gent is also a co–investigator with Melinda Pettigrew, Ph.D., School of Public Health, Division of Epidemiology of Microbial Diseases, on a study of microbial interactions of pathogens involved in otitis media.
- Belanger K, Holford TR, Gent JF, Hill ME, Kezik JM, Leaderer BP. Household levels of nitrogen dioxide and pediatric asthma severity. Epidemiology. 2013 Mar; 24(2):320-30. PMCID: PMC3686297
- Pettigrew MM, Laufer AS, Gent JF, Kong Y, Fennie KP, Metlay JP. Upper respiratory tract microbial communities, acute otitis media pathogens, and antibiotic use in healthy and sick children. Appl Environ Microbial. 2012 Sep; 78(17):6262-70. PMCID: PMC
- Gent JF, Kezik JM, Hill ME, Tsai E, Li D-W, Leaderer BP. Household mold and dust allergens: Exposure, sensitization and childhood asthma morbidity. Environmental Research. 2012; 118:86-93.
- Pettigrew MM, Gent JF, Pyles RB, Miller AL, Nokso-Koivisto J, Chonmaitree T. Viral-bacterial interactions and risk of acute otitis media complicating upper respiratory tract infection. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 2011 Nov; 49(11):3750-5. PMCID:
- Skene KJ, Gent JF, McKay LA, Belanger K, Leaderer BP, Holford TR. Modeling effects of traffic and landscape characteristics on ambient nitrogen dioxide in Connecticut. Atmospheric Environment, 2010;44: 5156-5164. PMCID: PMC2976574
- Lee HJ, Gent JF, Leaderer BP, Koutrakis P. Spatial and temporal variability of fine particle composition and source types in five cities of Connecticut and Massachusetts. Science of the Total Environment, 2011;409:2133-2142.
- Gent JF, Bell ML. Air pollution, population vulnerability, and standards for ambient air quality. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010;182:296-297. DOI: 10.1164/rccm.201004-0538ED [Editorial]
- Gent JF, Koutrakis P, Belanger K, Triche E, Holford TR, Bracken MB, Leaderer BP. Symptoms and medication use in children with asthma and traffic-related sources of fine particle pollution. Environ Health Perspect. 2009;117(7):1168-1174. PMCID: PMC2717146
- Gent JF, Triche EW, Holford TR, Belanger K, Bracken MB, Beckett WS, Leaderer BP. Association of low level ozone and fine particles with respiratory symptoms in children with asthma. JAMA. 2003;290:1859-1867. PMID: 14532314.
- Holford TR, Ebisu K, McKay LA, Gent JF, Triche EW, Bracken MB, Leaderer BP. Integrated exposure modeling: A model using GIS and GLM. Stat Med. 2009 Oct 12.
- Gent J, Belanger K, Triche EW, Bracken MB, Beckett WS, Leaderer BP. Association of pediatric asthma severity with exposure to common household dust allergens. Environmental Res. 2009;109:768-774. PMCID: PMC2706291