We take an interdisciplinary approach, which includes cell-free biochemistry, single molecule biophysics, and super-resolution optical imaging of single events/single molecules in the cell and in cell-free formats. The overall goal is to understand transport pathways form structural mechanism to cellular physiology. We have a strong interest in new lab members who bring backgrounds in protein biochemistry, organic chemistry, biophysics, and bio-engineering.
Extensive Research Description
- The biophysical mechanisms of membrane fusion.
- Regulation of vesicle fusion in synaptic transmission.
- Structural and functional organization of the Golgi apparatus.
- Kümmel, D., Krishnakumar, S.S., Radoff, D.T., Li, F., Giraudo, C.G., Pincet, F., Rothman, J.E., and Reinisch, K.M. 2011. Complexin Cross-links perfusion SNAREs into a Zig-Zag Array. 2011. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 18:927-33.
- Krishnakumar, S.S., Radoff, D.T., Kümmel, D, Giraudo,C.G., Li, F., Khandan, L., Baguley, S.W., Coleman, J., Reinisch, K.M., Pincet, F., and Rothman, J.E. "A Conformational Switch in Complexin is Required for Synaptotagmin to Trigger Synaptic Fusion" Nat.
- Li, F., Pincet, F., Perez, E., Giraudo, C.G., Tareste, D., and Rothman, J.E. " Complexin Activates and Clamps SNAREpins by a Common Mechanism Involving an Intermediate Energetic State" Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. (2011) 18, 941-46.
- Lavieu, G., Orci, L., Shi, L., Geiling, M., Ravazzola, M., Wieland, F., Cosson, P. and Rothman, J. E. “Induction of cortical endoplasmic reticulum by dimerization of a coatomer-binding peptide anchored to endoplasmic reticulum membranes” Proc. Natl. Acad.
- Karatekin, E., Di Giovanni, J., Iborra, C., Coleman, J., O'Shaughnessy, B., Seagar, M. and Rothman, J. E. “A fast, single-vesicle fusion assay mimics physiological SNARE requirements” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (2010) 107, 3517-21