Clinical Trials as Topic; Data Collection; Diabetes Mellitus; Emergency Medicine; Epidemiology; Nutritional and Metabolic Diseases; Obesity; Statistics as Topic
A major focus of my research career has centered on the design, analysis and coordination of clinical trials. Over the past ten years I have overseen data coordinating and biostatistical efforts for numerous studies including trials evaluating a computer-assisted screening and brief intervention to reduce alcohol use in Latino drinkers, determining the efficacy of a novel integrated tobacco order set embedded within the EMR to promote sustained smoking abstinence in hospitalized smokers, and examining pharmaceutical and behavioral interventions in children and adults with autism spectrum and Tourette disorders through the Research Unit on Pediatric Psychopharmacology (RUPP) Autism network and the Behavioral Sciences Consortium for Tourette Syndrome. I served as the PI of the data coordinating center for the RUPP Autism Network study of Guanfacine for the treatment of hyperactivity. I am currently the Director of the Data Coordinating Center for the multicenter Autism Biomarkers for Clinical Trials (ABC-CT) study. I'm also a senior statistician for the PCORI funded Strategies to Reduce Injuries and Develop confidence in Elders (STRIDE) trial, a cluster randomized trial of 6000 participants from 80 primary care practices.
Extensive Research DescriptionMuch of my recent contributions have been in the area of Emergency Medicine. Collaborations include evaluating and testing a disability scale in older visitors to the ED, examining the efficacy of a bilingual computer-assisted screen and brief intervention for Latino unhealthy drinkers, determining prognostic factors for patients in ED chest pain observation, describing the diagnostic accuracy of point-of-care ultrasound and the evaluation of a network analytic model for adherence and abstinence. Additionally, I've studied the behavioral factors involved with motor vehicle crashes. Through the NIDA funded Yale-Drug Abuse, Addiction, and HIV Research Scholars (Yale-DAHRS) I am actively engaged in the mentorship and training of junior clinician scientists with an emphasis on designing research studies that improve health outcomes of patients with and at risk for drug abuse, addiction, and HIV.
Another area of research concentration is the epidemiology and treatment of metabolic disorders such as obesity and diabetes. My dissertation focused on the effects of physical activity on body weight maintenance and diabetes in older individuals. More recent contributions have examined metabolic consequences of obesity in children and behavioral approaches to weight reduction. I've also studied mechanisms of insulin resistance in children and adults.
- Scahill L, Aman MG, McDougle CJ, Arnold LE, McCracken JT, Handen B, Johnson C, Dziura J, Butter E, Sukhodolsky D, Swiezy N, Mulick J (2009) Trial design challenges when combining medication and parent training in children with pervasive developmental disorders.
- Effects of a weight management program on body composition and metabolic parameters in overweight children: a randomized controlled trial. Savoye M, Shaw M, Dziura J, Tamborlane WV, Rose P, Guandalini C, Goldberg-Gell R, Burgert TS, Cali AM, Weiss R, Caprio S. JAMA. 2007 Jun 27;297(24):2697-704.
- Chupp GL, Lee CG, Jarjour N, Shim YM, Holm CT, He S, Dziura JD, Reed J, Coyle AJ, Kiener P, Cullen M, Grandsaigne M, Dombret MC, Aubier M, Pretolani M, Elias JA. (2007) A chitinase-like protein in the lung and circulation of patients with severe asthma.
- Wait-and-see prescription for the treatment of acute otitis media: a randomized controlled trial. Spiro DM, Tay KY, Arnold DH, Dziura JD, Baker MD, Shapiro ED. JAMA. 2006 Sep 13;296(10):1235-41.
- Obesity and the metabolic syndrome in children and adolescents. Weiss R, Dziura J, Burgert TS, Tamborlane WV, Taksali SE, Yeckel CW, Allen K, Lopes M, Savoye M, Morrison J, Sherwin RS, Caprio S. N Engl J Med. 2004 Jun 3;350(23):2362-74.
- Can physical activity attenuate aging-related weight loss in older people? The Yale Health and Aging Study, 1982-1994. Dziura J, Mendes de Leon C, Kasl S, DiPietro L. Am J Epidemiol. 2004 Apr 15;159(8):759-67.
- Mitochondrial dysfunction in the elderly: possible role in insulin resistance. Petersen KF, Befroy D, Dufour S, Dziura J, Ariyan C, Rothman DL, DiPietro L, Cline GW, Shulman GI. Science. 2003 May 16;300(5622):1140-2.
- Ghogawala Z, Dziura J, Butler WE, Dai F, Terrin N, Magge SN, Coumans JCE, Harrington JF, Amin-Hanjani S, Schwartz S, Sonntag VKH, Barker II FG, Benzel EC. N Engl J Med 2016;374:1424-34.
- Fiellin LE, Kyriakides TC, Hieftje KD, Pendergrass TM, Duncan LR, Dziura JD, Sawyer BG, Fiellin DA.Clin Trials. 2016 Mar 24. pii: 1740774516637871. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:27013483
- Scahill L, McCracken JT, King BH, Rockhill C, Shah B, Politte L, Sanders R, Minjarez M, Cowen J, Mullett J, Page C, Ward D, Deng Y, Loo S, Dziura J, McDougle CJ; Am J Psychiatry. 2015 Dec;172(12):1197-206. doi: 10.1176/appi.ajp.2015.15010055.
- Bearss K, Johnson C, Smith T, Lecavalier L, Swiezy N, Aman M, McAdam DB, Butter E, Stillitano C, Minshawi N, Sukhodolsky DG, Mruzek DW, Turner K, Neal T, Hallett V, Mulick JA, Green B, Handen B, Deng Y, Dziura J, Scahill L. JAMA. 2015 Apr 21;313(15):1524-33. PMID:25898050
- Page KA, Chan O, Arora J, Belfort-Deaguiar R, Dzuira J, Roehmholdt B, Cline GW, Naik S, Sinha R, Constable RT, Sherwin RS. JAMA. 2013;309(1):63-70. doi: 10.1001/jama.2012.116975. PubMed PMID: 23280226.
- Herold KC, Gitelman SE, Willi SM, Gottlieb PA, Waldron-Lynch F, Devine L, Sherr J, Rosenthal SM, Adi S, Jalaludin MY, Michels AW, Dziura J, Bluestone JA. Diabetologia. 2013;56(2):391-400. doi: 10.1007/s00125-012-2753-4. PubMed PMID: 23086558; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3537871.
- Dziura JD, Post LA, Zhao Q, Fu Z, Peduzzi P. The Yale journal of biology and medicine. 2013;86(3):343-58. PubMed PMID: 24058309; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC3767219.