Huiping Zhang PhD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Psychiatric Genetics; Epigenetics; Functional genomics; Substance Dependence
We are examining genetic and epigenetic changes that may increase the risk for substance dependence and other psychiatric disorders.
Extensive Research Description
Our research goal is to understand the genetic mechanism of substance dependence and other psychiatric disorders. We are using a number of approaches (such as candidate gene and genome-wide linkage or association studies) to identify gene variants that may influence the vulnerability to the disorders. We are also using the next-generation sequencing technology to find new rare variants which may be implicated in the disorders. The function of disease-associated variants will be further studied to see if they can change gene expression levels. We are also investigating if gene methylation patterns are altered in patients in comparison to healthy controls. On top of that, we are probing the effect of genes and gene-smoking interaction on cognitive flexibility.
- Xu H, Wang F, Liu Y, Yu Y, Gelernter J, Zhang H*. Sex-biased methylome and transcriptome in human prefrontal cortex. Hum Mol Genet. 2013. [PMID: 24163133]. In press.
- Wang F, Gelernter J, Zhang H*. Differential Expression of miR-130a in Postmortem Prefrontal Cortex of Subjects with Alcohol Use Disorders. J Addict Res Ther 2013, 4: 155.
- Zhang H*, Wang F, Kranzler HR, Zhao H, Gelernter J. Profiling of Childhood Adversity-associated DNA Methylation Changes in Alcoholic Patients and Healthy Controls. PLoS ONE 2013; 8(6): e65648.
- Wang F, Simen A, Arias A, Lu QW, Zhang H*. A large-scale meta-analysis of the association between the ANKK1/DRD2 Taq1A polymorphism and alcohol dependence. Hum Genet. 2013; 132(3):347-58.
- Barker JM, Zhang Y, Wang F, Taylor JR, Zhang H*. Ethanol-induced Htr3a Promoter Methylation Changes in Mouse Blood and Brain. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013; 37 Suppl 1:E101-7.
- Zhang H*, Herman AI, Kranzler HR, Anton RF, Zhao H, Zheng W, Gelernter J. Array-based Profiling of DNA Methylation Changes Associated with Alcohol Dependence. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2013; 37 Suppl 1:E108-15.
- Wang F, Gelernter J, Kranzer HR, Zhang H*. Identification of POMC Exonic Variants Associated with Substance Dependence and Body Mass Index. PLoS ONE. 2012;7(9):e45300.
- Zhang H*, Herman A, Kranzler HR, Anton RF, Simen A, Gelernter J. Hypermethylation of OPRM1 promoter region in European Americans with alcohol dependence. J Hum Genet. 2012; 57(10):670-5.
- Zhang H*, Wang F, Kranzler HR, Anton RF, Gelernter J. Variation in regulator of G-Protein signaling 17 Gene (RGS17) is associated with multiple substance dependence diagnoses. Behav Brain Funct. 2012; 8:23.
- Zhang H*, Kranzler HR, Poling J, Gelernter J. Variation in the Nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor Gene Cluster CHRNA5-CHRNA3-CHRNB4 and Its Interaction with Recent Tobacco Use Influence Cognitive Flexibility. Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010; 35(11):2211-2224.