Gilbert Moeckel MD, PhD, FASN
Associate Professor of Pathology; Director, Renal Pathology and Electron Microscopy Labratory
Fibrosis; Progression of chronic kidney disease; Acute kidney injury; Regenerative medicine; Injury repair
My lab studies the molecular mechanisms of fibrosis in the kidney and factors that lead to progression of fibrosis in diabetic nephropathy. We are also studying the role of adult stem cells in repair of acute kidney injury.
Extensive Research Description
- Seo-Mayer P, Kenney B, McNamara J, Stein J, Moeckel GW. Hematuria and decreased kidney function as initial signs of acute B-cell lymphoblastic leukemia. Am J Kidney Dis. 2010 Nov;56(5):1001-5.
- Li Zhang, Dong Chen, Zhonghai Chen, and Gilbert W. Moeckel. Hypertonicity-induced Mitochondrial Membrane Permeability in Renal Medullary Interstitial Cells: Protective Role of Osmolytes. Cell Physiol Biochem 2010;25:753-760.
- Marin EP, Moeckel G, Al-Lamki R, Bradley J, Yan Q, Wang T, Wright PL, Yu J, Sessa WC. Identification and regulation of reticulon 4B (NogoB) in renal tubular epithelial cells. Am J Pathol. 2010 Dec;177(6):2765-73.
- Perazella MA, Moeckel GW. Nephrotoxicity from chemotherapeutic agents: clinical manifestations, pathobiology, and prevention/therapy. Semin Nephrol. 2010 Nov;30(6):570-81.
- Veron D, Bertuccio CA, Marlier A, Reidy K, Garcia AM, Jimenez J, Velazquez H, Kashgarian M, Moeckel GW, Tufro A. Diabetologia. 2011 May;54(5):1227-41.
- Jurczak MJ, Lee HY, Birkenfeld AL, Jornayvaz FR, Frederick DW, Pongratz RL, Zhao X, Moeckel GW, Samuel VT, Whaley JM, Shulman GI, Kibbey RG. Diabetes. 2011 Mar; 60(3):890-8
- GW Moeckel, L Zhang, X Chen, M Rossini, R Zent and A Pozzi. Role of integrin alpha 1 beta 1 in the regulation of renal medullary osmolyte concentration. Am J Physiol, 2006, 290:F223-31.
- Gilbert W. Moeckel, Li Zhang, Chuan-Ming Hao, Agnes B. Fogo, Ambra Pozzi and Matthew D. Breyer. COX2 activity promotes organic osmolyte accumulation adaptation of renal medullary interstitial cells from hypertonic stress. J Biol Chem 278(21):19352-19357, 2003.