Accident Prevention; Adolescent; Alcoholic Beverages; Behavioral Medicine; Emergency Medicine; Motor Vehicles; Healthcare Disparities
The focus of Dr. Vaca's scholarly work and research is to investigate and better understand the racial and ethnic disparities in traffic-related morbidity and mortality. Moreover, it is to study traffic safety in a cultural context with a sociological and public health perspective in order to identify behavioral determinant of risk and protection that would inform the development of effective community and clinical contact intervention strategies.
Specialized Terms: Adolescent; Alcohol; Behavioral; Injury; Injury Epidemiology; Intervention; Motor Vehicle; Pedestrian; Prevention; Trauma; Health Disparities
- Vaca FE, Li K, Hingson R, Simons-Morton BG. Transitions in Riding With an Alcohol/Drug-Impaired Driver From Adolescence to Emerging Adulthood in the United States. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2016 Jan;77(1):77-85.
- Simons-Morton B, Li K, Ehsani J, Vaca FE. Co-variability in Three Dimensions of Teenage Driving Risk Behavior: Impaired Driving, Risky and Unsafe Driving Behavior, and Secondary Task Engagement. Traffic Inj Prev. 2015 Oct 29:0.
- Hawk KF, Vaca FE, D'Onofrio G. Reducing Fatal Opioid Overdose: Prevention, Treatment and Harm Reduction Strategies. Yale J Biol Med. 2015 Sep 3;88(3):235-45.
- Li K, Simons-Morton BG, Vaca FE, Hingson R. Reciprocal Associations Between Parental Monitoring Knowledge and Impaired Driving in Adolescent Novice Drivers. Traffic Inj Prev. 2015;16(7):645-51.
- Riera A, Ocasio A, Tiyyagura G, Krumeich L, Ragins K, Thomas A, Trevino S, Vaca FE. Latino caregiver experiences with asthma health communication. Qual Health Res. 2015 Jan;25(1):16-26.
- Riera A, Ocasio A, Goncalves P, Krumeich L, Katz KH, Trevino S, Vaca FE. Findings from a community-based asthma education fair for Latino caregivers. J Asthma. 2015 Feb;52(1):71-80.
- Vaca FE, Romano E, Fell JC. Female drivers increasingly involved in impaired driving crashes: actions to ameliorate the risk. Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Dec;21(12):1485-92.
- Greenberg MR, Kane BG, Totten VY, Raukar NP, Moore EC, Sanson T, Barraco RD, Nguyen MC, Vaca FE. Injury due to mechanical falls: future directions in gender-specific surveillance, screening, and interventions in emergency department patients. Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Dec;21(12):1380-5.
- Sethuraman KN, Marcolini EG, McCunn M, Hansoti B, Vaca FE, Napolitano LM. Gender-specific issues in traumatic injury and resuscitation: consensus-based recommendations for future research. Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Dec;21(12):1386-94.
- Raukar NP, Zonfrillo MR, Kane K, Davenport M, Espinoza TR, Weiland J, Franco V, Vaca FE. Gender- and sex-specific sports-related injury research in emergency medicine: a consensus on future research direction and focused application. Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Dec;21(12):1370-9.
- Chekijian S, Paul M, Kohl VP, Walker DM, Tomassoni AJ, Cone DC, Vaca FE. The global burden of road injury: its relevance to the emergency physician. Emerg Med Int. 2014;2014:139219.
- Li K, Simons-Morton BG, Vaca FE, Hingson R. Association between riding with an impaired driver and driving while impaired. Pediatrics. 2014 Apr;133(4):620-6.
- Riera A, Navas-Nazario A, Shabanova V, Vaca FE. The impact of limited English proficiency on asthma action plan use. J Asthma. 2014 Mar;51(2):178-84.
- Vaca FE, Walthall JM, Ryan S, Moriarty-Daley A, Riera A, Crowley MJ, Mayes LC. Adolescent Balloon Analog Risk Task and Behaviors that Influence Risk of Motor Vehicle Crash Injury. Ann Adv Automot Med. 2013;57:77-88.
- Fu J, Anderson CL, Dziura JD, Crowley MJ, Vaca FE. The impact of state level graduated driver licensing programs on rates of passenger restraint use and unlicensed driving in fatal crashes. Ann Adv Automot Med. 2013;57:89-98.
- Vaca FE, Trevino S, Riera A, Meyer E, Anderson CL. Contextualizing exposures and experiences of behaviors that influence the risk of crash injury in Latino adolescent males. Ann Adv Automot Med, 2012 Oct;56:79-86
- Fu J, Anderson CL, Dziura JD, Crowley MJ, Vaca FE. Young unlicensed drivers and passenger restraint use in US fatal crashes: Concern for risk spillover? Ann Adv Automot Med, 2012 Oct56:37-43
- Chakravarthy B, Anderson CL, Ludlow J, Lotfipour S, Vaca FE. A Geographic Analysis of Collisions Involving Child Pedestrians in a Large Southern California County, Traffic Inj Prev. 2012 Mar;13(2):193-8.
- Vaca FE, Anderson CL, Crash Injury Risk Behavior in Adolescent Latino Males: The Power of Friends and Relational Connections, Ann Adv Automot Med, 2011 Oct;55:41-50
- Vaca FE, Winn D, Anderson CL, Kim D, Arcila M. 6 Month Follow-up of Computerized Alcohol Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment in the Emergency Department. Subst Abuse. 2011; 32(3):144-52.
- Landman AB, Phipps MS, Jawin K, Bolton L, Van Gelder CM, Kamin R, Teel B, Vaca FE. Helmet Use in Connecticut Motorcycle Crashes: A State without a Universal Helmet Law, Connecticut Medicine, 2011 May;75(5):261-8.
- Vaca FE, Anderson CL, Hayes-Bautista D. The Latino Adolescent Male Mortality Peak Revisited: Attribution of Homicide and Motor Vehicle Crash Fatality. Inj Prev. Dec 5. 2010
- Vaca FE, Winn D, Anderson CL, Kim D, Arcila M. Feasibility of Emergency Department Bilingual Computerized Alcohol Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment. Subst Abuse. 2010 Oct;31(4):264-9.
- Tsai V, Anderson CL, Vaca F. Alcohol Involvement Among Young Female Drivers in US Fatal Crashes: Unfavorable Trends. Inj Prev. 2010 Feb;16(1):17-20.
- Vaca F, Anderson C, US Motor Vehicle Fatality Trends in Young Latino Males, Ann Adv Automot Med, 2009 Oct; (53):77-82