The focus of Dr. Vaca's scholarly work and research is to investigate and better understand the racial and ethnic disparities in traffic-related morbidity and mortality. Moreover, it is to study traffic safety in a cultural context with a sociological and public health perspective in order to identify behavioral determinant of risk and protection that would inform the development of effective community and clinical contact intervention strategies.
- Vaca FE, Trevino S, Riera A, Meyer E, Anderson CL. Contextualizing exposures and experiences of behaviors that influence the risk of crash injury in Latino adolescent males. Ann Adv Automot Med, 2012 Oct;56:79-86
- Fu J, Anderson CL, Dziura JD, Crowley MJ, Vaca FE. Young unlicensed drivers and passenger restraint use in US fatal crashes: Concern for risk spillover? Ann Adv Automot Med, 2012 Oct56:37-43
- Chakravarthy B, Anderson CL, Ludlow J, Lotfipour S, Vaca FE. A Geographic Analysis of Collisions Involving Child Pedestrians in a Large Southern California County, Traffic Inj Prev. 2012 Mar;13(2):193-8.
- Fu J, Vaca FE. Characteristics of Law Enforcement Officers’ (LEO) Fatalities in Motor Vehicle Crashes: A Lack of Safety Culture in LEOs is a Loss for Us All. Ann Emerg Med. 2011 Dec;58(6):569-71
- Vaca FE, Anderson CL, Crash Injury Risk Behavior in Adolescent Latino Males: The Power of Friends and Relational Connections, Ann Adv Automot Med, 2011 Oct;55:41-50
- Vaca FE, Winn D, Anderson CL, Kim D, Arcila M. 6 Month Follow-up of Computerized Alcohol Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment in the Emergency Department. Subst Abuse. 2011; 32(3):144-52.
- Landman AB, Phipps MS, Jawin K, Bolton L, Van Gelder CM, Kamin R, Teel B, Vaca FE. Helmet Use in Connecticut Motorcycle Crashes: A State without a Universal Helmet Law, Connecticut Medicine, 2011 May;75(5):261-8.
- Isenberg D, Cone D, Vaca FE, Motor Vehicle Intrusion Alone Does Not Predict Trauma Center Admission or Use of Trauma Center Resources. Prehosp Emerg Care April/June Early Release Online (2) 2011. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2011 Jan 12.
- Vaca FE, Anderson CL, Hayes-Bautista D. The Latino Adolescent Male Mortality Peak Revisited: Attribution of Homicide and Motor Vehicle Crash Fatality. Inj Prev. Dec 5. 2010
- Vaca FE, Winn D, Anderson CL, Kim D, Arcila M. Feasibility of Emergency Department Bilingual Computerized Alcohol Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment. Subst Abuse. 2010 Oct;31(4):264-9.
- Tsai V, Anderson CL, Vaca F. Alcohol Involvement Among Young Female Drivers in US Fatal Crashes: Unfavorable Trends. Inj Prev. 2010 Feb;16(1):17-20.
- Vaca F, Anderson C, US Motor Vehicle Fatality Trends in Young Latino Males, Ann Adv Automot Med, 2009 Oct; (53):77-82