Federico Vaca MD, MPH
Professor of Emergency Medicine and in the Child Study Center; Senior Research Faculty
Dr. Vaca is a Professor of Emergency Medicine and in the Child Study Center. He is a Senior Research Faculty member in the Yale School of Medicine's Department of Emergency Medicine. Dr. Vaca previously served as a Medical Fellow for the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in Washington, D.C. He serves on the Transportation Research Board of the National Academies’ Committee on Operator Education and Regulation, ANB30 and is a Collaborating-Visiting Researcher at the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health & Human Development (NICHD), Division of Intramural Population Health Research (DIPHR), Health Behavior Branch (HBB).
Dr. Vaca is a research and academic mentor to NIDA-funded K12 Mentored Clinical Scientists Development Program Award in Drug Abuse and Addiction and the Yale University Robert Wood Johnson Clinical Scholars Program.
His research has focused on adolescent development and behaviors that influence the risk of motor vehicle crash morbidity and mortality. Dr. Vaca has served on several national expert panels directed by the National Academies of Science and the Transportation Research Board, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Safe States Alliance (formerly the State Territorial Injury Prevention Directors Association), and the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Dr. Vaca serves as member of the Executive Committee and the Board of Directors for the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine. He is also a member of the National Hispanic Science Network.
Dr. Vaca was recently awarded the 2013 American College of Emergency Physicians National Faculty Teaching Award.
Education & Training
- Creighton University School of Medicine (1992)
- University of California at Los Angeles (2002)
- University of California-Irvine Medical Center, Emergency Medicine (1992 - 1995)
- U.S. Department of Transportation and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
- University of California-San Diego, Family and Preventive Medicine - Division of Primary Care Sports Medicine (1995 - 1996)
- Board Certification
- Sports Medicine (Emergency Medicine), Board Certified (2006)
- Board Certification
- Emergency Medicine, Board Certified (2006)
Honors & Recognition
- California State Traffic Safety Achievement Award
California Office of Traffic Safety (2007)
- National Faculty Teaching Award
American College of Emergency Physicians (2013)
- AAMC, Humanism in Medicine Award
Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), University of California, Irvine-School of Medicine (2005)
- National Honorary Society in Public Health
Delta Omega (2002)
- Board of Directors, Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine
- Executive Committee, Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine
- Committee Member, Transportation Research Board of the National Academies, Committee on Operator Education and Regulation, ANB30