Psychiatry: Cosgrove Lab Collaborators
Extensive Research Description
Professor Morris specializes in using kinetic modeling to extract physiological information from dynamic PET images.
Morris and his group continue to refine mathematical and statistical aspects of their techniques for extracting transient neurotransmitter fluctuations induced by drugs or behaviors from dynamic PET data. The end-product of these modeling/image processing techniques are minute-by-minute "movies" of neurotransmitter release in the brain. Recent papers by Morris et al., (Neuroimage 2010) and Normandin et al (Neuroimage 2012) and Sullivan et al (AJNMMI 2013) and Kim et al (Hum Brain Map 2014) demonstrate the work. The culmination of these theoretical developments resulted in a paper by Cosgrove et al (J Neurosci 2014) showing differences in brain responses of male and female smokers while smoking.
Current projects includea. relating occupancy of neuroreceptors by medications to medication efficacy
b. relating neurotransmitter dynamics to drug-seeking behavior
c. understanding medication efficacy through its effect on neurotransmitter dynamics
d. developing new models of temporal patterns in PET data as biomarkers of disease and risk
e. developing metrics for assessing the accuracy and precision of parametric images
- Cosgrove KP, Wang S, Kim SJ, McGovern E, Nabulsi N, Gao H, Labaree D, Tagare HD, Sullivan JM, Morris ED. Sex Differences in the Brain's Dopamine Signature of Cigarette Smoking. J Neurosci. 2014 Dec 10;34(50):16851-5.
- Kim SJ, Sullivan JM, Wang S, Cosgrove KP, Morris ED, Voxelwise lp-ntPET for detecting localized, transient dopamine release of unknown timing: Sensitivity Analysis and Application to Cigarette Smoking in the PET Scanner, Hum Brain Mapp. 2014 Sep;35(9):4876-91.
- Petrulli JR, Sullivan JM, Zheng MQ, Bennett DC, Charest J, Huang Y, Morris ED, Contessa JN. Quantitative analysis of [11C]-erlotinib PET demonstrates specific binding for activating mutations of the EGFR kinase domain. Neoplasia. 2013 Dec;15(12):1347-53.
- Sullivan JM, Kim SJ, Cosgrove KP, Morris ED. Limitations of SRTM, Logan graphical method, and equilibrium analysis for measuring transient dopamine release with [(11)C]raclopride PET. Am J Nucl Med Mol Imaging. 2013 Apr 9;3(3):247-60.
- Normandin MD, Schiffer WK, Morris ED. A linear model for estimation of neurotransmitter response profiles from dynamic PET data. Neuroimage. 2012 Feb 1;59(3):2689-99