Eugene D Shapiro MD
Professor of Pediatrics (General Pediatrics) and of Epidemiology (Microbial Diseases); Deputy Director, Investigative Medicine Program; Co-Director of Education, of KL-2 Mentored Clinical Scholar Program and of Child Health Research, Yale Center for Clinical Investigation; Associate Chair for Clinical Translational and Educational Research, Department of Pediatrics; American Board of Pediatrics, Chair, Subboard of Infectious Diseases
Vaccines; Lyme disease; Epidemiology of infectious diseases
On-going projects of the effectiveness of varicella vaccine and of rotavirus vaccine in clinical practice
The effectiveness of vaccines in clinical practice; Prevention, diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease; clinical epidemiology; case-control studies
Extensive Research Description
Clinical epidemiologic research on the effectiveness of vaccines, prevention, diganosis and treatment of Lyme disease.
- Feder HM Jr, Johnson BJB, O’Connell S, Shapiro ED, Steere AC, Wormser GP, et al. A critical appraisal of “Chronic Lyme Disease.” N Engl J Med 2007;357:1422-30
- Wormser GP, Dattwyler RJ, Shapiro ED, et al. The clinical assessment, treatment and prevention of Lyme disease, human granulocytic Anaplasmosis, and Babesiosis: Clinical practice guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2006;43:1089-1134.
- Vázquez M, LaRussa PS, Gershon AA, Niccolai LM, Muehlenbein CE, Steinberg SP, Shapiro ED. Effectiveness of varicella vaccine over time. JAMA 2004; 291:851-855.
- Shapiro ED. Case-control studies of the effectiveness of vaccines: Validity and assessment of bias. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2004;23:127-31.
- Vázquez M, LaRussa PS, Gershon AA, Steinberg SP, Freudigman K, Shapiro ED.
Effectiveness of Varicella Vaccine in Clinical Practice. N Engl J Med 2001;344:955-60.
- Seltzer EG, Shapiro ED. Misdiagnosis of Lyme disease: When not to order serologic tests. Pediatr Infect Dis J 1996;15:762-763.