Affective Disorders, Psychotic; Depressive Disorder; Hispanic Americans; Psychiatry; Schizophrenia; Teaching; Global Health; Cultural Diversity; Mood Disorders; Schizophrenia and Disorders with Psychotic Features
Adherence to medication in persistent mental disorders. Mental Health Services for Latino Populations: exploring influences affecting access and retention. Exploring effective methods to teach cultural sensitivity. Application of the Cultural formulation interview for DSM 5 in clinical and educational settings. Influences of bias and prejudices on mental health care.
Specialized Terms: Medication adherence in Latinos; Culturally sensitive services; Ethnicity and language influences on mood disorders diagnoses; Teaching methods for cultural sensitivity; Cultural formulation interview DSM5
Extensive Research Description
The Latino Behavioral Health, an expansion of mental health services to primary care and community agencies.
Development methods to teach cultural competence and sensitivity
Cultural Formulation Interview for DSM 5.
- Diaz, E., Armah, T., Hinton, L. “Supplementary Module: Social Network” in Lewis-Fernandez R., Aggarwal, N., Hinton, L., Hinton, D., Kirmayer, L. (Editors) DSM-5 Handbook on the Cultural Formulation Interview. Accepted for Publication. American Psychiatric Publishing
- Diaz, E. Silva, M., Garcia-Aracena F., Paris, M., Anez, L., Barkil-Oteo, A., Delphin, M. “Cultural Psychiatry and Public Health” in Steiner, J. & Jacobs, S. (Editors) Yale Textbook of Public Psychiatry Accepted for Publication, Oxford Press
- Díaz E, Miskemen T, Vega WA, Gara M, Wilson DR, Lesser I, Escamilla M, Neighbors HW, Arndt S, Strakowski S.(2009) Inconsistencies in diagnosis and symptoms among bilingual and English-speaking Latinos and Euro-Americans.
- Diaz E, Woods SW, Rosenheck RA. Effects of ethnicity on psychotropic medications adherence. Community Ment Health J. 2005 Oct;41(5):521-37.
- Diaz, E., Armah, T., Linse, C., Fiskin, A., Jordan, A.,Hafler, J. “Novel Brief Cultural Psychiatry Training for Residents. Academic Psychiatry, 2016, 40: 366-368 DOI 10.1007/s40596-015-0279-z
- Aggarwal N, Lam, P., Castillo, E., Weiss, M.D., Diaz E, et al “How Do Clinicians Prefer Cultural Competence Training? Findings from the DSM-5 Cultural Formulation Interview Field Trial” Acad Psychiatry. 2016 Aug; 40(4): 584-591. doi: 10.1007/s40596-015-0429-3. PMID: 26449983
- Diaz, E., Añez, L.M., Silva, M., Paris, M., Davidson., L. "Using the Cultural Formulation Interview to Build Culturally Sensitive Services". Psychiatric Services. In Press 2017
- Lewis-Fernandez, R., Aggarwal, N., Lam, P., Galfalvy, H., Weiss, M., Kirmayer, L., Deshpande, S., Diaz, E., Nicasio, A., Boiler, M., Alarcon, R., Rohlof, H., Groen, S., VanDijk, R., Jadhav, S., et al. "Feasibility, Acceptability, and Clinical Utility of the Cultural Formulation Interview: Mixed-Methods Results from the DSM-5 International Field Trial". British Journal of Psychiatry. In Press