Alcoholism; Personality; Personality Disorders; Pharmacology; Psychiatry; Stress, Physiological; Comorbidity; Diagnosis, Dual (Psychiatry)
Dr. Ralevski is pursuing research into various aspects of substance abuse, with a primary focus on alcoholism. Current research projects are focusing on treatment studies with novel psychopharmacological approaches to the treatment of individuals who are diagnosed with alcoholism and other psychiatric conditions including depression, post traumatic stress disorder, schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder. Her other research examines factors, such as stress, that may lead to the development and maintenance of alcoholism and other mental disorders.
Specialized Terms: Alcoholism; Dual Diagnosis; Personality; Personality Disorders; Psychiatric comorbidity; Pharmacology; Stress
Extensive Research Description
Stress Reactivity in Veterans Receiving Pharmacological Treatment for PTSD and Alcohol Dependence
- Ralevski E, Gianoli MO, Russo, M, Dwan, R, Radhakrishnan, R. Cognitive deficits in schizophrenia and alcoholism: A review of the evidence and findings on the effects of pharmacological treatments on cognitive functioning in patients with dual diagnoses. Journal of Dual Diagnosis 2012, 8(3): 205-217. doi:10.1080/15504263.2012.696534
- Subjective Effects of Thiopental in Young Adults with and without a Family History of Alcoholism. Petrakis, IL, Kerfoot, K, Pittman, B, Perrino, A, Koretski, J, Newcomb, J, Limoncelli, D, Acampora, G, Ralevski, E. Subjective Effects of Thiopental in Young Adults with and without a Family History of Alcoholism. J Addict Res Ther. 2012 May 14;Suppl 7(2)
- Gianoli MO, Jane JS, O’Brien E, Ralevski E. Treatment for comorbid borderline personality disorder and alcohol use disorders: A review of the evidence and future recommendations. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 2012; 20(4): 333-344. doi: 10.1037/a0027999
- Preliminary findings on the interactive effects of IV ethanol and IV nicotine on human behavior and cognition: a laboratory study. Ralevski E, Perry EB, D’Souza DC, Bufis V, Elander J, Limoncelli D, Vendeti M, Dean E, Cooper T, McKee S, Petrakis I. Preliminary findings on the interactive effects of IV ethanol and IV nicotine on human behavior and cognition: a laboratory study. Nicotine Tob Res. 2012 May;14(5):596-606
- Petrakis IL, Ralevski E, Desai N, Trevisan L, Gueorgeuieva R, Rounsaville B, VA VISN I MIRECC Study Group, Krystal JH. Noradrenergic vs. serotonergic antidepressant with/without naltrexone for veterans with PTSD and comorbid alcohol dependence. Neuropsychopharmacology, 2012; 37(4): 996-1004 doi: 10.1038/npp.2011.283 PMID: 22089316
- Treatment With Acamprosate in Patients With Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders and Comorbid Alcohol Dependence Ralevski E, O’Brien E, Jane JS, Dwan R, Dean E, Edens E, Arnaout B, Keegan K, Drew S, Petrakis I.Treatment With Acamprosate in Patients With Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorders and Comorbid Alcohol Dependence. Journal of Dual Diagnosis 2011; 7:64-73.
- Ralevski E, O’Brien E, Jane SJ, Dean E, Dwan R, Petrakis I. Effects of acamprosate on cognition in a treatment study of patients with schizophrenia and schizophrenia spectrum disorder and comorbid alcohol dependence. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 2011; 199 (7): 499-505.
- Ralevski E, Perrino A, Acampora G, Koretski J, Limoncelli D, Petrakis I. Analgesic effects of ethanol are influenced by family history of alcoholism and personality traits. Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research. 2010; 34(8):1433-41