Eda Cengiz MD, MHS, FAAP
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics (Endocrinology)
Pharmacokinetics & pharmacodynamics of insulin therapy; Artificial pancreas project; Prevention of T1DM and its complications; Building a national diabetes database, interactive portal; Pediatric obesity
- Artificial pancreas project
- PKPD of insulin therapy
- Pediatric Diabetes Consortium
- Glucose sensor studies
- Effect of the Human Recombinant Hyaluronidase (rHuPH20) on the
Pharmacokinetic & Pharmacodynamic (PK/PD) Properties of Lispro and
Aspart Insulin using the Euglycemic Clamp and on Meal-related Glucose
Excursions during Open- and Closed-loop Insulin Delivery.
- Pharmacokinetics & pharmacodynamics of insulin therapy;
- Artificial Pancreas Project (APP);
- Preservation of beta cells for children with new onset type 1 diabetes;
- Pediatric Diabetes Consortium (PDC) project: building a database to monitor diabetes management and complications;
- Integrating technology with diabetes care: use of new high-tech devices and methods to improve insulin delivery and function;
- Detecting early cardiovascular disease markers for children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes.
Extensive Research Description
- Closed loop insulin delivery system
- Clamp studies to demonstrate pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of insulin
- Detecting early cardiovascular disease markers for children with type 1 diabetes including peripheral arterial tonometry
- Pediatric Diabetes Consortium:utilizing a database registry to assess treatment approaches for children and youth with new-onset type 1 diabetes
- Anti -CD3 treatment for preservation of beta cells in children with new onset type 1 diabetes
- Putting Brakes on Insulin Pump Infusion to Prevent Hypoglycemia. Eda Cengiz. Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, Volume 5, Issue 5, September 2011.
- Teplizumab for treatment of type 1 diabetes (Protégé study): 1-year results from a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Protege Trial Collaborator- Eda Cengiz. Lancet. 2011 Aug 6;378(9790):487-97. Epub 2011 Jun 28.
- The bridge to insulin pump therapy: a bid regimen with NPH and detemir insulin during initial treatment of youth with type 1 diabetes (T1D). Eda Cengiz, Jennifer L. Sherr, Ayca Erkin-Cakmak, Stuart A. Weinzimer, Erin N. Burke, Kristin A. Sikes , Andrea A. Urban, William V. Tamborlane. Endocrine Practice 2011; May 6:1-17 (Epub ahead of print).
- New generation diabetes management: glucose sensor augmented insulin pump therapy. Eda Cengiz, Jennifer L. Sherr, Stuart A. Weinzimer, William V. Tamborlane. Expert Review of Medical Devices, 2011 Jul;8(4):449-58.
- Pediatric Diabetes Consortium Work Group, Eda Cengiz. The pediatric diabetes consortium: improving care of children with type 1 diabetes through collaborative research. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics 2010 Sep;12(9):685-8.
- Insulin & Diabetes Mellitus. Tania S. Burgert, Eda Cengiz, William V. Tamborlane.Neonatal & Pediatric Pharmacology 4th Edition, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2010; Chapter 52, 773-778.
- A Tale of Two Compartments: Interstitial vs. Blood Glucose Monitoring.
Eda Cengiz, William V Tamborlane Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics 2009 Jun;11 Suppl 1:S11-6..
- Is an Automatic Pump Suspension Feature Safe for Children with Type 1 Diabetes?An Exploratory Analysis with a Closed-Loop System. Eda Cengiz, Karena L Swan, William V Tamborlane, Garry M Steil, Amy T Steffen, Stuart A Weinzimer Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics 11:207-210, 2009
- From pumps to prevention: recent advances in the treatment of type 1 diabetes Jennifer Sherr, MD, Eda Cengiz, MD, and William V. Tamborlane, MD Drug Discov Today. 2009 Oct;14(19-20):973-81. Epub 2009 Jul 4. Review.
- Recent advances in the treatment of type 1 diabetes in children. Karena L Swan, Eda Cengiz, William V Tamborlane Annals of Pediatrics 68:1-4, 2008