Douglas Shenson MD, MPH, MS, MA
Associate Clinical Professor of Epidemiology (Chronic Diseases)
Community-based Models for Increasing the Population-wide Delivery of
Clinical Preventive Services; Development and Tracking of a Composite
Measure for the Delivery of Routine Clinical Preventive Services using
the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System; and Analysis of the
Role of the Medical Checkup in Reaching Population-wide Targets for
Preventive Service Delivery.
Dr. Shenson is Associate Clinical Professor, Yale School of Medicine, and Associate Director, Clinical Preventive Services, at the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center. Dr. Shenson also directs Sickness Prevention Achieved through Regional Collaboration (SPARC), a nonprofit agency dedicated to expanding thepopulation-wide use of disease prevention services. As part of his workat SPARC, Dr. Shenson leads the Vote & Vax program, which is developing and testing anational strategy to provide adult and child vaccinations at or near polling places on Election Day.Dr. Shenson is also working on several research projects funded by the Centers forDisease Control and Prevention (CDC) related to the provision ofvaccinations and cancer screening to older Americans. He is a co-founderof the medical humanitarian organization, Doctors of the World USA (now HealthRight International), andfounder of the Human Rights Clinic at Montefiore Medical Center, thefirst clinic in New York City to attend exclusively to thedocumentation and service needs of survivors of torture.
- Krist AH, Shenson D, Woolf SH, Bradley C, Liaw WR, Rothemich SF, Slonim A Benson W, Anderson LA. Clinical and Community Delivery Systems for Preventive Care: An Integration Framework. Am J Prev Med. 2013. 45(4):508-16.
- Shenson D, Adams M, Bolen J, Wooten K, Clough J, Giles WH, Anderson L. Developing an Integrated Strategy to Reduce Ethnic and Racial Disparities in the Delivery of Clinical Preventive Services for Older Americans. Am J Public Health. 2012 Aug;102(8):e44-e50. Epub 2012 Jun 14.
- Shenson D, Anderson L, Slonim A, Benson W. Vaccinations and preventive screening services for older adults: opportunities and challenges in the USA. Perspectives in Public Health. 2012;132(4):165-70.
- Shenson D, Adams M, Bolen J, Anderson L. Routine checkups don't ensure that seniors get preventive services.Journal of Family Practice.2011;60(1):E1-E10. Available at: http://stg.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=9266&issue=January_2011&UID=.
- Shenson, D., Benson, B., and Harris, A. Expanding the Delivery of Preventive Services through Community Collaboration: The SPARC Model. Preventing Chronic Disease, Preventing Chronic Disease. January 2008;5(1). Available at : http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2008/jan/07_0139.htm.
- Shenson, D. Putting Prevention in Its Place: The Shift from Clinic to Community. Health Affairs 2006. 25(4): 1012-15.
- Shenson, D., Cassarino, L., DiMartino, D., Marantz, P., Bolen, J., Good, B., and Alderman, M. Improving Access to Mammograms through Community-Based Influenza Clinics: A Quasi-Experimental Study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2001. 20(2): 97-102.