Humanities; Diseases; Anthropology, Education, Sociology and Social Phenomena; Health Care
Dr. Shenson is Associate Clinical Professor, Yale School of Medicine, and Associate Director, Clinical Preventive Services, at the Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center. Dr. Shenson also directs Sickness Prevention Achieved through Regional Collaboration (SPARC), a nonprofit agency dedicated to expanding thepopulation-wide use of disease prevention services. As part of his workat SPARC, Dr. Shenson leads the Vote & Vax program, which is developing and testing anational strategy to provide adult and child vaccinations at or near polling places on Election Day.Dr. Shenson is also working on several research projects funded by the Centers forDisease Control and Prevention (CDC) related to the provision ofvaccinations and cancer screening to older Americans. He is a co-founderof the medical humanitarian organization, Doctors of the World USA (now HealthRight International), and founder of the Human Rights Clinic at Montefiore Medical Center, the first clinic in New York City to attend exclusively to thedocumentation and service needs of survivors of torture.
Extensive Research Description
Community-based Models for Increasing the Population-wide Delivery of Clinical Preventive Services; Development and Tracking of a Composite Measure for the Delivery of Routine Clinical Preventive Services using the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System; and Analysis of the Role of the Medical Checkup in Reaching Population-wide Targets for Preventive Service Delivery.
- Shenson D, Moore RT, Benson W, Anderson L. Polling places, pharmacies, and public health: Vote & Vax 2012. Am J Public Health. 2015. e-View Ahead of Print. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2015.302628
- Krist AH, Shenson D, Woolf SH, Bradley C, Liaw WR, Rothemich SF, Slonim A Benson W, Anderson LA. Clinical and Community Delivery Systems for Preventive Care: An Integration Framework. Am J Prev Med. 2013. 45(4):508-16.
- Shenson D, Adams M, Bolen J, Wooten K, Clough J, Giles WH, Anderson L. Developing an Integrated Strategy to Reduce Ethnic and Racial Disparities in the Delivery of Clinical Preventive Services for Older Americans. Am J Public Health. 2012 Aug;102(8):e44-e
- Shenson D, Anderson L, Slonim A, Benson W. Vaccinations and preventive screening services for older adults: opportunities and challenges in the USA. Perspectives in Public Health. 2012;132(4):165-70.
- Shenson D, Adams M, Bolen J, Anderson L. Routine checkups don't ensure that seniors get preventive services.Journal of Family Practice.2011;60(1):E1-E10. Available at: http://stg.jfponline.com/Pages.asp?AID=9266&issue=January_2011&UID=.
- Shenson, D., Benson, B., and Harris, A. Expanding the Delivery of Preventive Services through Community Collaboration: The SPARC Model. Preventing Chronic Disease, Preventing Chronic Disease. January 2008;5(1). Available at : http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues
- Shenson, D. Putting Prevention in Its Place: The Shift from Clinic to Community. Health Affairs 2006. 25(4): 1012-15.