Action Potentials; Axons; Dendrites; Nervous System; Neurobiology; Neurons; Physiology; Excitatory Postsynaptic Potentials; Dendritic Spines; Inhibitory Postsynaptic Potentials
A central question in neurobiology is how the interaction between individual neurons produces behavior and behavioral modifications. This task depends critically on how exactly are signals integrated by individual nerve cells functioning as complex operational units. Regional electrical properties of branching neuronal processes which determine the input-output function of any neuron are extraordinarily complex, dynamic, and, in the general case, impossible to predict in the absence of detailed measurements. To obtain such a measurement one would, ideally, like to be able to monitor, at multiple sites, subthreshold events as they travel from the sites of origin (synaptic contacts) and summate at particular locations to influence action potential initiation (the spiking output of a neuron). We developed a technique to carry out this type of measurement at sub-micrometer and sub-millisecond resolution, using high-resolution multisite recording of membrane potential changes with intracellular voltage-sensitive dyes.
With this approach we now investigate: (a) The non-linear and spatially inhomogeneous interactions of dendritic membrane potential signals that represent the first step in the induction of activity-dependent long-term synaptic plasticity (LTP); (b) The input–output transform performed by mitral cells, the principal projection neurons of the olfactory bulb; (c) Electrical role of individual dendritic spines; (d) Action potential initiation and propagation in the axonal arbor of cerebellar Purkinje cells and cortical pyramidal neurons.
Specialized Terms: Physiology of axons, dendrites and dendritic spines; Input-output function of individual nerve cells; Voltage sensitive dyes; Optical recording methods
Extensive Research Description
FHF-independent conduction of action potentials along the leak-resistant cerebellar granule cell axon.
Nat Commun. 7:12895 (2016) PMID: 27666389
Electrical behaviour of dendritic spines as revealed by voltage imaging.
Popovic MA, Carnevale N, Rozsa B, Zecevic D. (2015) Nat Commun. 6:8436
Imaging with organic indicators and high-speed charge-coupled device cameras in neurons: some applications where these classic techniques have advantages.
Ross WN, Miyazaki K, Popovic MA, Zecevic D. (2015) Neurophotonics. 2:021005
Combining Membrane Potential Imaging with Other Optical Techniques.
Jaafari N, Vogt KE, Saggau P, Leslie LM, Zecevic D, Canepari M. (2015). Adv Exp Med Biol. 859:103-25
Cortical dendritic spine heads are not electrically isolated by the spine neck from membrane potential signals in parent dendrites.
Popovic M, Gao X, Carnevale N, Zecevic D. (2014). Cerebral Cortex, 24(2): 385-95.
Voltage-sensitive dye recording from axons, dendrites and dendritic spines of individual neurons in brain slices
Popovic M, Gao X, Zecevic D (2012). JoVE (69), e4261.
Somatic membrane potential and Kv1 channels control spike repolarization in cortical axon collaterals and presynaptic boutons.
Foust A.J., Y. Yu, M, Popovic, D. Zecevic, D.A. McCormick. (2011) J. Neurosci. 31:15490-8.
Voltage-imaging from axons and collaterals of cortical pyramidal neurons in brain slices.
Popovic M, Foust AJ, McCormick DA and Zecevic D (2011). J Physiol. 589:4167-87.
Spike initiation and branch-point propagation fidelity elucidated in Purkinje neurons with voltage sensitive dye recording.
Foust AJ, Popovic M, Zecevic D, McCormick DA (2010) J. Neurosci. 30: 6891-6902.
Imaging Inhibitory Synaptic Potentials Using Voltage Sensitive Dyes.
Marco Canepari, Silvia Willadt, Dejan Zecevic and Kaspar E Vogt (2010) Biophysical J. 98: 2032-2040.
Rapid time-course of action potentials in spines and remote dendrites of mouse visual cortical neurons.
Holthoff K, Zecevic D, Konnerth A (2010) J Physiol (jphysiol.2009.184960).
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Tanese D, Weng JY, Zampini V, De Sars V, Canepari M, Rozsa B, Emiliani V, Zecevic D: Imaging membrane potential changes from dendritic spines using computer-generated holography. Neurophotonics. 2017 Jul; 2017 May 12. PMID: 28523281
- Dover K, Marra C, Solinas S, Popovic M, Subramaniyam S, Zecevic D, D'Angelo E, Goldfarb M: FHF-independent conduction of action potentials along the leak-resistant cerebellar granule cell axon. Nat Commun. 2016 Sep 26; 2016 Sep 26. PMID: 27666389
- Popovic MA, Carnevale N, Rozsa B, Zecevic D: Electrical behaviour of dendritic spines as revealed by voltage imaging. Nat Commun. 2015 Oct 5; 2015 Oct 5. PMID: 26436431
- Ross WN, Miyazaki K, Popovic MA, Zecevic D: Imaging with organic indicators and high-speed charge-coupled device cameras in neurons: some applications where these classic techniques have advantages. Neurophotonics. 2015 Apr; 2014 Dec 22. PMID: 26157996
- Salzberg BM, Zecevic D: Pioneers in Neurophotonics: Special Section Honoring Professor Lawrence B. Cohen. Neurophotonics. 2015 Apr. PMID: 26157992
- Popovic M, Vogt K, Holthoff K, Konnerth A, Salzberg BM, Grinvald A, Antic SD, Canepari M, Zecevic D: Imaging Submillisecond Membrane Potential Changes from Individual Regions of Single Axons, Dendrites and Spines. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015. PMID: 26238049
- Popovic M, Gao X, Zecevic D: Voltage-sensitive dye recording from axons, dendrites and dendritic spines of individual neurons in brain slices. J Vis Exp. 2012 Nov 29; 2012 Nov 29. PMID: 23222505
- Foust AJ, Yu Y, Popovic M, Zecevic D, McCormick DA: Somatic membrane potential and Kv1 channels control spike repolarization in cortical axon collaterals and presynaptic boutons. J Neurosci. 2011 Oct 26. PMID: 22031895
- Popovic MA, Foust AJ, McCormick DA, Zecevic D: The spatio-temporal characteristics of action potential initiation in layer 5 pyramidal neurons: a voltage imaging study. J Physiol. 2011 Sep 1; 2011 Jun 13. PMID: 21669974
- Foust A, Popovic M, Zecevic D, McCormick DA: Action potentials initiate in the axon initial segment and propagate through axon collaterals reliably in cerebellar Purkinje neurons. J Neurosci. 2010 May 19. PMID: 20484631
- Homma R, Baker BJ, Jin L, Garaschuk O, Konnerth A, Cohen LB, Zecevic D: Wide-field and two-photon imaging of brain activity with voltage- and calcium-sensitive dyes. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009 Sep 12. PMID: 19651647
- Homma R, Baker BJ, Jin L, Garaschuk O, Konnerth A, Cohen LB, Bleau CX, Canepari M, Djurisic M, Zecevic D: Wide-field and two-photon imaging of brain activity with voltage- and calcium-sensitive dyes. Methods Mol Biol. 2009. PMID: 18839087
- Djurisic M, Popovic M, Carnevale N, Zecevic D: Functional structure of the mitral cell dendritic tuft in the rat olfactory bulb. J Neurosci. 2008 Apr 9. PMID: 18400905
- Canepari M, Djurisic M, Zecevic D: Dendritic signals from rat hippocampal CA1 pyramidal neurons during coincident pre- and post-synaptic activity: a combined voltage- and calcium-imaging study. J Physiol. 2007 Apr 15; 2007 Feb 1. PMID: 17272348
- Djurisić M, Zecević D: Imaging of spiking and subthreshold activity of mitral cells with voltage-sensitive dyes. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2005 Jun. PMID: 16154924
- Baker BJ, Kosmidis EK, Vucinic D, Falk CX, Cohen LB, Djurisic M, Zecevic D: Imaging brain activity with voltage- and calcium-sensitive dyes. Cell Mol Neurobiol. 2005 Mar. PMID: 16050036
- Djurisic M, Antic S, Chen WR, Zecevic D: Voltage imaging from dendrites of mitral cells: EPSP attenuation and spike trigger zones. J Neurosci. 2004 Jul 28. PMID: 15282273
- Zecevic D, Djurisic M, Cohen LB, Antic S, Wachowiak M, Falk CX, Zochowski MR: Imaging nervous system activity with voltage-sensitive dyes. Curr Protoc Neurosci. 2003 Aug. PMID: 18428582
- Djurisic M, Zochowski M, Wachowiak M, Falk CX, Cohen LB, Zecevic D: Optical monitoring of neural activity using voltage-sensitive dyes. Methods Enzymol. 2003. PMID: 12624923