Health Services; Medical Informatics; Medical Informatics Applications; Preventive Medicine; Public Health; Informatics
Public Health Interests
Health Services Research
Pain Research, Informatics, Multimorbidities, and Education (PRIME) Center
Much of my work has focused on building informatics infrastructure for clinical research, working closely with many clinical research groups, and performing research focused on issues such as the management of clinical vocabularies used in clinical research databases and implementation of computerized clinical practice guidelines. Another focus is informatics research working on the development and the application and use of open-source informatics tools for information retrieval and information extraction from the VA’s electronic health record free-text data.
Extensive Research Description
I have worked for years building informatics infrastructure for clinical research, working closely with many clinical research groups, and performing research focused on issues such as the management of clinical vocabularies used in clinical research databases and implementation of computerized clinical practice guidelines. I am a co-copyright holder and have been extensively involved with the development of TrialDB an open-source, web-based clinical research data management system that is used by multiple healthcare institutions and universities in the US and internationally. Additionally I currently provide mentoring and training for both Yale national library of medicine informatics fellows and pre-doctoral students, and VA special informatics fellows. Research projects with fellows have included broad informatics domains including: clinical guidelines, clinical research databases, natural language processing, the design and application of informatics tools, personal health records, handheld computing, evaluation of informatics projects, and the design and use of electronic medical record data for quality, health services research and clinical decision support. Informatics is an interdisciplinary specialty and my past mentees have included emergency medicine, primary care and other types of clinicians, nurses and computer scientists. I also have extensive experience in health services research and currently have funded projects that use VA Electronic health record (VistA) and administrative and Corporate Data Warehouse data.
The Yale cTAKES Extensions for Document Classification: Architecture and Application.
Garla V, Lo Re V, Dorey-Stein Z, Kidwai F, Scotch M, Womack J, Justice A, Brandt C. The Yale cTAKES Extensions for Document Classification: Architecture and Application, J Am Med Inform Assoc.
How good are the data? Feasible approach to validation of metrics of quality derived from an outpatient electronic health record.
Benin A, Fenick A,Herrin J, Vitkauskis G, Chen J, Brandt C. How good are the data? Feasible approach to validation of metrics of quality derived from an outpatient electronic health record. American Journal of Medical Quality.
Biomedical Informatics Techniques for Processing and Analyzing Web Blogs of Military Service Members
Konovalov S, Scotch M, Post L, Brandt CA, Biomedical Informatics Techniques for Processing and Analyzing Web Blogs of Military Service Members, J Med Internet Res, Vol 12, No 4 (2010), Oct-Dec, http://www.jmir.org/2010/4.
A Comparison of Two Approaches to Text Processing: Facilitating Chart Reviews of Radiology Reports in electronic Medical Records.
Womack J, Scotch M, Gibert C, Chapman W, Yin M, Justice AC, Brandt CA. A Comparison of Two Approaches to Text Processing: Facilitating Chart Reviews of Radiology Reports in electronic Medical Records. Perspective in Health Information Management, Fall 2010, http://perspectives.ahima.org/.
The burden of illness in the first year home: do male and female VA users differ in health conditions and healthcare utilization.
Haskell SG, Krebs E, Goulet J, Mattocks K, Skanderson M, Justice A, Brandt CA. The burden of illness in the first year home: do male and female VA users differ in health conditions and healthcare utilization. Women’s Health Issues. 2010 Oct 5;12(4):e45.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Hauser RG, Campbell SM, Brandt CA, Wang S: Cost-Effectiveness Study of Criteria for Screening Cerebrospinal Fluid To Determine the Need for Herpes Simplex Virus PCR Testing. J Clin Microbiol. 2017 May; 2017 Mar 15. PMID: 28298450
- Altalib HH, Elzamzamy K, Pugh MJ, Gonzalez JB, Cheung KH, Fenton BT, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, LaFrance WC: Reply to "Psychogenic nonepileptic seizures: We know what they are not. But do we know what they are?" Epilepsy Behav. 2017 Apr 6; 2017 Apr 6. PMID: 28392049
- Freiberg MS, Chang CH, Skanderson M, Patterson OV, DuVall SL, Brandt CA, So-Armah KA, Vasan RS, Oursler KA, Gottdiener J, Gottlieb S, Leaf D, Rodriguez-Barradas M, Tracy RP, Gibert CL, Rimland D, Bedimo RJ, Brown ST, Goetz MB, Warner A, Crothers K, Tindle HA, Alcorn C, Bachmann JM, Justice AC, Butt AA: Association Between HIV Infection and the Risk of Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction and Preserved Ejection Fraction in the Antiretroviral Therapy Era: Results From the Veterans Aging Cohort Study. JAMA Cardiol. 2017 Apr 5; 2017 Apr 5. PMID: 28384660
- Driscoll MA, Higgins D, Shamaskin-Garroway A, Burger A, Buta E, Goulet JL, Heapy A, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, Haskell SG: Examining Gender as a Correlate of Self-Reported Pain Treatment Use Among Recent Service Veterans with Deployment-Related Musculoskeletal Disorders. Pain Med. 2017 Mar 31; 2017 Mar 31. PMID: 28379576
- Higgins DM, Fenton BT, Driscoll MA, Heapy AA, Kerns RD, Bair MJ, Carroll C, Brennan PL, Burgess DJ, Piette JD, Haskell SG, Brandt CA, Goulet JL: Gender Differences in Demographic and Clinical Correlates among Veterans with Musculoskeletal Disorders. Womens Health Issues. 2017 Mar 18; 2017 Mar 18. PMID: 28325585
- Goulet JL, Buta E, Bathulapalli H, Gueorguieva R, Brandt CA: Statistical Models for the Analysis of Zero-Inflated Pain Intensity Numeric Rating Scale Data. J Pain. 2017 Mar; 2016 Dec 2. PMID: 27919777
- Hauser RG, Brandt CA, Martinello RA: Criteria to Screen Molecular Tests for the Diagnosis of Herpes Simplex Virus in the Central Nervous System have no Propensity to Harm. J Pathol Inform. 2017; 2017 Feb 28. PMID: 28400993
- Altalib HH, Elzamzamy K, Pugh MJ, Gonzalez JB, Cheung KH, Fenton BT, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, LaFrance WC Jr: Communicating diagnostic certainty of psychogenic nonepileptic seizures - a national study of provider documentation. Epilepsy Behav. 2016 Nov; 2016 Oct 7. PMID: 27723497
- Hausmann LR, Brandt CA, Carroll CM, Fenton BT, Ibrahim SA, Becker WC, Burgess DJ, Wandner LD, Bair MJ, Goulet JL: Racial and Ethnic Differences in Total Knee Arthroplasty in the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System (2001 - 2013). Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2016 Oct 27; 2016 Oct 27. PMID: 27788302
- Wang KH, Goulet JL, Carroll CM, Skanderson M, Fodeh S, Erdos J, Womack JA, Abel EA, Bathulapalli H, Justice AC, Nunez-Smith M, Brandt CA: Estimating healthcare mobility in the Veterans Affairs Healthcare System. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016 Oct 21; 2016 Oct 21. PMID: 27769221
- Bastian LA, Driscoll MA, Heapy AA, Becker WC, Goulet JL, Kerns RD, DeRycke EC, Perez E, Lynch SM, Mattocks K, Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Brandt CA, Skanderson M, Bathulapalli H, Haskell SG: Cigarette Smoking Status and Receipt of an Opioid Prescription Among Veterans of Recent Wars. Pain Med. 2016 Sep 21; 2016 Sep 21. PMID: 27659441
- Jovin IS, Ebisu KA, Oprea AD, Brandt CA, Natale D, Finta LA, Dziura J, Wackers FJ: The influence of clopidogrel on ischemia diagnosed by myocardial perfusion stress testing. J Nucl Cardiol. 2016 Aug; 2015 Sep 4. PMID: 26338428
- Lisi AJ, Brandt CA: Trends in the Use and Characteristics of Chiropractic Services in the Department of Veterans Affairs. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2016 Jun. PMID: 27288324
- Bates J, Fodeh SJ, Brandt CA, Womack JA: Classification of radiology reports for falls in an HIV study cohort. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2016 Apr; 2015 Nov 13. PMID: 26567329
- Kroll-Desrosiers AR, Skanderson M, Bastian LA, Brandt CA, Haskell S, Kerns RD, Mattocks KM: Receipt of Prescription Opioids in a National Sample of Pregnant Veterans Receiving Veterans Health Administration Care. Womens Health Issues. 2016 Mar-Apr; 2015 Nov 6. PMID: 26549242
- Schonberger RB, Dai F, Brandt CA, Burg MM: Balancing Model Performance and Simplicity to Predict Postoperative Primary Care Blood Pressure Elevation. Anesth Analg. 2015 Sep. PMID: 26214552
- Volkman JE, DeRycke EC, Driscoll MA, Becker WC, Brandt CA, Mattocks KM, Haskell SG, Bathulapalli H, Goulet JL, Bastian LA: Smoking Status and Pain Intensity Among OEF/OIF/OND Veterans. Pain Med. 2015 Sep; 2015 Apr 27. PMID: 25917639
- Melnick ER, Lopez K, Hess EP, Abujarad F, Brandt CA, Shiffman RN, Post LA: Back to the Bedside: Developing a Bedside Aid for Concussion and Brain Injury Decisions in the Emergency Department. EGEMS (Wash DC). 2015; 2015 Jun 29. PMID: 26290885
- Driscoll MA, Higgins DM, Seng EK, Buta E, Goulet JL, Heapy AA, Kerns RD, Brandt CA, Haskell SG: Trauma, social support, family conflict, and chronic pain in recent service veterans: does gender matter? Pain Med. 2015 Jun; 2015 Apr 30. PMID: 25930005
- Goulet JL, Martinello RA, Bathulapalli H, Higgins D, Driscoll MA, Brandt CA, Womack JA: STI diagnosis and HIV testing among OEF/OIF/OND veterans. Med Care. 2014 Dec. PMID: 25334054
- Lisi AJ, Burgo-Black AL, Kawecki T, Brandt CA, Goulet JL: Use of Department of Veterans Affairs administrative data to identify veterans with acute low back pain: a pilot study. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2014 Jun 15. PMID: 24732845
- Womack JA, Brandt CA, Justice AC: Women, Aging, and HIV: Clinical Issues and Management Strategies. J Nurse Pract. 2014 Jun 1. PMID: 24932161
- Seng EK, Driscoll MA, Brandt CA, Bathulapalli H, Goulet J, Silliker N, Kerns RD, Haskell SG: Prescription headache medication in OEF/OIF veterans: results from the Women Veterans Cohort Study. Headache. 2013 Sep; 2013 Jun 28. PMID: 23808756
- Womack JA, Scotch M, Leung SN, Skanderson M, Bathulapalli H, Haskell SG, Brandt CA: Use of structured and unstructured data to identify contraceptive use in women veterans. Perspect Health Inf Manag. 2013; 2013 Jul 1. PMID: 23861675
- Womack JA, Goulet JL, Gibert C, Brandt CA, Skanderson M, Gulanski B, Rimland D, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Tate J, Yin MT, Justice AC, Veterans Aging Cohort Study Project Team.: Physiologic frailty and fragility fracture in HIV-infected male veterans. Clin Infect Dis. 2013 May; 2013 Feb 1. PMID: 23378285
- Jovin IS, Ebisu K, Liu YH, Finta LA, Oprea AD, Brandt CA, Dziura J, Wackers FJ: Left ventricular ejection fraction and left ventricular end-diastolic volume in patients with diastolic dysfunction. Congest Heart Fail. 2013 May-Jun; 2012 Dec 12. PMID: 23241105
- Allore HG, Ning Y, Brandt CA, Goulet JL: Accounting for the Hierarchical Structure in Veterans Health Administration Data: Differences in Healthcare Utilization between Men and Women Veterans. Int J Stat Med Res. 2013. PMID: 24910720
- Jovin IS, Duggal M, Ebisu K, Paek H, Oprea AD, Tranquilli M, Rizzo J, Memet R, Feldman M, Dziura J, Brandt CA, Elefteriades JA: Comparison of the effect on long-term outcomes in patients with thoracic aortic aneurysms of taking versus not taking a statin drug. Am J Cardiol. 2012 Apr 1; 2012 Jan 3. PMID: 22221941
- Blackstock OJ, Haskell SG, Brandt CA, Desai RA: Gender and the use of Veterans Health Administration homeless services programs among Iraq/Afghanistan veterans. Med Care. 2012 Apr. PMID: 22422055
- Duggal M, Goulet JL, Womack J, Gordon K, Mattocks K, Haskell SG, Justice AC, Brandt CA: Comparison of outpatient health care utilization among returning women and men veterans from Afghanistan and Iraq. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010 Jun 22; 2010 Jun 22. PMID: 20565985
- LaCoursiere SP, Duggal M, Brandt CA, Knobf MT, McCorkle R: Breast cancer Internet information and support (BCIIS): How are older persons different? AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2007 Oct 11; 2007 Oct 11. PMID: 18694117
- Brandt CA, Argraves S, Money R, Ananth G, Trocky NM, Nadkarni PM: Informatics tools to improve clinical research study implementation. Contemp Clin Trials. 2006 Apr; 2006 Jan 4. PMID: 16388990
- Brandt CA, Gadagkar R, Rodriguez C, Nadkarni PM: Managing complex change in clinical study metadata. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2004 Sep-Oct; 2004 Jun 7. PMID: 15187070
- Shifman MA, Srivastava R, Brandt CA, Li TR, White K, Miller PL: Exploring the portability of informatics capabilities from a clinical application to a bioscience application. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2004 Jul-Aug; 2004 Apr 2. PMID: 15064294
- Brandt CA, Morse R, Matthews K, Sun K, Deshpande AM, Gadagkar R, Cohen DB, Miller PL, Nadkarni PM: Metadata-driven creation of data marts from an EAV-modeled clinical research database. Int J Med Inform. 2002 Nov 12. PMID: 12414020