Biochemistry; Biophysics; Dermatitis, Atopic; Dermatology; Epidermis; Molecular Biology; Skin; Ichthyosis Vulgaris; Crystallography, X-Ray; Computational Biology; Proteomics
Dermatology: Middlebury Dermatology
Thomas Steitz Lab
Dr. Bunick uses a technique called x-ray crystallography to determine the high resolution, three-dimensional structures of proteins important to both normal and diseased skin. Knowing the structure of various skin proteins enables a better understand of how a protein functions in normal and diseased skin states. Ultimately, it may lead to the development of novel therapies.
Specialized Terms: structural biology of skin proteins; x-ray crystallography; epidermal structure and function; structure-based drug design
Extensive Research Description
Dr. Bunick has over 20 years of research experience in x-ray crystallography of proteins. He currently is the only American Board of Dermatology certified dermatologist who performs primary crystallography research. His work is determining the 3D structures of proteins important for skin barrier formation. For example, he has determined the crystal structure of the N-terminus of human profilaggrin, an important protein for maintaining a normal skin barrier. Problems with profilaggrin can lead to the human skin diseases atopic dermatitis and ichthyosis vulgaris. The structural biology research in Dr. Bunick's laboratory offers biochemical understanding of how the human skin barrier forms and functions, and offers the ability to perform structure-based therapeutic design.
- Bunick CG, Milstone LM. (2017) J Invest Dermatol. Jan;137(1):142-150. doi: 10.1016/j.jid.2016.08.018. Epub 2016 Sep 3.
- Bunick CG, Presland RB, Lawrence OT, Pearton DJ, Milstone LM, Steitz TA. (2015) J Invest Dermatol. 2015 Mar 11. doi: 10.1038/jid.2015.102. PMID: 25760235
- Yélamos O, Merkel EA, Sholl LM, Zhang B, Amin SM, Lee CY, Guitart GE, Yang J, Wenzel AT, Bunick CG, Yazdan P, Choi J, Gerami P. (2016) J Invest Dermatol. 2016 Sep;136(9):1858-65. doi: 10.1016/j.jid.2016.05.094.
- Choi J, Goh G, Walradt T, Hong BS, Bunick CG, Chen K, Bjornson RD, Maman Y, Wang T, Tordoff J, Carlson K, Overton JD, Liu KJ, Lewis JM, Devine L, Barbarotta L, Foss FM, Subtil A, Vonderheid EC, Edelson RL, Schatz DG, Boggon TJ, Girardi M, Lifton RP. (2015) Genomic landscape of cutaneous T cell lymphoma. Nature Genetics, 47(9):1011-9, doi:10.1038/ng.3356.
- Bunick CG. (2014) J Invest Dermatol. Dec;134(12):2853-5.
- Ibrahim O, Bunick CG, Srivastava B, Lazova R, Ko CJ, Watsky KL. (2014) J Am Acad Dermatol. Nov;71(5):e222-5.
- Bunick CG, Ibrahim O, King BA. (2014) Int J Dermatol, Jul;53(7):e353-5.
- Bunick, CG, Miller, MR, Fuller, BE, Fanning, E, Chazin, WJ. (2006) Biochemistry 45(50), 14965-79.
- Bunick, CG, Nelson, MR, Mangahas, S, Hunter, MJ, Sheehan, JH, Mizoue, LS, Bunick, GJ, Chazin, WJ. (2004) J Am Chem Soc, 126(19), 5990-5998.