Adolescent Behavior; Child Abuse; Child Development; Child Psychiatry; Child Welfare; Evaluation Studies
Public Health Interests
Child Development, Policies, Programs; Child Mental Health; Epidemiology Methods; Health Services Research; Psychosocial risk factors; Risky Behaviors
My research interests focus primarily on risk and protective processes impacting outcomes for children involved with the child welfare system, and the evaluation of family- and community-based intervention strategies to promote safety, permanency, and wellbeing outcomes for youth in the child welfare system. As co-principle investigator of the Rhode Island Data Analytic Center, a collaboration with the Rhode Island Department of Children, Youth, and Families, I am actively involved in a range of research and evaluation initiatives to understand factors that influence child and family wellbeing following incidents of child abuse or neglect, foster care placement, or involvement in other child serving systems (e.g., behavioral health or juvenile justice). These studies are applied in nature and serve to inform system efforts to improve child outcomes through practice and policy responses. I am principle investigator of a multi-year study, funded by the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) and the Administration of Children and Families (ACF), that examines the effects of community-based wraparound services for families involved with child protective services. In addition, I serve as lead evaluator on multiple ACF-funded demonstration projects to enhance child welfare practice, particularly with respect to the effects of trauma on children.These demonstration projects incorporate a multi-deminsional approach to enhance the child welfare system capacity to identify and more effectively respond to the needs of children, youth, and families impacted by trauma in order to promote healthy wellbeing and reduce the need for longterm system involvement.
A second area of work focuses on the development of substance use and other risky behaviors (e.g., antisocial behavior, risky sexual behavior) among adolescents. This work includes secondary analysis of large-scale epidemiological datasets to investigate both the precursors to riskier developmental trajectories for youth, as well as subsequent outcomes associated with some of these patterns of behavior in young adulthood. I have also served as a co-investigator in two NIDA-funded studies addressing use of tobacco and nicotine products in adolescents and young adults.
Finally, I am broadly interested in the application of advanced multivariate data analytic methods to examine risk and protective processes associated with developmental processes or to examine community-based prevention and intervention effects. I am a scientific advisor to the Yale Postdoctoral Training Program for Substance Abuse Prevention Research; I teach the data analytic and research methods seminar for the training program and am a mentor and advisor to postdoctoral fellows within that program.
Specialized Terms: Adolescent Risk Behavior; Alcohol and Drug Abuse; Child Abuse and Neglect; Child Development; Child Welfare; Clinical Psychology; Community Studies; Consulting Services; Quantitative Methods
Connell, C.M., Vanderploeg, J.J., Flaspohler, P., Katz, K.H., Saunders, L., & Tebes, J.K. Changes in placement among children in foster care: A longitudinal study of child, family, and case influences
Connell, C.M., Vanderploeg, J.J., Flaspohler, P., Katz, K.H., Saunders, L., & Tebes, J.K. Changes in placement among children in foster care: A longitudinal study of child, family, and case influences. Social Service Review, 80, 398-418, 2006.
- Leaving foster care: The influence of child and case characteristics on foster care exit rates Connell, C.M., Katz, K.H., Saunders, L., & Tebes, J.K. Leaving foster care: The influence of child and case characteristics on foster care exit rates. Children & Youth Services Review, 28, 780-798, 2006.
Connell, C.M., Bergeron, N., Katz, K.H., Saunders, L., & Tebes, J.K. Re-referral to Child Protective Services: The influence of child, family, and case characteristics on risk status
Connell, C.M., Bergeron, N., Katz, K.H., Saunders, L., & Tebes, J.K. Re-referral to Child Protective Services: The influence of child, family, and case characteristics on risk status. Child Abuse & Neglect, 31, 573-588, 2007.
The impact of parental alcohol or drug removals on foster care placement experiences: A matched comparison group study
Vanderploeg, J.J., Connell, C.M., Caron, C., Saunders, L., Katz, K.H., & Tebes, J.K. The impact of parental alcohol or drug removals on foster care placement experiences: A matched comparison group study. Child Maltreatment, 12, 125-136, 2007.
Maltreatment following reunification: Predictors of subsequent CPS contact after children return home
Connell, C.M., Vanderploeg, J.J, Caron, C., Saunders, L., Katz, K.H., & Tebes, J.K. Maltreatment following reunification: Predictors of subsequent CPS contact after children return home. Child Abuse and Neglect, 33, 218-228, 2009.
Co-occurrence of substance use and sexual behaviors in adolescence
Connell, C.M., Gilreath, T.D., & Hansen, N. Co-occurrence of substance use and sexual behaviors in adolescence. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs, 70, 943-951, 2009.
Social-ecological influences on patterns of substance use among non-metropolitan high school students
Connell, C.M., Gilreath, T.D., Aklin, W.M., & Brex, R.A. Social-ecological influences on patterns of substance use among non-metropolitan high school students. American Journal of Community Psychology, 45, 36-48, 2010.
Risk and protective factors associated with patterns of antisocial behavior among nonmetropolitan adolescents
Connell, C.M., Cook, E.C., Aklin, W.M., Vanderploeg, J.J., & Brex, R.A. Risk and protective factors associated with patterns of antisocial behavior among nonmetropolitan adolescents. Aggressive Behavior, 37, 98-106, 2011.
- Innovative methodological approaches to community-based research: Theory and application Connell, C.M. Survival analysis in prevention and intervention programs. In L.A. Jason & D.S. Glenwick (Eds.), Innovative methodological approaches to community-based research: Theory and application. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association, 2012.
Fathering and mothering in the family system: Linking marital hostility and aggression in adopted toddlers
Stover, C.S., Connell, C.M., Leve, L.D., Neiderhaiser, J.M., Shaw, D.S., Scaramella, L.V., Conger, R. & Reiss, D. Fathering and mothering in the family system: Linking marital hostility and aggression in adopted toddlers. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 53, 401-409, 2012.
Do specific transitional patterns of antisocial behavior during adolescence increase risk for problems in young adulthood?
Cook, E.C., Connell, A.M., Pflieger, J.C., & Connell, C.M. Do specific transitional patterns of antisocial behavior during adolescence increase risk for problems in young adulthood? Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 43, 95-106, 2015.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Steeger CM, Cook EC, Connell CM: The Interactive Effects of Stressful Family Life Events and Cortisol Reactivity on Adolescent Externalizing and Internalizing Behaviors. Child Psychiatry Hum Dev. 2017 Apr. PMID: 26961703
- Vidal S, Steeger CM, Caron C, Lasher L, Connell CM: Placement and Delinquency Outcomes Among System-Involved Youth Referred to Multisystemic Therapy: A Propensity Score Matching Analysis. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2017 Mar 17; 2017 Mar 17. PMID: 28315074
- Vidal S, Prince D, Connell CM, Caron CM, Kaufman JS, Tebes JK: Maltreatment, family environment, and social risk factors: Determinants of the child welfare to juvenile justice transition among maltreated children and adolescents. Child Abuse Negl. 2017 Jan; 2016 Nov 22. PMID: 27886518
- Lang JM, Connell CM: Measuring Costs to Community-Based Agencies for Implementation of an Evidence-Based Practice. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2017 Jan. PMID: 27804099
- Kaufman JS, Connell CM, Crusto CA, Gordon DM, Sartor CE, Simon P, Strambler MJ, Sullivan TP, Ward NL, Weiss NH, Tebes JK: Reflections on a Community Psychology Setting and the Future of the Field. Am J Community Psychol. 2016 Dec; 2016 Nov 24. PMID: 27883198
- Crusto CA, Barcelona de Mendoza V, Connell CM, Sun YV, Taylor JY: The Intergenerational Impact of Genetic and Psychological Factors on Blood Pressure Study (InterGEN): Design and Methods for Recruitment and Psychological Measures. Nurs Res. 2016 Jul-Aug. PMID: 27362519
- Whitson ML, Connell CM: The Relation of Exposure to Traumatic Events and Longitudinal Mental Health Outcomes for Children Enrolled in Systems of Care: Results from a National System of Care Evaluation. Am J Community Psychol. 2016 Jun; 2016 May 25. PMID: 27222039
- Lang JM, Campbell K, Shanley P, Crusto CA, Connell CM: Building Capacity for Trauma-Informed Care in the Child Welfare System: Initial Results of a Statewide Implementation. Child Maltreat. 2016 May; 2016 Feb 28. PMID: 26928410
- Hellmuth JC, Sullivan TP, Connell CM: Profiles of Intimate Partner Violence Victimization, Substance Misuse, and Depression Among Female Caregivers Involved with Child Protective Services. J Fam Violence. 2015 Nov; 2015 Mar 19. PMID: 26617433
- Camenga DR, Cavallo DA, Kong G, Morean ME, Connell CM, Simon P, Bulmer SM, Krishnan-Sarin S: Adolescents' and Young Adults' Perceptions of Electronic Cigarettes for Smoking Cessation: A Focus Group Study. Nicotine Tob Res. 2015 Oct; 2015 Feb 2. PMID: 25646346
- Huang CY, Bory CT, Caron C, Tebes JK, Connell CM: Relationship of risk assessment to placement characteristics in a statewide child welfare population. Child Youth Serv Rev. 2014 Nov. PMID: 25838617
- Morean ME, Kong G, Camenga DR, Cavallo DA, Connell C, Krishnan-Sarin S: First drink to first drunk: age of onset and delay to intoxication are associated with adolescent alcohol use and binge drinking. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2014 Oct; 2014 Sep 24. PMID: 25257574
- Pflieger JC, Cook EC, Niccolai LM, Connell CM: Racial/ethnic differences in patterns of sexual risk behavior and rates of sexually transmitted infections among female young adults. Am J Public Health. 2013 May; 2013 Mar 14. PMID: 23488501
- Snyder FJ, Roberts YH, Crusto CA, Connell CM, Griffin A, Finley MK, Radway S, Marshall T, Kaufman JS: Exposure to traumatic events and the behavioral health of children enrolled in an early childhood system of care. J Trauma Stress. 2012 Dec. PMID: 23225035
- Kong G, Camenga D, Cavallo D, Connell CM, Pflieger JC, Krishnan-Sarin S: The role of ethnic pride and parental disapproval of smoking on smoking behaviors among minority and white adolescents in a suburban high school. Am J Addict. 2012 Sep-Oct. PMID: 22882393
- Whitson ML, Connell CM, Bernard S, Kaufman JS: An Examination of Exposure to Traumatic Events and Symptoms and Strengths for Children Served in a Behavioral Health System of Care. J Emot Behav Disord. 2012 Sep 1. PMID: 25075170
- Stover CS, Connell CM, Leve LD, Neiderhiser JM, Shaw DS, Scaramella LV, Conger R, Reiss D: Fathering and mothering in the family system: linking marital hostility and aggression in adopted toddlers. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2012 Apr; 2011 Dec 23. PMID: 22191546
- Tebes JK, Cook EC, Vanderploeg JJ, Feinn R, Chinman MJ, Shepard JK, Brabham T, Connell CM: Parental Knowledge and Substance Use among African American Adolescents: Influence of Gender and Grade Level. J Child Fam Stud. 2011 Aug 1. PMID: 24683304
- Whitson ML, Connell CM, Bernard S, Kaufman JS: The impact of youth and family risk factors on service recommendations and delivery in a school-based system of care. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2011 Apr. PMID: 20165927
- Connell CM, Cook EC, Aklin WM, Vanderploeg JJ, Brex RA: Risk and protective factors associated with patterns of antisocial behavior among nonmetropolitan adolescents. Aggress Behav. 2011 Jan-Feb. PMID: 20973088
- Thai ND, Connell CM, Tebes JK: Substance use among Asian American adolescents: Influence of race, ethnicity, and acculturation in the context of key risk and protective factors. Asian Am J Psychol. 2010 Dec. PMID: 25309680
- Connell CM, Gilreath TD, Aklin WM, Brex RA: Social-ecological influences on patterns of substance use among non-metropolitan high school students. Am J Community Psychol. 2010 Mar. PMID: 20077132
- Connell CM, Gilreath TD, Hansen NB: A multiprocess latent class analysis of the co-occurrence of substance use and sexual risk behavior among adolescents. J Stud Alcohol Drugs. 2009 Nov. PMID: 19895772
- Hansen NB, Cavanaugh CE, Vaughan EL, Connell CM, Tate DC, Sikkema KJ: The influence of personality disorder indication, social support, and grief on alcohol and cocaine use among HIV-positive adults coping with AIDS-related bereavement. AIDS Behav. 2009 Apr; 2007 Sep 12. PMID: 17846878
- Connell CM, Vanderploeg JJ, Katz KH, Caron C, Saunders L, Tebes JK: Maltreatment following reunification: predictors of subsequent Child Protective Services contact after children return home. Child Abuse Negl. 2009 Apr; 2009 Mar 26. PMID: 19327834
- Hansen NB, Vaughan EL, Cavanaugh CE, Connell CM, Sikkema KJ: Health-related quality of life in bereaved HIV-positive adults: relationships between HIV symptoms, grief, social support, and Axis II indication. Health Psychol. 2009 Mar. PMID: 19290717
- Tebes JK, Feinn R, Vanderploeg JJ, Chinman MJ, Shepard J, Brabham T, Genovese M, Connell C: Impact of a positive youth development program in urban after-school settings on the prevention of adolescent substance use. J Adolesc Health. 2007 Sep; 2007 May 3. PMID: 17707293
- Connell CM, Bergeron N, Katz KH, Saunders L, Tebes JK: Re-referral to child protective services: the influence of child, family, and case characteristics on risk status. Child Abuse Negl. 2007 May. PMID: 17537504
- Vanderploeg JJ, Connell CM, Caron C, Saunders L, Katz KH, Tebes JK: The impact of parental alcohol or drug removals on foster care placement experiences: a matched comparison group study. Child Maltreat. 2007 May. PMID: 17446566
- Connell CM, Vanderploeg JJ, Flaspohler P, Katz KH, Saunders L, Tebes JK: Changes in Placement among Children in Foster Care: A Longitudinal Study of Child and Case Influences. Soc Serv Rev. 2006 Sep 1. PMID: 25342863