Arthritis, Rheumatoid; Autoimmune Diseases; Diabetes Mellitus, Type 1; Genetics; Genetics, Medical; Genetics, Population; Graves Disease; Immune System Diseases; Lupus Erythematosus, Systemic; Multiple Sclerosis; Thyroiditis, Autoimmune; Inflammatory Bowel Diseases; Human Genome Project; Computational Biology; Autoimmune Diseases of the Nervous System; Demyelinating Autoimmune Diseases, CNS; Genomics; Genetic Research; Systems Biology
We look for genetic factors that predispose to disease and try to understand the biology they perturb. We ask what genes are perturbed, what processes they participate in and whether these perturbations are sufficient to induce differences at the molecular and cellular levels.This gives us novel targets for biomarkers, diagnosis and treatment.
Our approach encompasses statistical and computational tools, genetics and molecular biology. We are a hybrid lab with strong quantitative and experimental skills and we cycle between hypotheses generated by rigorous analysis and confirmation and discovery in experimental systems.
Immune-mediated disease genetics: the shared basis of pathogenesis
Immune-mediated disease genetics: the shared basis of pathogenesis. Cotsapas C, Hafler DA. Trends Immunol. 2013 Jan;34(1):22-6. doi: 10.1016/j.it.2012.09.001. Epub 2012 Sep 29. Review.
Protein array-based profiling of CSF identifies RBPJ as an autoantigen in multiple sclerosis
Protein array-based profiling of CSF identifies RBPJ as an autoantigen in multiple sclerosis. Querol L, Clark PL, Bailey MA, Cotsapas C, Cross AH, Hafler DA, Kleinstein SH, Lee JY, Yaari G, Willis SN, O'Connor KC. Neurology. 2013 Sep 10;81(11):956-63. doi: 10.1212/WNL.0b013e3182a43b48. Epub 2013 Aug 6.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Brynedal B, Choi J, Raj T, Bjornson R, Stranger BE, Neale BM, Voight BF, Cotsapas C: Large-Scale trans-eQTLs Affect Hundreds of Transcripts and Mediate Patterns of Transcriptional Co-regulation. Am J Hum Genet. 2017 Mar 1; 2017 Mar 1. PMID: 28285767
- Chun S, Casparino A, Patsopoulos NA, Croteau-Chonka DC, Raby BA, De Jager PL, Sunyaev SR, Cotsapas C: Limited statistical evidence for shared genetic effects of eQTLs and autoimmune-disease-associated loci in three major immune-cell types. Nat Genet. 2017 Feb 20; 2017 Feb 20. PMID: 28218759
- Roden C, Gaillard J, Kanoria S, Rennie W, Barish S, Cheng J, Pan W, Liu J, Cotsapas C, Ding Y, Lu J: Novel determinants of mammalian primary microRNA processing revealed by systematic evaluation of hairpin-containing transcripts and human genetic variation. Genome Res. 2017 Mar; 2017 Jan 13. PMID: 28087842
- Garyu JW, Meffre E, Cotsapas C, Herold KC: Progress and challenges for treating Type 1 diabetes. J Autoimmun. 2016 Jul; 2016 May 17. PMID: 27210268
- Choi J, Shooshtari P, Samocha KE, Daly MJ, Cotsapas C: Network Analysis of Genome-Wide Selective Constraint Reveals a Gene Network Active in Early Fetal Brain Intolerant of Mutation. PLoS Genet. 2016 Jun 15; 2016 Jun 15. PMID: 27305007
- Raj P, Rai E, Song R, Khan S, Wakeland BE, Viswanathan K, Arana C, Liang C, Zhang B, Dozmorov I, Carr-Johnson F, Mitrovic M, Wiley GB, Kelly JA, Lauwerys BR, Olsen NJ, Cotsapas C, Garcia CK, Wise CA, Harley JB, Nath SK, James JA, Jacob CO, Tsao BP, Pasare C, Karp DR, Li QZ, Gaffney PM, Wakeland EK: Regulatory polymorphisms modulate the expression of HLA class II molecules and promote autoimmunity. Elife. 2016 Feb 15; 2016 Feb 15. PMID: 26880555
- Tooley JE, Vudattu N, Choi J, Cotsapas C, Devine L, Raddassi K, Ehlers MR, McNamara JG, Harris KM, Kanaparthi S, Phippard D, Herold KC: Changes in T-cell subsets identify responders to FcR-nonbinding anti-CD3 mAb (teplizumab) in patients with type 1 diabetes. Eur J Immunol. 2016 Jan; 2015 Dec 14. PMID: 26518356
- Housley WJ, Fernandez SD, Vera K, Murikinati SR, Grutzendler J, Cuerdon N, Glick L, De Jager PL, Mitrovic M, Cotsapas C, Hafler DA: Genetic variants associated with autoimmunity drive NFκB signaling and responses to inflammatory stimuli. Sci Transl Med. 2015 Jun 10. PMID: 26062845
- Querol L, Clark PL, Bailey MA, Cotsapas C, Cross AH, Hafler DA, Kleinstein SH, Lee JY, Yaari G, Willis SN, O'Connor KC: Protein array-based profiling of CSF identifies RBPJ as an autoantigen in multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2013 Sep 10; 2013 Aug 6. PMID: 23921886
- Cotsapas C, Hafler DA: Immune-mediated disease genetics: the shared basis of pathogenesis. Trends Immunol. 2013 Jan; 2012 Sep 29. PMID: 23031829