Kidney Diseases; Nephrology; Renal Insufficiency; Biomarkers, Pharmacological; Biostatistics; Translational Medical Research; Acute Kidney Injury
Public Health Interests
Biomarkers; Biostatistics; Kidney Disease
I direct the Program of Applied Translational Research (PATR) which is dedicated to the process of applying discoveries generated in the laboratory and in preclinical experiments, to the development of clinical studies, and to the design of clinical trials. As a critical component of this mission, the Program also seeks to conduct translational research to advance the mechanistic understanding of novel biomarkers to enhance their clinical utility in complex diseases. Our multidisciplinary team is comprised of talented physicians and scientists committed to patient-oriented research and developing solutions in clinical medicine and disease management in the community. The Program aims to combine the creativity, commitment, experience, and skills of our physician-scientists to improve the care of our patients.
The Program develops novel translational research methodologies for assessing biomarker performance and identifies innovative strategies to treat complex clinical disorders, such as peri-operative kidney injury, post-transplantation kidney injury, and hepatorenal and cardiorenal syndromes. A large biosample repository with associated bioinformatics has been established to support all phases of translational research and biomarker development. The Program also recruits and trains students and young scientists in translational research education.
We have created a collaborative environment and actively seek the perspective of those who will use or potentially benefit from our research. Our ultimate goal is to demonstrate that patients directly benefit from the applied science we develop.
Specialized Terms: Acute kidney injury; Novel biomarkers of kidney injury; Translational research
Extensive Research Description
- Puthumana J, Hall IE, Reese PP, Schröppel B, Weng FL, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Doshi MD, Rao V, Lee CG, Elias JA, Cantley LG, PARIKH CR. YKL-40 Associates with Renal Recovery in Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 28(2):661-670 (2017).
- Reese PP, Hall IE, Weng FL, Schröppel B, Doshi MD, Hasz RD, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Ficek J, Rao V, Murray P, Lin H, PARIKH CR. Associations between Deceased-Donor Urine Injury Biomarkers and Kidney Transplant Outcomes. J Am Soc Nephrol. 27(5):1534-43 (2016).
- Zhang WR, Garg AX, Coca SG, Devereaux PJ, Eikelboom J, Kavsak P, McArthur E, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Shortt C, Shlipak M, Whitlock R, PARIKH CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Plasma IL-6 and IL-10 Concentrations Predict AKI and Long-Term Mortality in Adults after Cardiac Surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 26(12):3123-32 (2015).
- Coca SG, Garg AX, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Koyner JL, Patel UD, Krumholz HM, Shlipak MG, PARIKH CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Urinary biomarkers of AKI and mortality 3 years after cardiac surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 25(5):1063-71 (2014).
- PARIKH CR ,Devarajan P, Zappitelli M, Sint K, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Li S, Kim RW, Koyner JL, Coca SG, Edelstein CL, Shlipak MG, Garg AX, Krawczeski CD; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Postoperative biomarkers predict acute kidney injury and poor outcomes after pediatric cardiac surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 22(9):1737-47 (2011).
- PARIKH CR, Coca SG, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Shlipak MG, Koyner JL, Wang Z, Edelstein CL, Devarajan P, Patel UD, Zappitelli M, Krawczeski CD, Passik CS, Swaminathan M, Garg AX; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Postoperative biomarkers predict acute kidney injury and poor outcomes after adult cardiac surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 22(9):1748-57 (2011).
- Greenberg JH, Zappitelli M, Devarajan P, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Krawczeski C, Li S, Garg AX, Coca S, PARIKH CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Kidney Outcomes 5 Years After Pediatric Cardiac Surgery: The TRIBE-AKI Study. JAMA Pediatr. 170(11):1071-1078 (2016).
- Coca SG, Krumholz HM, Garg AX, PARIKH CR. Underrepresentation of renal disease in randomized controlled trials of cardiovascular disease. JAMA. 296(11):1377-84 (2006).
- Zhao B, Lu Q, Cheng Y, Belcher JM, Siew ED, Leaf DE, Body SC, Fox AA, Waikar SS, Collard CD, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Ikizler TA, Ware LB, Edelstein CL, Garg AX, Choi M, Schaub JA, Zhao H, Lifton RP, PARIKH CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium * .A Genome-Wide Association Study to Identify Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms for Acute Kidney Injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 195(4):482-490 (2017).
- Belcher JM, Sanyal AJ, Peixoto AJ, Perazella MA, Lim J, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Ansari N, Coca SG, Garcia-Tsao G, PARIKH CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium. Kidney biomarkers and differential diagnosis of patients with cirrhosis and acute kidney injury. Hepatology. 60(2):622-32 (2014)