Kidney Diseases; Nephrology; Renal Insufficiency; Biomarkers, Pharmacological; Biostatistics; Translational Medical Research; Acute Kidney Injury
Public Health Interests
Biomarkers; Biostatistics; Kidney Disease
I direct the Program of Applied Translational Research (PATR) which is dedicated to the process of applying discoveries generated in the laboratory and in preclinical experiments, to the development of clinical studies, and to the design of clinical trials. As a critical component of this mission, the Program also seeks to conduct translational research to advance the mechanistic understanding of novel biomarkers to enhance their clinical utility in complex diseases. Our multidisciplinary team is comprised of talented physicians and scientists committed to patient-oriented research and developing solutions in clinical medicine and disease management in the community. The Program aims to combine the creativity, commitment, experience, and skills of our physician-scientists to improve the care of our patients.
The Program develops novel translational research methodologies for assessing biomarker performance and identifies innovative strategies to treat complex clinical disorders, such as peri-operative kidney injury, post-transplantation kidney injury, and hepatorenal and cardiorenal syndromes. A large biosample repository with associated bioinformatics has been established to support all phases of translational research and biomarker development. The Program also recruits and trains students and young scientists in translational research education.
We have created a collaborative environment and actively seek the perspective of those who will use or potentially benefit from our research. Our ultimate goal is to demonstrate that patients directly benefit from the applied science we develop.
Specialized Terms: Acute kidney injury; Novel biomarkers of kidney injury; Translational research
Extensive Research Description
- Zhao B, Lu Q, Cheng Y, Belcher JM, Siew ED, Leaf DE, Body SC, Fox AA, Waikar SW, Collard CD, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Ikizler TA, Ware LB, Edelstein CL, Garg AX, Choi M, Schaub JA, Zhao H, Lifton RP, Parikh CR; TRIBE-AKI Consortium.. A Genome-Wide Association Study to Identify Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms for Acute Kidney Injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016 Aug 30. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27576016.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Zhao B, Lu Q, Cheng Y, Belcher JM, Siew ED, Leaf DE, Body SC, Fox AA, Waikar SS, Collard CD, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Ikizler TA, Ware LB, Edelstein CL, Garg AX, Choi M, Schaub JA, Zhao H, Lifton RP, Parikh CR, TRIBE-AKI Consortium * .: A Genome-Wide Association Study to Identify Single-Nucleotide Polymorphisms for Acute Kidney Injury. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Feb 15. PMID: 27576016
- Puthumana J, Hall IE, Reese PP, Schröppel B, Weng FL, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Doshi MD, Rao V, Lee CG, Elias JA, Cantley LG, Parikh CR: YKL-40 Associates with Renal Recovery in Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Feb; 2016 Jul 22. PMID: 27451287
- Greenberg JH, Zappitelli M, Devarajan P, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Krawczeski C, Li S, Garg AX, Coca S, Parikh CR, TRIBE-AKI Consortium.: Kidney Outcomes 5 Years After Pediatric Cardiac Surgery: The TRIBE-AKI Study. JAMA Pediatr. 2016 Nov 1. PMID: 27618162
- Parikh CR, Moledina DG, Coca SG, Thiessen-Philbrook HR, Garg AX: Application of new acute kidney injury biomarkers in human randomized controlled trials. Kidney Int. 2016 Jun; 2016 Apr 23. PMID: 27165835
- Belcher JM, Sanyal AJ, Peixoto AJ, Perazella MA, Lim J, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Ansari N, Coca SG, Garcia-Tsao G, Parikh CR, TRIBE-AKI Consortium.: Kidney biomarkers and differential diagnosis of patients with cirrhosis and acute kidney injury. Hepatology. 2014 Aug; 2014 Jun 26. PMID: 24375576
- Parikh CR, Thiessen-Philbrook H: Key concepts and limitations of statistical methods for evaluating biomarkers of kidney disease. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 Aug; 2014 May 1. PMID: 24790177
- Coca SG, Garg AX, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Koyner JL, Patel UD, Krumholz HM, Shlipak MG, Parikh CR, TRIBE-AKI Consortium.: Urinary biomarkers of AKI and mortality 3 years after cardiac surgery. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2014 May; 2013 Dec 19. PMID: 24357673