Diagnostic Techniques, Neurological; Molecular Biology
Neurosurgery: Brain Aneurysm & AVM Program
My basic science research interests involve the molecular and genetic characterization of vascular diseases of the central nervous system (CNS). In particular, under the mentorship of Dr. Murat Gunel, we are currently using cutting edge molecular genetics to better understand cerebrovascular disease.
My translational research interests involve the application of advanced imaging protocols in the risk stratification of cerebrovascular disease. A current focus is the application of high-resolution magnetic resonance vessel wall imaging in the evaluation of patients with subarachnoid hemorrhage.
- Matouk C, Mandell DM, Gunel M, Bulsara KR, Malhotra A, Hebert R, Johnson MH, Mikulis DJ, Minja FJ. Vessel wall MRI identifies the site-of-rupture in patients with multiple intracranial aneurysms: proof-of-principle. Neurosurgery. 2012 Nov 13. [Epub ahe
- Matouk C, Turgeon PJ, Marsden PA. Epigenetics and stroke risk - beyond the static DNA code. Adv Genomics Genet. 2012 Oct;2:67-84.
- Matouk C, Kaderali Z, Terbrugge KG, Willinsky RA. Parent vessel occlusion for the treatment of complex aneurysms: long-term clinical and imaging follow-up. Am J Neuroradiol. 2012 Nov;33(10):1991-7.
- Alkins R, Matouk C, Cruz JP, Marotta T, Montantera W, Spears J. Carotid artery angioplasty and stenting for patients less than 70 years of age: a longitudinal cohort study. Can J Neurol Sci. 2012 May;39(3):338-42.
- Mandell DM, Matouk C, Farb RI, Krings T, Agid R, Terbrugge K, Willinsky RA, Swartz RH, Silver FL, Mikulis DJ. Vessel wall MRI to differentiate between reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome and central nervous system vasculitis: preliminary result
- Martin AR, Pablo Cruz J, Matouk C, Spears J, Marotta TR. The Pipeline flow-diverting stent for exclusion of ruptured intracranial aneurysms with difficult morphologies. Neurosurgery. 2012 Mar;70(1 Suppl Operative):21-8.
- Matouk C, Marsden PA. Epigenetic regulation of vascular endothelial gene expression. Circ Res. 2008 Apr 25;102(8):873-87.