Cerebrovascular Disorders; Diagnostic Techniques, Neurological; Endothelium, Vascular; Neurosurgery; Radiology; Clinical Trial
My translational research interests can be divided along two thematic lines: (1) clinical trials implementation and design in neurological disease, and (2) advanced imaging in cerebrovascular disease.
Specialized Terms: Translational application of advanced imaging protocols in neurovascular disease; clinical trials
Extensive Research Description
1. CLINICAL TRIALS
I am currently involved in the following national and international, multi-center clinical trials that are enrolling (or about to enroll) at Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Brain Aneurysms / Subarachnoid Hemorrhage
ASTROH Trial. A multi-center, phase II randomized clinical trial of continuous low-dose IV heparin therapy in coiled low-grade aneurysmal SAH patients with significant hemorrhage burden. [My role: site-PI.]
NEWTON Trial. A multi-center, phase 3 randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled efficacy and safety study comparing EG-1962 to standard of care oral nimodipine in adults with aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage. [My role: site-PI.]
CONFIDENCE Trial. A prospective, multi-center, single-arm, open-label clinical study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Roadsaver carotid stent device used in conjunction with the Nanoparasol embolic protection system for the treatment of carotid artery stenosis in patients with elevated risk for adverse events following carotid endarterectomy. [My role: site-PI.]
CREST-2. Carotid revascularization for primary prevention of stroke (CREST-2) is two independent multicenter, randomized controlled trials of carotid revascularization and intensive medical management versus medical management alone in patients with asymptomatic high-grade carotid stenosis. [My role: sub-investigator, interventionist.]
MISTIE-III. The purpose of this trial is to determine the safety of using a combination of minimally invasive surgery and clot lysis with rt-PA to remove intracerebral hemorrhage (ICH). [My role: site-co-PI, lead surgeon.]
2. ADVANCED IMAGING RESEARCH
My translational research is focused on advanced imaging of the critically ill neurovascular patient. Our overall aim is to improve the safety and quality of care rendered to patient's with cerebrovascular disease.
- Vessel wall magnetic resonance imaging identifies the site of rupture in patients with multiple intracranial aneurysms: proof of principle. Matouk C, Mandell DM, Gunel M, Bulsara KR, Malhotra A, Hebert R, Johnson MH, Mikulis DJ, Minja FJ. Vessel wall MRI identifies the site-of-rupture in patients with multiple intracranial aneurysms: proof-of-principle. Neurosurgery. 2013 Mar;72(3):492-6; discussion 496. doi: 10.1227/NEU.0b013e31827d1012.
- Matouk C, Turgeon PJ, Marsden PA. Epigenetics and stroke risk - beyond the static DNA code. Adv Genomics Genet. 2012 Oct;2:67-84.
- Matouk C, Kaderali Z, Terbrugge KG, Willinsky RA. Parent vessel occlusion for the treatment of complex aneurysms: long-term clinical and imaging follow-up. Am J Neuroradiol. 2012 Nov;33(10):1991-7.
Carotid artery angioplasty and stenting for patients less than 70 years of age: a longitudinal cohort study.
Alkins R, Matouk C, Cruz JP, Marotta T, Montantera W, Spears J. Carotid artery angioplasty and stenting for patients less than 70 years of age: a longitudinal cohort study. Can J Neurol Sci. 2012 May;39(3):338-42.
Vessel wall MRI to differentiate between reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome and central nervous system vasculitis: preliminary results.
Mandell DM, Matouk C, Farb RI, Krings T, Agid R, Terbrugge K, Willinsky RA, Swartz RH, Silver FL, Mikulis DJ. Stroke. 2012 Mar;43(3):860-2. doi: 10.1161/STROKEAHA.111.626184. Epub 2011 Dec 8.
The pipeline flow-diverting stent for exclusion of ruptured intracranial aneurysms with difficult morphologies.
Martin AR, Pablo Cruz J, Matouk C, Spears J, Marotta TR. The Pipeline flow-diverting stent for exclusion of ruptured intracranial aneurysms with difficult morphologies. Neurosurgery. 2012 Mar;70(1 Suppl Operative):21-8.
- Matouk C, Marsden PA. Epigenetic regulation of vascular endothelial gene expression. Circ Res. 2008 Apr 25;102(8):873-87.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Malhotra A, Wu X, Forman HP, Grossetta Nardini HK, Matouk CC, Gandhi D, Moore C, Sanelli P: Growth and Rupture Risk of Small Unruptured Intracranial Aneurysms: A Systematic Review. Ann Intern Med. 2017 Jul 4; 2017 Jun 6. PMID: 28586893
- Coutinho JM, Sacho RH, Schaafsma JD, Agid R, Krings T, Radovanovic I, Matouk CC, Mikulis DJ, Mandell DM: High-Resolution Vessel Wall Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Angiogram-Negative Non-Perimesencephalic Subarachnoid Hemorrhage. Clin Neuroradiol. 2017 Jun; 2015 Nov 25. PMID: 26608742
- Mandell DM, Mossa-Basha M, Qiao Y, Hess CP, Hui F, Matouk C, Johnson MH, Daemen MJ, Vossough A, Edjlali M, Saloner D, Ansari SA, Wasserman BA, Mikulis DJ, Vessel Wall Imaging Study Group of the American Society of Neuroradiology.: Intracranial Vessel Wall MRI: Principles and Expert Consensus Recommendations of the American Society of Neuroradiology. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2017 Feb; 2016 Jul 28. PMID: 27469212
- Malhotra A, Schindler J, Mac Grory B, Chu SY, Youn TS, Matouk C, Greer DM, Schrag M: Cerebral Microhemorrhages and Meningeal Siderosis in Infective Endocarditis. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2017; 2016 Nov 22. PMID: 27871078
- Grant RA, Cord BJ, Kuzomunhu L, Sheth K, Gilmore E, Matouk CC: Aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage and severe, catheter-induced vasospasm associated with excessive consumption of a caffeinated energy drink. Interv Neuroradiol. 2016 Dec; 2016 Aug 1. PMID: 27481912
- Sreekrishnan A, Dearborn JL, Greer DM, Shi FD, Hwang DY, Leasure AC, Zhou SE, Gilmore EJ, Matouk CC, Petersen NH, Sansing LH, Sheth KN: Intracerebral Hemorrhage Location and Functional Outcomes of Patients: A Systematic Literature Review and Meta-Analysis. Neurocrit Care. 2016 Dec. PMID: 27160888
- Malhotra A, Wu X, Borse R, Matouk CC, Bulsara K: Should Patients Be Counseled About Possible Recurrence of Perimesencephalic Subarachnoid Hemorrhage? World Neurosurg. 2016 Oct; 2016 Aug 10. PMID: 27521726
- Wu X, Kalra VB, Forman HP, Matouk CC, Mongelluzzo G, Liu R, Malhotra A: Regarding "Cerebral Angiography for Evaluation of Patients with CT Angiogram-Negative Subarachnoid Hemorrhage: An 11-Year Experience". AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016 Jun; 2016 Apr 7. PMID: 27056430
- Yeung J, Cord BJ, O'Rourke TK, Maina RM, Sommaruga S, Matouk CC: Macrovascular Lesions Underlying Spontaneous Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Semin Neurol. 2016 Jun; 2016 May 23. PMID: 27214699
- Malhotra A, Wu X, Kalra VB, Matouk CC, Forman HP: Regarding "Clinical and Imaging Follow-Up of Patients with Coiled Basilar Tip Aneurysms Up to 20 Years". AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016 Apr; 2016 Jan 28. PMID: 26822726
- Matouk CC, Cord BJ, Yeung J, Malhotra A, Johnson MH, Minja FJ: High-resolution Vessel Wall Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Intracranial Aneurysms and Brain Arteriovenous Malformations. Top Magn Reson Imaging. 2016 Apr. PMID: 27049241
- Malhotra A, Wu X, Kalra VB, Schindler J, Matouk CC, Forman HP: Evaluation for Blunt Cerebrovascular Injury: Review of the Literature and a Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2016 Feb; 2015 Oct 8. PMID: 26450540
- Kalra VB, Wu X, Matouk CC, Malhotra A: Use of follow-up imaging in isolated perimesencephalic subarachnoid hemorrhage: a meta-analysis. Stroke. 2015 Feb; 2014 Dec 18. PMID: 25523050
- Letzen BS, Matouk CC, Bonde P: Particle embolization for the treatment of life-threatening epistaxis in a left ventricular assist device patient. ASAIO J. 2015 Jan-Feb. PMID: 25248039
- Yeung JT, Matouk CC, Bulsara KR, Sheth KN: Endovascular revascularization for basilar artery occlusion. Interv Neurol. 2015 Jan. PMID: 25999990
- Baranoski JF, Grant RA, Hirsch LJ, Visintainer P, Gerrard JL, Günel M, Matouk CC, Spencer DD, Bulsara KR: Seizure control for intracranial arteriovenous malformations is directly related to treatment modality: a meta-analysis. J Neurointerv Surg. 2014 Nov; 2013 Dec 6. PMID: 24319021
- Power S, Matouk C, Casaubon LK, Silver FL, Krings T, Mikulis DJ, Mandell DM: Vessel wall magnetic resonance imaging in acute ischemic stroke: effects of embolism and mechanical thrombectomy on the arterial wall. Stroke. 2014 Aug; 2014 Jun 24. PMID: 24964050
- Lu AY, Ansari SA, Nyström KV, Damisah EC, Amin HP, Matouk CC, Pashankar RD, Bulsara KR: Intra-arterial treatment of acute ischemic stroke: the continued evolution. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med. 2014 Feb. PMID: 24398801
- Hwang DY, Matouk CC, Sheth KN: Management of the malignant middle cerebral artery syndrome. Semin Neurol. 2013 Nov; 2014 Feb 6. PMID: 24504607
- Bulsara KR, Kuzmik GA, Hebert R, Cheung V, Matouk CC, Jabbour P, Hasan D, Pepper J: Stenting as monotherapy for uncoilable intracranial aneurysms. Neurosurgery. 2013 Sep. PMID: 23208063
- Kalra VB, Malhotra A, Matouk CC: Teaching neuroimages: susceptibility-weighted MRI: first clue to DAVF complicating sinovenous thrombosis. Neurology. 2013 May 21. PMID: 23690302
- Ediriwickrema A, Williamson T, Hebert R, Matouk C, Johnson MH, Bulsara KR: Intracranial stenting as monotherapy in subarachnoid hemorrhage and sickle cell disease. J Neurointerv Surg. 2013 Mar; 2012 Jan 16. PMID: 22248629
- Matouk CC, Mandell DM, Günel M, Bulsara KR, Malhotra A, Hebert R, Johnson MH, Mikulis DJ, Minja FJ: Vessel wall magnetic resonance imaging identifies the site of rupture in patients with multiple intracranial aneurysms: proof of principle. Neurosurgery. 2013 Mar. PMID: 23151622
- Matouk CC, Kaderali Z, terBrugge KG, Willinsky RA: Long-term clinical and imaging follow-up of complex intracranial aneurysms treated by endovascular parent vessel occlusion. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2012 Nov; 2012 May 3. PMID: 22555575
- Matouk CC, Krings T, Ter Brugge KG, Smith R: Cement embolization of a segmental artery after percutaneous vertebroplasty: a potentially catastrophic vascular complication. Interv Neuroradiol. 2012 Sep; 2012 Sep 10. PMID: 22958778
- Matouk CC, Ellis MJ, Kalia SK, Ginsberg HJ: Skull fracture secondary to application of a Mayfield skull clamp in an adult patient: case report and review of the literature. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2012 Jul; 2012 Jan 18. PMID: 22261664