Carla Marienfeld, MD
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Global mental health; Health services in addiction
My previous research experience includes biochemical research focusing on cholangiocarcinoma, which then shifted more towards psychiatric and global interests during my work in Chile on iron-deficiency anemia during infancy on the sleep and activity patterns of adolescents. More recently, I have been involved in projects in China looking at epidemiology and basic treatment outcomes of close to 9000 methadone maintained patients in Wuhan, China. In addition, I have done some work in Nigeria on knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of internal medicine residents and medical students after a basic psychiatric training intervention. I have also completed a series of papers looking at medication utilization of large samples of dually diagnosed patients at the VA, and hope to transfer this experience into looking at a large community based sample of methadone and/or buprenorphine maintained patients’ treatment outcomes.
- Marienfeld C and Rohrbaugh R. Impact of a Global Mental Health Program on a Residency Training Program. Academic Psychiatry, 37:4, July-August 2013
- Marienfeld, C and Rosenheck, RA. Psychotropic prescription fills among dually diagnosed patients with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia nationally in VA. Advances in Dual Diagnosis. July 2013.
- Marienfeld C, Iheanacho T, Issa M, and Rosenheck RA. Long-acting injectable depot naltrexone use in the Veterans’ Health Administration: A national study. Addictive Behaviors 2013.
- Iheanacho T, Issa M, Marienfeld C, and Rosenheck RA. Use of Naltrexone for Alcohol Use Disorders in the Veterans Health Administration. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2013. E-pub Feb 2013
- Iheanacho T, Marienfeld C, Stefanovics E, Rosenheck RA. Attitudes towards Mental Illness and Changes Associated with a Brief Educational Intervention for Medical and Nursing Students in Nigeria. Academic Psychiatry 2013 Accepted
- Iheanacho T, Stefanovics E, Makanjuola V, Marienfeld C, and Rosenheck R. Medical and nursing students’ attitude towards people with mental illness in Nigeria: A tale of two teaching hospitals. International Psychiatry 2013. Accepted for publication.
- Zeng H, Lee T, Waters J, So K, Sham P, Schottenfeld R, Marienfeld C, Chawarski M. Impulsivity, Cognitive Function and their Relationship in Heroin-Dependent Individuals. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 2013; 828022
- Marienfeld C, Tek E, Diaz E, Schottenfeld R, Chawarski M. Psychiatrist decision-making towards prescribing benzodiazepines: The dilemma with substance abusers. Psych Quarterly. 2012. DOI 10.1007/s11126-012-9220-8
- Marienfeld C. Time for a Global Mental Health Specialty for US Residents? American Journal of Psychiatry Residents’ Journal. 2010 Dec;5(12):7
- Marienfeld C. Neuroscience and Psychiatry: The ACGME Perspective. American Journal of Psychiatry Residents’ Journal. 2010 Apr;5(4): 8-9