Mental Health Services; Substance-Related Disorders
Public Health Interests
My previous research experience includes biochemical research focusing on cholangiocarcinoma, which then shifted more towards psychiatric and global interests during my work in Chile on iron-deficiency anemia during infancy on the sleep and activity patterns of adolescents. More recently, I have been involved in projects in China looking at epidemiology and basic treatment outcomes methadone maintained patients in Wuhan, China. In addition, I have done some work in Nigeria on knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors of internal medicine residents and medical students after a basic psychiatric training intervention. I have also completed a series of papers looking at medication utilization of large samples of dually diagnosed and methadone maintained patients at the VA.
- Schottenfeld R and Marienfeld C. Opioid Agonist Maintenance Treatment. Gabbard’s Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders, 5th Edition, Glen O. Gabbard, MD, Editor, 2014. ISBN 978-1-58562-442-3
- Marienfeld C, Barkil-Oteo A, Bahloul H, Annamalai A. Public Psychiatry and Global Mental Health. The Yale Textbook of Public Psychiatry. Oxford University Press. 2015 Accepted for publication.
- Marienfeld C and Rohrbaugh R. Impact of a Global Mental Health Program on a Residency Training Program. Academic Psychiatry, 37:4, July-August 2013
- Marienfeld, C and Rosenheck, RA. Psychotropic prescription fills among dually diagnosed patients with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia nationally in VA. Advances in Dual Diagnosis. July 2013.
- Marienfeld C, Iheanacho T, Issa M, and Rosenheck RA. Long-acting injectable depot naltrexone use in the Veterans’ Health Administration: A national study. Addictive Behaviors 2014.
- Iheanacho T, Issa M, Marienfeld C, and Rosenheck RA. Use of Naltrexone for Alcohol Use Disorders in the Veterans Health Administration. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2013. E-pub Feb 2013
- Iheanacho T, Marienfeld C, Stefanovics E, Rosenheck RA. Attitudes towards Mental Illness and Changes Associated with a Brief Educational Intervention for Medical and Nursing Students in Nigeria. Academic Psychiatry 2013 Accepted
- Iheanacho T, Stefanovics E, Makanjuola V, Marienfeld C, and Rosenheck R. Medical and nursing students’ attitude towards people with mental illness in Nigeria: A tale of two teaching hospitals. International Psychiatry 2013. Accepted for publication.
- Zeng H, Lee T, Waters J, So K, Sham P, Schottenfeld R, Marienfeld C, Chawarski M. Impulsivity, Cognitive Function and their Relationship in Heroin-Dependent Individuals. Journal of Clinical and Experimental Neuropsychology 2013; 828022
- Marienfeld C, Tek E, Diaz E, Schottenfeld R, Chawarski M. Psychiatrist decision-making towards prescribing benzodiazepines: The dilemma with substance abusers. Psych Quarterly. 2012. DOI 10.1007/s11126-012-9220-8
- Marienfeld C. Time for a Global Mental Health Specialty for US Residents? American Journal of Psychiatry Residents’ Journal. 2010 Dec;5(12):7