Over the past 25 years, my research has focused on glaucoma, with special emphasis of mechanisms of certain forms of glaucoma (e.g., the Axenfeld-Rieger syndrome and the iridocorneal endothelial syndrome), diagnostic measures (especially computerized image analysis of the optic nerve head), and therapeutic approaches (clinical drug trials and extensive evaluation of laser cyclo- photocoagulation for unusually difficult forms forms of glaucoma and surgical approaches to combined cataract and glaucoma).
I am currently investigating a glaucoma shunt device, called Aquashunt, for which we received US patent in 2006. A start up company, called Vidus Ocular, was started at Yale which conducted pre-clinical trials in 2007-2008. The company was purchased by OPKO Health in 2008, which supported clinical trials in 2009 with favorable outcome measures. Sale of the device to a larger company is currently under negotiation.
- Lee JC, Shields MB (2010) Horizontal deviation of retinal nerve fiber layer peak thickness with Stratus optical coherence tomography in glaucoma patients and glaucoma suspects. J Glaucoma 19:299-303
- Hong BK, Winer JC, Martone JF, Wand M, Altman B, Shields MB (2009) Repeat selective laser trabeculoplasty. J Glaucoma 18:180-183
- Gwira JA, Vistamehr S, Shelsta H, Et Al (2006) Factors associated with failure to follow up after glaucoma screening. A study in an African American population, Ophthalmology, 113, 1315-1319, Publish
- Reistad CE, Shields MB, Campbell DG, Et Al (2005) The influence of peripheral iridotomy on the intraocular pressure course in patients with pigmentary glaucoma, J Glauc, 14, 255-259, Published
- Bashford KP, Shafranov G, Shields MB (2004) Bleb Revision for hypotony maculopathy after trabeculectomy, J Glauc, 13, 256-260
- Vakili R, Chaudhri SA, Tauber S, Shields MB (2002) Effect of mild to moderate mopic correction by laser-assited in situ keratomileusis on intraocular pressure measurements with Goldmann applanation tonometer, Tono-Pen and pneumatonometer, J Glauc, 11, 493
- Salim S, Paranhos Jr A, Lima M, Shields MB (2001) Influence of surgical reduction of intraocular pressure on regions of the visual field with different levels of sensitivity, Am J Ophthalmol, 132, 486-500, Published