A. Brian West MD
Professor of Pathology; Professor/C-E Track
Anatomic pathology of the gastrointestinal tract; Liver; Biliary tract and pancreas; Special emphasis on non-neoplastic diseases; Histopathological diagnosis of infectious diseases; Pathogenesis of infectious and inflammatory disorders of the gastrointestinal tract, liver, biliary system; Vascular diseases of the alimentary tract; Efficiency and error reduction in anatomic pathology
Extensive Research Description
- Terry MB, Gammon MD, Zhang FF, Vaughn TL, Chow W-H, Risch HA, Schoenberg JB, Mayne ST, Stanford JL, West AB, Rotterdam H, Blot WJ, Fraumeni JF, Santella RM. Alcohol dehydrogenase 3 and risk of esophageal and gastric adenocarcinomas. Cancer Causes Control 200718(9):1039-46.
- Sherman J, Kao PC, West AB, Blaszyk H. Focal myointimal hyperplasia of mesenteric veins is associated with previous trauma in surgical specimens. Pathol Res Pract 2006202(7):517-22.
- Combes B, Emerson SS, Flye NL, Munoz SJ, Luketic VA, Mayo MJ, McCashland TM, Zetterman RK, Peters MG, Di Bisceglie AM, Benner KG, Kowdley KV, Carithers RL, Rosoff L, Garcia-Tsao G, Boyer JL, Boyer TD, Martinez TJ, Bass NM, Lake JR, Barnes DS, Bonacini M, Lindsay KL, Mills AS, Markin RS, Rubin R, West AB, Wheeler DE, Contos MJ, Hofmann AF. Methotrexate (MTX) plus ursodeoxycholic acid (UDCA) in the treatment of primary biliary cirrhosis. Hepatology 200542:1184-93.
- Draghi A, Popov VL, Kahl MM, Stanton JB, Brown CC, Tsongalis GJ, West AB, Frasca S. Characterization of ?candidatus Piscichlamydia salmonis? (order Chlamydiales), a chlamydia-like bacterium associated with epitheliocystis in farmed Atlantic salmon Salmo salar. J Clin Microbiol 200442:5286-97.
- Roskams TA, Theise ND, Balabaud C, Bhagat G, Bhathal PS, Bioulac-Sage P, Brunt EM, Crawford JM, Crosby HA, Desmet V, Finegold MJ, Geller SA, Gouw AS, Hytiroglou P, Knisely AS, Kojiro M, Lefkowitch JH, Nakanuma Y, Olynyk JK, Park YN, Portmann B, Saxena R, Scheuer PJ, Strain AJ, Thung SN, Wanless IR, West AB. Nomenclature of the finer branches of the biliary tree: canals, ductules and ductular reactions in human livers. Hepatology 200439:1739-45.
- Sherman A, Ackert JJ, Rajapaksa R, West AB, Oweity T. "Fractured Colon": an endoscopically distinctive lesion associated with colonic perforation following colonoscopy in patients with collagenous colitis. J Clin Gastroenterol 200438:341-345.
- Levine PH, Delgado Y, Theise ND, West AB. Stellate cell lipidosis in liver biopsies: recognition and significance. Am J Clin Pathol 2003119:254-8.
- Lamps LW, Molina CP, West AB, Haggitt RC, Scott MA. The histopathologic spectrum of gastrointestinal and hepatic histoplasmosis. Am J Clin Pathol 2000113:64-72.