Neurology; Restless Legs Syndrome; Sleep; Veterans; Sleep Apnea, Obstructive; Stroke
My main research interests lie in the intersection between neurology and sleep medicine. My current area of focus is on the restless legs syndrome (RLS) and periodic limb movements during sleep (PLMS) and their association with cardiovascular disease. We have compiled epidemiologic evidence that PLMS is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease such as myocardial infarction, peripheral vascular disease and stroke. We are learning from additional studies that hypertension may play a role in this association. I am currently interested in taking a closer look at the sleep physiology in individuals with RLS and PLMS, inspecting specific time domain elements of these limb movements as well as heart rate and breathing. In addition to this vein of research, I have completed work on an animal model of RLS and am currently investigating the human genetics related to this troubling disorder.
Specialized Terms: Restless Legs Syndrome; Periodic Limb Movements During Sleep; Obstructive Sleep Apnea and Stroke
- Koo BB, Blackwell T, Lee HB, Stone KL, Louis ED, Redline S; Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Group. Restless Legs Syndrome and Depression: Effect Mediation by Disturbed Sleep and Periodic Limb Movements. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2016 Nov;24(11):1105-1116.
- Koo BB, Bagai K, Walters AS. Restless Legs Syndrome: Current Concepts about Disease Pathophysiology. Tremor Other Hyperkinet Mov (N Y). 2016 Jul 22;6:401.
- Selim BJ, Koo BB, Qin L, Jeon S, Won C, Redeker NS, Lampert RJ, Concato JP, Bravata DM, Ferguson J, Strohl K, Bennett A, Zinchuk A, Yaggi HK. The Association between Nocturnal Cardiac Arrhythmias and Sleep-Disordered Breathing: The DREAM Study. J Clin Sleep Med. 2016 Jun 15;12(6):829-37.
- Koo BB, Won C, Selim BJ, Qin L, Jeon S, Redeker NS, Bravata DM, Strohl KP, Concato J, Zinchuk AV, Yaggi HK. The Determining Risk of Vascular Events by Apnea Monitoring (DREAM) study: design, rationale, and methods. Sleep Breath. 2016 May;20(2):893-900.
- Koo BB, Bravata DM, Tobias LA, Mackey JS, Miech EJ, Matthias MS, Stahl SM, Sico JJ, Vaz Fragoso CA, Williams LS, Lampert R, Qin L, Yaggi HK. Observational Study of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Wake-Up Stroke: The SLEEP TIGHT Study. Cerebrovasc Dis. 2016;41(5-6):233-41
- Koo BB, Silau S, Dean DA, Lutsey PL, Redline S. Periodic Limb Movements During Sleep and Prevalent Hypertension in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Hypertension; 2015; 65(1):70-77.
- Trotti LM, Goldstein CA, Harrod CG, Koo BB, Sharon D, Zak S, Chervin R. Quality Measures for the Care of Adult Patients with Restless Legs Syndrome. J Clin Slp Med 2015.
- Koo BB, Blackwell T, Ancoli-Israel S, Stone K, Stefanick M, Redline S. Association of Incident Cardiovascular Disease with Periodic Limb Movements During Sleep In Older Men: Outcomes of Sleep Disorders in Older Men (MrOS) Study. Circulation 2011;124(11):1223-1331.
- Koo BB, Mehra R, Blackwell T, Ancoli-Israel S, Stone K, Redline S. Periodic Limb Movements During Sleep and Cardiac Arrhythmia in Older Men (MrOS Sleep). J Clin Slp Med 2014;10(1):7-11.
- Tanimoto A, Mehndiratta P, Koo BB. Characteristics of Wake-Up Stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2014;23(6):1296-1299.
- Koo BB. Restless legs syndrome: relationship between prevalence and latitude. Sleep Breath. 2012 Dec;16(4):1237-45.
- Budhiraja P, Budhiraja R, Goodwin JL, Allen RP, Newman AB, Koo BB, Quan SF. Incidence of restless legs syndrome and its correlates. J Clin Sleep Med. 2012 Apr 15;8(2):119-24.
- Koo BB, Strohl K, Gillombardo C, Jacono F. Ventilatory Patterning in a Mouse Model of Stroke. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology. 2010; 172(3):129-135.
- Koo BB, Feng P, Dostal J, Strohl KP. Alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone and adrenocorticotropic hormone: an alternative approach when thinking about restless legs syndrome? Mov Disord. 2008 Jul 15;23(9):1234-42.
- Koo BB, Patel SR, Strohl K, Hoffstein V. Rapid eye movement-related sleep-disordered breathing: influence of age and gender. Chest. 2008 Dec;134(6):1156-61.