My main research interests lie in the intersection between neurology and sleep medicine. My current area of focus is on the restless legs syndrome (RLS) and periodic limb movements during sleep (PLMS) and their association with cardiovascular disease. We have compiled epidemiologic evidence that PLMS is associated with the development of cardiovascular disease such as myocardial infarction, peripheral vascular disease and stroke. We are learning from additional studies that hypertension may play a role in this association. I am currently interested in taking a closer look at the sleep physiology in individuals with RLS and PLMS, inspecting specific time domain elements of these limb movements as well as heart rate and breathing. In addition to this vein of research, I have completed work on an animal model of RLS and am currently investigating the human genetics related to this troubling disorder.
- Koo BB, Silau S, Dean DA, Lutsey PL, Redline S. Periodic Limb Movements During Sleep and Prevalent Hypertension in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Hypertension; 2015; 65(1):70-77.
- Koo BB, Blackwell T, Ancoli-Israel S, Stone KL, Stefanick ML, Redline S; Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study Group. Association of incident cardiovascular disease with periodic limb movements during sleep in older men: outcomes of sleep disorders i
- Koo BB, Mehra R, Blackwell T, Ancoli-Israel S, Stone K, Redline S. Periodic Limb Movements During Sleep and Cardiac Arrhythmia in Older Men (MrOS Sleep). J Clin Slp Med 2014;10(1):7-11.
- Trotti LM, Goldstein CA, Harrod CG, Koo BB, Sharon D, Zak S, Chervin R. Quality Measures for the Care of Adult Patients with Restless Legs Syndrome. J Clin Slp Med 2015.
- Koo BB, Feng P, Dostal J, Strohl KP. Alpha-melanocyte stimulating hormone and adrenocorticotropic hormone: an alternative approach when thinking about restless legs syndrome? Mov Disord. 2008 Jul 15;23(9):1234-42.
- Tanimoto A, Mehndiratta P, Koo BB. Characteristics of Wake-Up Stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2014;23(6):1296-1299.
- Koo BB, Strohl K, Gillombardo C, Jacono F. Ventilatory Patterning in a Mouse Model of Stroke. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology. 2010; 172(3):129-135.
- Koo BB, Patel SR, Strohl K, Hoffstein V. Rapid eye movement-related sleep-disordered breathing: influence of age and gender. Chest. 2008 Dec;134(6):1156-61.
- Koo BB. Restless legs syndrome: relationship between prevalence and latitude. Sleep Breath. 2012 Dec;16(4):1237-45.
- Budhiraja P, Budhiraja R, Goodwin JL, Allen RP, Newman AB, Koo BB, Quan SF. Incidence of restless legs syndrome and its correlates. J Clin Sleep Med. 2012 Apr 15;8(2):119-24.