Aldo Jose Peixoto MD, FASN, FASH
Associate Professor of Medicine (Nephrology); Associate Chief, VACHS Medical Service; Director, Renal Pathophysiology Module; Firm Chief, VA Inpatient Firm, Traditional Internal Medicine Program
Dr. Peixoto is an Associate Professor of Medicine with the
Section of Nephrology at the Yale University School of Medicine. He is also
Associate Chief of the Medical Service, Firm Chief of the VA Firm of the Traditional Internal Medicine Program, and Director of Hypertension at the VA
Connecticut Healthcare System.
He received his medical degree from the Federal University of Santa Catarina (Brazil) in 1992. He was a medical resident and chief medical resident at the University of Connecticut Health Center from 1992-96 and later completed a nephrology fellowship at Yale University, which he joined as a full-time faculty member in 1998. He is certified in both Nephrology (ABIM) and Clinical Hypertension (ASH).
As a clinician, he is primarily interested in resistant and secondary forms of hypertension, and in general consultative nephrology and hypertension.
As a teacher, he is the director of the Renal Pathophysiology Module (second year course) at the Yale School of Medicine and has received several teaching awards from the medical school and the Internal Medicine residency training program, including the Asghar Rastegar Award in 2000 and 2008, the Bohmfalk Teaching Prize in the Basic Sciences in 2008, and the Francis G. Blake Award in 2010. He has mentored more than 30 medical students, residents and renal fellows in their research activities.
As a researcher, he focuses on hypertension in kidney disease and strategies for the evaluation and management of hypertension. Current interests include prognostic implications of arterial mechanics in patients with kidney disease, and the effectiveness and variability of home telemonitored BP in the elderly. He also collaborates with other investigators in studies addressing diagnosis and treatment modalities in acute kidney injury, the use of combination ACE/ARB therapy in diabetic kidney disease (VA Nephron-D Trial), and mechanisms of brain osmolyte adaptation in psychiatric disease, schizophrenia in particular.
Dr. Peixoto has an interest in international health, and is the program officer for a collaboration between Yale University and a hospital in Argentina (Sanatorio Allende, Cordoba) that is sponsored by the International Society of Nephrology.
He has published more than 80 peer-reviewed articles and book chapters in nephrology and hypertension, and is the author of a book on bedside diagnosis. He is the associate editor of Blood Pressure Monitoring, and an associate editor for hypertension for NephSAP (CME publication of the American Society of Nephrology). He is also on the editorial board of the American Journal of Nephrology, the Brazilian Journal of Nephrology and the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, in addition to serving as reviewer for many internal medicine, nephrology and hypertension journals.
Program Officer. Renal Sisters Program of the International Society of Nephrology. Officer representing Yale in the partnership with Sanatorio Allende of Cordoba, Argentina.
Education & Training
- Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina (1992)
- Internal Medicine Residency
- University of Connecticut
- Chief Medical Resident
- UCONN Health Center
- Nephrology Fellowship
- Yale University
Honors & Recognition
- Young Investigator Award in the Clinical Sciences
Eastern Chapter of the American Society of Hypertension (2007)
- Fellow of the American Society of Hypertension
- Renal Educational Ambassador
International Society of Nephrology (2009)
- Francis Gilman Blake Teaching Award
Yale University School of Medicine (2010)
- Fellow of the American Society of Nephrology (Investigator Pathway)
- Bohmfalk Prize (Basic Sciences)
Yale University School of Medicine (2008)
- Asghar Rastegar Teaching Award
Yale Internal Medicine Training Program (2008)
- Asghar Rastegar Teaching Award 1999-2000
Yale Internal Medicine Training Program (2000)
- Abstract reviewer, American Society of Hypertension (12/1/2010 - 01/30/2012)
- American Society of Hypertension, Eastern Chapter (12/01/2011 - 12/01/2014)
- American Society of Nephrology (11/01/2010 - 11/01/2013)
- Associate Editor (Hypertension), NephSAP (American Society of Nephrology) (11/01/2010 - 11/01/2012)
- Team Leader (Hypertension), American Society of Nephrology (07/01/2011 - 07/01/2012)
- Chair, NIA/NIH (07/01/2011 - 07/01/2016)
- American Society of Hypertension (07/01/2010 - 09/30/2010)
- Abstract Reviewer, American Society of Nephrology (07/01/2006 - 08/01/2010)
- Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology (01/01/2011 - 01/01/2014)
- Associate Editor, Blood Pressure Monitoring (Journal) (01/01/2007 - 01/01/2012)
- American Journal of Nephrology (01/01/2005 - 01/01/2012)