Decision Making; Geriatrics; Advance Care Planning; Patient Preference; Health Care
The long–term goal of Dr. Fried’s research is to improve treatment decision-making for older persons. It seeks to enhance the frequency and quality of shared decision–making in order to provide patients with care that best meets their treatment preferences. In order to achieve this goal, her research has focused on a) expanding the treatment choices available to older persons for their care, b) eliciting their preferences for these different options, and c) identifying barriers to honoring patients’ preferences.
Specialized Terms: Treatment decision-making; Preferences; Advance care planning; Multiple conditions
- Thomas J, O’Leary JR, Fried TR. Clinical experience as a determinant of physicians' willingness to comply with the requests of patients at the end of life. J Gen Intern Med 2014;29:1048-54.
- Amjad H, Towle V, Fried T. Association of experience with illness and end-of-life care with advance care planning. J Am Geriatr Soc 2014;62:1304-9.
- Fried TR, Tinetti ME, Towle V, O’Leary JR, Iannone L. Effects of benefits and harms on older persons’ willingness to take primary cardiovascular medication. Arch Intern Med 2011; 171:923-928. PMC3101287.
- Fried TR, Tinetti ME, Iannone L. Primary care clinicians’ experiences with treatment decision-making for older persons with multiple conditions. Arch Intern Med 2010; 171:75-80. PMC3021478.
- Sudore RL, Fried TR. Redefining the “planning” in advance care planning: preparing for end-of-life decision making. Ann Intern Med 2010;153:256-61. PMC2935810.
- Fried TR, Bullock K, Iannone L, O’Leary JR. Understanding advance care planning as a process of health behavior change. J Am Geriatr Soc 2009;57:1547-1555.
- Fried TR, Byers AL, Gallo WT, Van Ness PH, Towle VR, O’Leary JR, Dubin JA. Prospective study of health status preferences and changes in preferences over time in older adults. Arch Intern Med 2006166:890-895.
- Fried TR, Bradley EH, Towle VR. Valuing the outcomes of treatment: Do patients and their caregivers agree? Arch Intern Med 2003163:2073-2078.