Categorical Track Application Requirements (3 years training)
There are 2 Internal Medicine Residency Programs that offer categorical tracks (3 years of training):
- Yale Internal Medicine "Traditional" CATEGORICAL* Residency Program: NRMP # 1089140CO and ACGME ID #1400821085
- Yale Internal Medicine "Primary Care" CATEGORICAL* Residency Program: NRMP # 1089140MO and ACGME ID # 1400821496
We participate in the National Residency Matching Program, and do not accept any applicants outside of the match.
We encourage applicants interested in a categorical track internship with one of our internal medicine training programs to apply to both residency programs. Students do not reduce their competitiveness for either program by applying to both programs.
Both Residency Programs who offer a categorical track are integrated into the core missions of our Department and have many areas of overlap while also offering unique training opportunities. Our Primary Care and Traditional Residency Programs provide outstanding clinical training and academic opportunities for students interested in a career in internal medicine whether it be as a practicing or academic General Internist or Subspecialist. Graduates of either program have equally flexibile career opportunities.
Click on the links below for more information about our categorical interview days and for details about both training programs.
- Interview Days Categorical Primary Care Residency
- Interview Days Categorical Traditional Residency
- Primary Care Residency Program
- Traditional Residency Program
Applications for a categorical position will only be accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) administered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). We do not accept applications via FAX, email or postal services.
- ERAS Common Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean’s Letter (MSPE)
- A minimum of three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Photograph (optional, but preferred to track applicants after interviews)
- Medical School Transcripts
- USMLE Transcripts or COMLEX Transcripts
- IMG applicants, please see IMG Applicant Requirements and review FAQs