ADX-0001 (Allegro): Airway Epithelium Gene Expression in the Diagnosis of Lung Cancer
Status: Active - Closed to Enrollment
Contact: Christina Carbone (203) 737-5040
The purpose of the research study is to develop a new, more sensitive, and less invasive test for diagnosing lung cancer at an earlier stage, when it can more easily be cured. The investigators hypothesize that certain genes are expressed differently in current and former smokers who have lung cancer, and this difference in gene expression may be a biomarker for lung cancer.
Factors that allow someone to participate in a clinical trial.
- Patients being evaluated for the diagnosis of possible lung cancer or "rule out lung cancer" and undergoing clinically indicated bronchoscopy
- All patients are required to be at least 21 years of age and be able to understand and sign the informed consent form
- Patient must be a current or former cigarette smoker
Factors that do not allow someone to participate in a clinical trial.
- A pulmonary physician does not recommend that bronchoscopy be performed
- Inability to understand the written consent form and comply with requirements of the study
- History of prior primary lung cancer
- Immediately prior to bronchoscopy, the patient has been on a mechanical ventilator for >24 consecutive hours.