Steven Coca DO, MS
Acute kidney injury; Chronic kidney disease; Biomarkers
Long-term outcomes after Acute Kidney Injury in Adults Undergoing Cardiac Surgery.
Novel serum and urinary biomarkers for CKD Progression in Type 2 Diabetics.
Biomarkers to predict GFR trajectory and long-term outcomes in VAD recipients.
My research focuses on using biomarkers to improve risk-stratification for outcomes in acute and chronic kidney disease. In particular, my current research projects involve:
1) Determination of the association between AKI biomarkers in cardiac surgery patients and long-term risks for death, CKD, cardiovascular events, cognitive decline, and quality of life;
2) Using a panel of serum and urinary biomarkers of injury, inflammation and fibrosis to predict progression to CKD in a large cohort of type 2 diabetics and assesing the impact of intensive glycemic control on these markers;
3) using biomarkers of kidney injury to predict GFR trajectories and long-term outcomes in patients with advanced heart failure that require ventricular assist devices.
The ultimate goal of our work is to improve outcomes for patients with kidney disease. Thus, we have begun to conduct trials for interventions for kidney disease using biomarker-facilitated enrollment of participants.
- Coca SG, Ismail-Beigi F, Haq N, Krumholz HM, Parikh CR. Role of Intensive Glucose Control in Development of Renal End Points in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Systematic Review and Meta-analysisIntensive Glucose Control in Type 2 Diabetes. Arch Intern Med 2012;172:761-9.
- Coca SG, Jammalamadaka D, Sint K, Thiessen-Philbrook H, Shlipak MG, Zappitelli M, Devarajan P, Hashim S, Garg AX, Parikh CR. (for the TRIBE-AKI Consortium). Pre-operative albuminuria predicts acute kidney injury in patients undergoing cardiac surgery. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012;143:495-502.
- Testani JM, Kimmel, SE, Dries D, Coca SG. Prognostic importance of worsening renal function following initiation of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor therapy in patients with cardiac dysfunction. Circulation: Heart Failure 2011;4:685-91.
- Coca SG, King JT, Rosenthal RA, Perkal MF, Parikh CR. The duration of acute kidney injury is an additional parameter predicting long-term survival in diabetic veterans. Kidney Int 2010;47:926-33.
- Coca SG, Yusuf B, Shlipak MG, Garg AX, Parikh CR. Risk of mortality and other adverse outcomes after acute kidney injury: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Kidney Dis 2009; 53:961-73.
- Coca SG, Yalavarthy R, Concato J, Parikh CR. Biomarkers for the diagnosis and risk stratification of acute kidney injury: A systematic review. Kidney Int 2007; 73:1008-1016.
- Parikh CR, Coca SG, Wang Y, Masoudi FM, Krumholz HM. Long-term prognosis of acute kidney injury after acute myocardial infarction. Arch Intern Med 2008;168:987-995.
- Coca SG, Krumholz HM, Garg AX, Parikh CR. Under-representation of kidney disease in randomized trials of cardiovascular disease. JAMA 2006;296:1377-1384.