Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Community Health Workers; Tuberculosis; Global Health; HIV Infections; AIDS-Related Opportunistic Infections; Community-Based Participatory Research
Sheela Shenoi is an Assistant Professor of Medicine in the AIDS Program of the Section of Infectious Diseases at Yale University School of Medicine. She conducts clinical research on HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis with a focus on resource-limited settings. Dr. Shenoi has worked in South Africa to study the epidemiology of drug resistant tuberculosis and tuberculosis infection control strategies. She currently develops and implements community-based projects that emphasize the integration of HIV and tuberculosis services to improve prevention, care and treatment for patients with HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis. She serves as a member of Yale’s Global Health Program committee of the Department of Medicine.
Dr. Shenoi received her M.P.H. from Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine and her M.D. from the University of Connecticut. She is a member of the International AIDS Society, the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease. Dr. Shenoi was honored as a Fulbright Scholar and was awarded an international clinical research fellowship in global health by the U.S. National Institutes of Health Fogarty International Center for Advanced Study in the Health Sciences.
Specialized Terms: HIV/AIDS; Tuberculosis; Screening; Improving Clinical Outcomes; Resource-limited settings
- Gilbert JA, Long EF, Brooks RP, Friedland GH, Moll AP, Townsend JP, Galvani AP, Shenoi SV. Integrating Community-Based Interventions to Reverse the Convergent TB/HIV Epidemics in Rural South Africa. PloS One 2015. 10(5): e0126267. doi:10.1371/journal.pone
- Jacobson KB, Tate M, Eksteen F, Moll A, Padayatchi, Freidland GH, Shenoi SV. Care of the patient with XDR-TB who has failed treatment. Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2015. 3: 269-270.
- Jacobson KB, Moll AP, Friedland GH, Shenoi SV. Successful Tuberculosis Treatment Outcomes among HIV/TB Coinfected Patients Down-Referred from a District Hospital to Primary Health Clinics in Rural South Africa. PloS One 2015. 10(5): e0127024. doi:10.1371/
- Lygizos M, Shenoi SV, Brooks RP, Bhushan A, Brust JCM, Zelterman D, Deng Y, Northrup V, Moll AP, Friedland GH. Natural ventilation reduces high TB transmission risk in traditional homes in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013, 13:300 doi:10.1186/1471-2334-13-300.
- Shenoi SV, Brooks RP, Catterick K, Moll AP, Friedland GH. 'Cough officer' nurses in a general medical clinic successfully detect drug-susceptible and -resistant tuberculosis. Public Health Action. 2013, 3(1): 46-50.
- Shenoi SV, Brooks RP, Barbour R, Altice FL, Zelterman D, Moll AP, Master I, van der Merwe TL, Friedland GH. Survival from XDR-TB is Associated with Modifiable Clinical Characteristics in Rural South Africa. Plos One. 2012, 7(3): e31786. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0031786. PMCID 3295798.
- Heysell SK, Shenoi SV, Catterick K, Thomas TA, Friedland G. Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nasal carriage among hospitalized patients with tuberculosis in rural KwaZulu-Natal. South African Medical Journal. 2011, 101:332-334. NIHMS 261602
- Thomas TA, Shenoi SV, Heysell SK, Eksteen FJ, Sunkari VB, Gandhi NR, Friedland G, Shah NS. Extensively drug resistant tuberculosis in children with human immunodeficiency virus in rural South Africa. International Journal of Tuberculosis & Lung Disease. 2010, 14(10):1244–1251. NIHMS 261600
- Shenoi SV, Escombe AR, Friedland G. Transmission of Drug-Susceptible and Drug-Resistant Tuberculosis and the Critical Importance of Airborne Infection Control in the Era of HIV Infection and Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy Rollouts. Clin Infect Dis. 2010, 50(S3):S231–S237. NIHMS 261603
- Shenoi S, Heysell S, Moll T, Friedland G. Multidrug-resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis: consequences for the global HIV community. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases 2009, 22:11–17. PMCID 3013226.
- What Motivates Use of Community-based HIV Testing in Rural South Africa? Int J STD AIDS. 2015 Jul 1. pii: 0956462415592789.
- Active case finding for tuberculosis among people who inject drugs on methadone treatment in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania INT J TUBERC LUNG DIS 18(7):793–798