Influenza in Birds; Infection; Influenza, Human; Disorders of Environmental Origin; Occupational Diseases; Zoonoses; Environmental Illness; Hearing Loss
Public Health Interests
Avian Flu; Bioinformatics; Cross-Species Transmision; Developing Countries (health); Environmental Health; Flu; Climate Change; Infectious Disease Transmission; International Health; Occupational Health; Public health practice; Risk Science; Tropical Diseases; Zoonosis
I am engaged in research looking at human animal health interactions, including transmission of zoonotic disease and animals serving as sentinels for biological, chemical, and physical health hazards in the environment (like the "canary in the coalmine").
I also research the effects of noise on health, particularly noise-induced hearing loss and its prevention.
Extensive Research Description
- Occupational infectious disease risks in animal farm workers (swine workers and poultry workers)
- Pandemic influenza prevention in swine workers
- Global surveillance of emerging infectious disease in wildlife (USAID PREDICT)
- Intervention study for Prevention of noise induced hearing loss
- Intervention study of "One Health" approach to prevention of zoonotic diseases in developing country setting.
- Study of health and occupational illness and injury in veterinary technicians.
- Rabinowitz PM, Galusha D, Vegso S, Michalove J, Rinne S, Scotch M, Kane M. Comparison of Human and Animal Surveillance Data for H5N1 Influenza A in Egypt 2006-2011. PLoS One. 2012;7(9):e43851
- Rabinowitz P, Conti L.One Health and Emerging Infectious Diseases: Clinical Perspectives.Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2012 Sep 11.
- Rabinowitz PM, Galusha D, Kirsche SR, Cullen MR, Slade MD, Dixon-Ernst C. Effect of daily noise exposure monitoring on annual rates of hearing loss in industrial workers. Occup Environ Med. 2011 Jun;68(6):414-8.
- Rabinowitz PM, Scotch ML, Conti LA. Animals as sentinels: using comparative medicine to move beyond the laboratory. ILAR J. 2010;51(3):262-7.
- Rabinowitz, P., Perdue, M., Mumford, E. Contact Variables for Exposure to Avian Influenza H5N1 Virus at the Human-Animal Interface. Zoonoses Public Health. 2009
- Rabinowitz, P.M., Dein, F.J., Liu, A., Chudnov, D., Odofin, L., Gordon, Z. Animals as Sentinels for Bioterrorism Agents, An Evidence Based Review. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006, 12:647-52.