Hypothermia, Induced; Outcome Assessment (Health Care); Venous Thromboembolism
Pulmonary embolism occurs when a clot blocks an artery that takes blood from the right side of the heart to the lungs. The condition is potentially life threatening. Finding methods to identify patients at greatest risk of harm (i.e. risk stratifying) from pulmonary embolism is important. Identifying patients at risk for harm allows us to offer aggressive interventions that may save lives. Comparing the effectiveness of various interventions will allow physicians to determine the optimal treatment for patients of all severities.
ICU patients are among the sickest in the hospital. They often have a long and complex hospital course. Studying the process and outcomes of these patients provides incites into the care they receive. Outcomes of interest include mortality, morbidity, length of stay and infections. Once information is gathered regarding the process and outcomes, interventions can be studied with the aims of improving outcomes for ICU patients in general.
Extensive Research Description
- Site Primary Investigator for the MARINER trial which is a multi-center trial that seeks to determine the ability of an oral anti-coagulant to prevent clots in recently discharged medical patients.
- Initiation of Pulmonary Embolism Response Team (PERT) and the accompanying data base that will allow us to analyze the safety and efficacy of interventions used to treat patients with pulmonary embolus.
- Sub-investigator in BEAT trial (pharmacological management of Pulmonary Arterial Hypertension) and MERCURY (outpatient management of low risk pulmonary embolism).
Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension.
Marshall PS, Kerr KM, Auger WR; Chronic Thromboembolic Pulmonary Hypertension; Clinics in Chest Medicine; 34(4), December 2013
Controversies in the Management of Life-Threatening Pulmonary Embolism.
Marshall PS, Mathews K, Siegel MD; Management of Life Threatening Pulmonary Embolus; Journal of Intensive Care Medicine; 26(5) September/October 2011.
- Marshall PS, Cain H; Upper Extremity Deep Vein Thrombosis; Clinics in Chest Medicine; 31(4), December 2010.
- Marshall PS, Johnson K, Monteiro B, Siegel M Computed Tomography Can Predict Adverse Outcomes in Patients Presenting with Pulmonary Embolism Original research abstract presented at Chest 2005, November 1st, 2005.
Characteristics Associated with Poor Outcome in Patients Acutely Infected with Influenza A
Angelo SJ, Marshall PS et al Clinical Characteristics Associated with Poor Outcome in Patients Acutely Infected with Influenza A Connecticut Medicine 64(4): 199 – 205, April 2004.
- Marshall PS, Possick J, Chupp G; ICU Management of Status Asthmaticus; Clinical Pulmonary Medicine 16(6), November 2009.
- Marshall PS, Siegel MD; Therapeutic Hypothermia; PCCU Volume 23, Lesson 22, 2009 (http://www.chestnet.org/education/online/pccu/vol23/lessons21 22/index.php)
- Marotta S, Belchikov Y, Banker K, Marshall PS; Emergency Management of Acute Severe Asthma Exacerbation in the Adult Population; Journal Of Asthma and Allergy Educators, October 2010.
Controversies in the Management of Life Threatening Pulmonary Embolism
Marshall PS, Jimenez D, Tapson V; Seminars in Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
Novel Uses of Targeted Temperature Management
McGinnis J, Marshall PS, Honiden S; Novel Uses of Targeted Temperature Management; Clinics in Chest Medicine (36): 385 - 400
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Marshall PS, Tapson V, Jiménez D: Controversies in the Management of Life-Threatening Pulmonary Embolism. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2015 Dec; 2015 Nov 23. PMID: 26595043
- Marshall PS, Kerr KM, Auger WR: Chronic thromboembolic pulmonary hypertension. Clin Chest Med. 2013 Dec; 2013 Oct 20. PMID: 24267304
- Marshall PS, Mathews KS, Siegel MD: Diagnosis and management of life-threatening pulmonary embolism. J Intensive Care Med. 2011 Sep-Oct; 2011 May 23. PMID: 21606060
- Marshall PS, Cain H: Upper extremity deep vein thrombosis. Clin Chest Med. 2010 Dec; 2010 Aug 11. PMID: 21047583
- Angelo SJ, Marshall PS, Chrissoheris MP, Chaves AM: Clinical characteristics associated with poor outcome in patients acutely infected with Influenza A. Conn Med. 2004 Apr. PMID: 15095826